Start by marking “Queen of the Black Black” as Want to Read:
Queen of the Black Black

Queen of the Black Black

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This collection features all of Girlhero creator Megan Kelso's non-Bottlecap stories from that title as well as stories from Action Girl and Dark Horse Presents. Megan scrutinizes bicycle messengers, venereal diseases, infidelity, unwanted pregnancies, temporary work assignments, family reunions, and classroom daydreams in a subtle and unexpected manner. Two brand new stor ...more
Published July 1st 1998 by Highwater Books

To ask other readers questions about Queen of the Black Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of the Black Black

Jan
Lack of Comic-Book Education

In these early short stories from the 1990s, Megan Kelso explores situations most people are uncomfortable with, taboos most people would rather sweep under the rug. Instead of exploiting and scandalizing these situations in predictable ways, however, Kelso looks at them from unconventional and fascinating perspectives. Details emerge into the spotlight that usually remain hidden, details that ring true because they remind the reader of essential but long-forgotten fe
Raina
I liked this a lot more than Artichoke Tales. Unsurprisingly, the collection is uneven, and I tended to enjoy the realistic stories featuring young adults the most. But maybe that's just where I am right now. I don't always find Kelso's drawing style aesthetically pleasing, and her early stuff feels especially crowded and hard to follow. But I LOVED the spread where a young woman rips her own heart out - totally frameable - layout, everything. And I loved the stories of sexual exploration. It's ...more
David Schaafsma
This is a re-release of a collection of Kelso's early stories, in which she admits she is learning how to draw and tell stories, from the last nineties. Some of it is from her Girl Hero work, which established her name in the comics world, I guess, and preceded The Squirrel Mother and Artichoke Tales, neither of which I liked much), but I liked this collection actually a little more than the the latter two, because of some of the exploration here, the experimentation and fresh points of view, ev ...more
Meghan
A collection of early, self-published comics by the creater of Girlhero. Definitely explorations by someone trying out different styles, but the observations, relationships and scenes drawn in these short stories are sophisticated, perceptive, and have a consistent point of view or outlook that ties them together as the work of a single author. She also has a good sense of when to end a story.
Molly
I really like Megan Kelso. Some of the stories in this I'd read before; others I hadn't seen. The last story, co-authored by her father, (view spoiler) is a real highlight. The art is beautiful and the story is moving and realistic.
Stewart Tame
Even the early in Kelso's career, her work was filled with promise. There's a depth of emotion, as well as some surprisingly subtle effects, to these stories. In "Pennyroyal Tea," we see the beginning of what would later blossom into Artichoke Tales. Good stuff!
Amy
I really enjoyed this collection of short comics. Particular favourites were the Married Man strip, the Pianist Breakup and the one where the girl rips her own heart out. Didn't really enjoy the one with the Artichoke people, although I understand there's a whole book of them.
Susan Rose
I don't know exactly why but I just didn't like this graphic novel short story collection. I suppose the stories just didn't resonate with me, i didn't get enough time to know the characters and the artwork didn't make up for it.

This one is just not for me.
Emilia P
Megan Kelso, you are a bonafide weirdo. Like, I have no idea where you're coming from in your brain but it is intriguing and sweet.
Short clips of your stories, some of the artsy, some of them overly literal, a single, sad Artichoke Tale. Something of the quiet harshness of life from a number of different artistic/plot angles. Keep it up, lady!

Deborah
I came upon this book and with her long history of writing graphics, decided to give it a try - enjoyed most pieces - very quirky...will investigate more of hers for next graphic novel mood!
Not a good one. Mostly it was just kind of dumb, both the drawing style and what they were about.
this is an old favorite...
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia added it
May 26, 2015
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Pamela
Pamela added it
Apr 19, 2015
Dylan Rosales
Dylan Rosales marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Katie Flynn
Katie Flynn marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
She graduated in 1994 from The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington.

Kelso started working in the 1990s, with the minicomic Girlhero, which won her a Xeric Foundation grant in 1993. She has since published several other projects including Queen of the Black Black and The Squirrel Mother. She was the editor of the female cartoonist anthology, Scherherazade: Stories of Love, Treachery, Moth
More about Megan Kelso...
The Squirrel Mother Artichoke Tales Scheherazade: Comics About Love, Treachery, Mothers, and Monsters Watergate Sue From "Kubla Khan" to the Bronte Sisters to The Picture of Dorian Gray (The Graphic Canon #2)