Treasured Vows

Treasured Vows

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  11 reviews
As stubborn as she is beautiful, Phadra Abbott will not be deterred when she sets her mind on something. And now that the reckless heiress has decided to track down her spendthrift explorer father, nothing is going to stand in her way—not even her handsome, long-suffering guardian Grant Morgan.

Though strong and level-headed, Grant has watched his own life go disastrously a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published September 28th 2004 by Avon (first published January 1st 1996)

Alex
At First Sight: At 25, Phadra Abbott is tired of living in a boarding school waiting for her famous explorer father to return. So she runs away and sets her own house in London, happily thinking one of her father's only worthy discoveries - a set of priceless emeralds, left in the care of the Bank of England - will back her up financially.

But once the bills start to pile up, one of the bank directors - Sir Cecil - calls her in and gives her some shocking news. The emeralds in the bank's vault ar...more
Cherie Jensen
I really liked this story. Phadra (fay-dra) is unconventional and Grant is the opposite. Another thoroughly engaging heroine by Cathy Maxwell. Phadra reminded me a bit of Phaedra Blair in Madeline Hunter's Lessons of desire. Even their names are similar.

Grant is a great guy. He's also stunningly handsome which brings out the huntress in many women. He ignores it though. He's brilliant with money which brings him in contact with the aristocracy. He's honorable almost to a fault. Not at all like h...more
lia
I like this book and would have rated it a 4 stars if only the heroine has a sliver of common sense in her head.

There's a different between wanting equality with men with sheer stupidity and that was what she has. Stupidity. She does every stupid things possible and which the hero than has to sweep off her garbage.

The villain in the book is almost comical. It's like watching a bad soap opera.

The good thing about this book is that it actually allows the hero and the heroine to know each other...more
Jen Haile
I loves this book! Cathy Maxwell is one of my favorite authors. The heroine is adorable, courageous and honest. The hero is a bit stiff but gorgeous( I imagine Cary Grant in "Bringing up Baby", young with glasses!) He is ambitious, honorable and totally unable to deal with his attraction to the educated, eccentric and flamboyantly lovely feminist! This book is witty,sweet and tender. It really is hard to find a Cathy Maxwell novel I didn't love!
Lindsay
Generally, I liked the feminist premise. But holy crap, being a feminist and in favor of female empowerment does not mean one should run around impulsively and do whatever one wants. The heroine really would have screwed things up in reality. I wish the book had made the point that being an autonomous being is not the same as doing whatever half-baked thing waltzes across your mind.
Nunung
Not everyday you found a romance mentions Mary Wollstonecraft (and any other Feminist). This is refreshing, and enlightening for woman readers who are not lucky enough to encounter feminism idea yet.

I especially love the quotation of 'A Vindication of the Rights of Woman' on page 0 ^_^
Camille
Don't get me wrong, I adore headstrong, fiery heroines but I found Phadra Abbott, the heroine in "Treasured Vows" to be incredibly obnoxious. That made it hard for me to like this book.
Maggie V
A nice romance ... not as steamy as I usually like them, but the characters were definitely fun.
Diana
Cute Regency romance. Duels, antiquities hunting, nascent women's rights and happy ever after.
Isabel Mansfield
Another winner i love this author
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Tina Hairston
Tina Hairston marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Jul 18, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
shirin
shirin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Meena Naik
Meena Naik marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
  • The Incurable Matchmaker
  • A Place Called Home
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • The Vicar's Daughter (Regency Quartet, #1)
  • The Wife Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #2)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • Night Fever
  • One Good Turn (Nesbitt, #2)
  • A Belated Bride (Rogues, #2)
  • To Pleasure a Duke (The Husband Hunters Club, #3)
  • The Devil's Necklace (Necklace Trilogy #2)
  • The Sinner Who Seduced Me (Regency Rogues, #3)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
Four Dukes and a Devil In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5)