The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate

The Lincoln Highway: Coast to Coast from Times Square to the Golden Gate

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
It began in 1913 with a glorious new highway—stretching across 3,389 miles and 13 states—that connected the bright lights of Broadway with the foggy shores of San Francisco. It was a magnificent and meandering road that enticed millions of newly motoring Americans to hop into their Model Ts and explore the fading frontier. The Lincoln Highway. It was the road of Gettysburg...more
Published July 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Lincoln Highway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lincoln Highway

Claudia
I drove on a section of this road to work for several years. Intrigued by what was east and west of the portions I have not driven, I just had to read this book.

While not as famous, perhaps, as it's southern counterpart, Route 66 that now mostly follows I 40, this Road is US 30 and starts in Times Square and ends in San Francisco. It is parallel to I 80.

It goes through Gettysburg and Pittsburgh and through East Liverpool Ohio where Pretty Boy Floyd met his untimely end. Along the way are art d...more
John Orman
Attractions on the Lincoln Highway are grouped by state, with somewhat sparse descriptions.

I especially paid attention to the attractions around Joliet/Plainfield, IL, where the Lincoln crosses two alignments of Route 66. For 3 blocks of road in Plainfield, the two classic roads overlap!

I also learned about a third highway--Grand Army of the Republic Hwy, which runs from Cape Cod, MA to Long Beach, CA. It also runs through Joliet.
Terri
Aug 28, 2007 Terri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: road trippers
A really fun book! Part history, part travelogue, part picture book, this book gives a very detailed account on the Lincoln Highway, from NYC and ending in San Francisco. Each chapter focuses on a different state that the highway goes through. My only complaint is that the wide page format makes this book really hard to take with you anywhere or for reading in bed!
Amy
An interesting cross country tour traveling the Lincoln Highway (U.S. Rt. 30 through most of the country), one of our most scenic by-ways.

I obtained some history about many obscure places and discovered a few things that I would like to go and see.
Paul
Great book that has good information on another famous American road, which covers a truly good slice of Americana, from coast to coast.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Lesleigh Meeks
Lesleigh Meeks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Ian Swart
Ian Swart marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Ronda Kelley
Ronda Kelley marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Eric
Eric added it
Sep 10, 2013
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 22, 2013
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
David Webber
David Webber marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Gene Divens
Gene Divens marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Jeremy Sawruk
Jeremy Sawruk is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2013
Shawna Doering
Shawna Doering marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Wallis is the bestselling author of Route 66, Billy the Kid, Pretty Boy, and David Crockett. He hosts the PBS series American Roads. He voiced The Sheriff in the animated Pixar feature Cars. He lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
More about Michael Wallis...
David Crockett: The Lion of the West Billy the Kid: The Endless Ride Route 66: The Mother Road The Art of Cars Pretty Boy: The Life and Times of Charles Arthur Floyd