Start by marking “The Old Woman and The Wave” as Want to Read:
The Old Woman and The Wave

The Old Woman and The Wave

The wave loves the old woman. That is why it waits on dry land, curled over her house, bent low to hear her every word. Most of these are grumpy, though, for the old woman has lived her whole life beneath the wave and therfore can see nothing good in it. Her roof is stuck like a pincushion with umbrellas, which she hopes will stem the drippings and droppings from above. Bu ...more
Published March 15th 1998 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about The Old Woman and The Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Old Woman and The Wave

Angelica
Sep 06, 2013 Angelica rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book can be similar to the Old Lady That Lived in Shoe. Except that this old lady lived in a wave. She loved the wave except for the dripping that would drip into her frying pan or hit her pillow at night. When she realizes that she needs to let go and be free she opens her world.

The pictures are very vibrant. This would be a good book for a first grader to 2nd grade reader.
Matthew
Jun 29, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
A story of a woman who doesn't realize that keeping herself from riding the adventurous wave her life should have taken was wasting her opportunity to live the life she deserved. It was a funny story at the same time as being a cleverly meaningful one. Nicely arranged.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, kids-books
An out of the ordinary fable: glimpses of genius in the extended metaphor and the illustrations, though the writing trips over itself at times. Reminded me a bit of Kobo Abe's The Woman in the Dunes.
Marissa García
Jan 15, 2014 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
This stunning picture book about bravery and taking chances boasts gorgeous artwork and a healthy dose of whimsy. Gorgeous.

Suggest to patrons who are looking for unique or mixed media illustration, anyone who wants a good story.
Marissa Garcia

Rachel Jessen
Jul 27, 2008 Rachel Jessen rated it liked it
I think I liked it more than my 4 year old. She seemed bored. Or maybe she was just anxious to get on to the next book in the pile--either way, I think it wasn't a particularly good sign.
Caitlin Barclay
This book is about appreciating what you've got! The illustrations are beautiful and it is written in a way that students can try to predict what the moral of the story may be.
Cheryl
Apr 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This was a great story about seeing opportunity.
Lacey
Sep 06, 2016 Lacey rated it it was amazing
I thought the illustrations were nice and the story was very cute. An old lady who lives under a wave, and the wave just wants to show her the world. Sweet story, cute characters. Definitely liked this one, both my daughter and I.
Jenny
Sep 19, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
The concept for this was a little "out there." The wave loves the woman so it hangs over her house. Hmm. I thought it was funny that her dog would go swimming in the wave. I like that she learned to love it in the end.
Tiffany
Sep 18, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Loved the art work.
Mary
Jan 12, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Love the collage style illustrations! The scene with the old woman and the dog in their boat on top of the wave is my favorite. :)
Alisha
Mar 20, 2011 Alisha rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Liked the illustrations. An interesting story about being ready to see your life as an adventure.
Renee
Jul 31, 2008 Renee rated it really liked it
Never too old, or young for that matter, to leave what you know and sail on to new adventures.
Elizabeth
Nov 01, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Beautiful mixed media/collage illustration and a quirky story. We loved the imagery.
Emily
Apr 24, 2010 Emily rated it it was amazing
I really like Shelley Jackson! Nice illustrations, great story!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Worlanso Save
Worlanso Save marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Mark Fehlandt
Mark Fehlandt rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Michele Harrod
Michele Harrod marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Judi Ferrari
Judi Ferrari rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Harry Whitewolf
Harry Whitewolf marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Quizmo
Quizmo rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016