Start by marking “The Old Woman and The Wave” as Want to Read:
The Old Woman and The Wave

The Old Woman and The Wave

The wave loves the old woman. That is why it waits on dry land, curled over her house, bent low to hear her every word. Most of these are grumpy, though, for the old woman has lived her whole life beneath the wave and therfore can see nothing good in it. Her roof is stuck like a pincushion with umbrellas, which she hopes will stem the drippings and droppings from above. ...more
Published March 15th 1998 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about The Old Woman and The Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Woman and The Wave

Angelica
Sep 06, 2013 Angelica rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book can be similar to the Old Lady That Lived in Shoe. Except that this old lady lived in a wave. She loved the wave except for the dripping that would drip into her frying pan or hit her pillow at night. When she realizes that she needs to let go and be free she opens her world.

The pictures are very vibrant. This would be a good book for a first grader to 2nd grade reader.
Marissa García
Jan 15, 2014 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
This stunning picture book about bravery and taking chances boasts gorgeous artwork and a healthy dose of whimsy. Gorgeous.

Suggest to patrons who are looking for unique or mixed media illustration, anyone who wants a good story.
Matthew
Jun 29, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
A story of a woman who doesn't realize that keeping herself from riding the adventurous wave her life should have taken was wasting her opportunity to live the life she deserved. It was a funny story at the same time as being a cleverly meaningful one. Nicely arranged.
Marissa Garcia

Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
An out of the ordinary fable: glimpses of genius in the extended metaphor and the illustrations, though the writing trips over itself at times. Reminded me a bit of Kobo Abe's The Woman in the Dunes.
Caitlin Barclay
This book is about appreciating what you've got! The illustrations are beautiful and it is written in a way that students can try to predict what the moral of the story may be.
Rachel Jessen
Jul 27, 2008 Rachel Jessen rated it liked it
I think I liked it more than my 4 year old. She seemed bored. Or maybe she was just anxious to get on to the next book in the pile--either way, I think it wasn't a particularly good sign.
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This was a great story about seeing opportunity.
Jenny
Sep 19, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
The concept for this was a little "out there." The wave loves the woman so it hangs over her house. Hmm. I thought it was funny that her dog would go swimming in the wave. I like that she learned to love it in the end.
Lacey
Sep 06, 2016 Lacey rated it it was amazing
I thought the illustrations were nice and the story was very cute. An old lady who lives under a wave, and the wave just wants to show her the world. Sweet story, cute characters. Definitely liked this one, both my daughter and I.
Mary
Jan 12, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Love the collage style illustrations! The scene with the old woman and the dog in their boat on top of the wave is my favorite. :)
Degan Walters
Degan Walters rated it really liked it
May 04, 2014
Esh
Esh rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2007
Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Beautiful mixed media/collage illustration and a quirky story. We loved the imagery.
Dimitri
Dimitri rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2007
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Dimitri Anastasopoulos
Dimitri Anastasopoulos rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2013
Alisha
Mar 20, 2011 Alisha rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Liked the illustrations. An interesting story about being ready to see your life as an adventure.
Jade Trinket
Jade Trinket rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Rachael Oglesby
Rachael Oglesby rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2007
Carolina
Carolina rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2007
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2011
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2009
Jessi
Jessi rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2007
Amanda Lyons
Amanda Lyons rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2011
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
duncan
duncan rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2008
Bekah
Bekah rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
J.j.
J.j. rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012