Start by marking “Serial Killers” as Want to Read:
Serial Killers

Serial Killers

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  335 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A well-liked, respected, caring pillar of the community - or an outsider, socially inept and with a frightening appearance? Wearing many different masks, serial killers are among the most disturbing and dangerous violent criminals in existence.They are individuals who have a history of multiple murders, normally committed over a long period of time and often with periods o ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Omnipress (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Serial Killers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serial Killers

Nerdish Mum
When I got this book I thought that it would be a look more at the serial killers who totally flew under the radar and "lived among us." What I got however was a list, which I could have Googled, with what amounted to a brief synopsis of each killer. More like a mini encyclopedia.

Having said that, it's not a terrible book I just feel that it isn't as advertised and I was looking forward to a more in depth psychological book investigating how these people lived such normal lives on the outside.

O
♥Belleza★✰
This is another compilation of true crime accounts. It covers ‘Serial Killers’, with the loose definition of a serial killer being a person who kills multiple people with a cooling off period between. There are some that have issues with that definition.

However I am not here to debate that. This book covers killers from Dr. William Palmer of Rugeley, Staffordshire, Britain, the first documented murder he committed was in 1846, it continues down to our day, the last account being of Angel Resendi
Chelsea Doshier
Jun 08, 2012 Chelsea Doshier rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys True Crime
My grandmother bought this book for me a couple of years ago for $30 at Barnes and Nobles. It's a pretty huge book in length, hard copy with a sleeve. I've recently seen that it's also available for .99 cents on the Kindle Fire. (I don't regret ever asking for the actual hard-back copy because it's 100% accurate with photos and enough detail. Worth the $30)

Aside from my friends judging me based on my interest in atrocious crimes such as these, I don't see any reason why someone would not like t
Kevin G
Serial Killers are thankfully rare, though you do wonder when you read this book, All are driven by compulsion; the triggers are multiple... greed, hatred, sexual deviance or its it simply a sick mind? What is amazing is that most operate in society in a normal way and are not seen as a threat. Catching these killers also seems to require an element of luck, Ted Bundy, the Yorkshire Ripper are good examples and would not have been caught had it not been for a lot of luck. Serial Killers document ...more
Sanjay Tillani
It is a nice book about serial killers. But i not good for explaining the psychology of these serial killer. Although the book was good but the description is limited.
Philip
easy read, more like searching on Wikipedia than an actual book.
Mary Baldwin
Not a book to choose if you're after detail or analysis. But if you want some quick facts or have a general interest in the subject, it'll do the job. I actually found it most useful as a source of cases I hadn't heard of, so a useful stepping stone to some new material.

Not entertaining, not especially useful, but not a total waste of a read. Oh and it is well penned, always a bonus-reads a bit like individual magazine articles.
Leanne Hills
I love true life crime/murder stories. Scares the life out of me but then again I do love a good scare occasionally. I can't believe there have been so many sick horrible crimes committed over the past decades. I love thinking about what has made these people so evil, is it just the way they were born or is it circumstance, especially so when there are more than one person involved in the horrendous crime. Makes you shudder!
Whitney
Jan 16, 2015 Whitney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fun
This is a very interesting read if you want to know about all the famous serial killers. It doesnt go into much detail about each one but it does give a broad prospective of who they were and what they did. It did give some details of how they murdered their victims or where they were found. Some details left me shuddering. Over all it was very interesting and it left me wanting to know more about some of the serial killers.
Rebecca
This is my current coffee table book, and it represents my fav kind of crime book. I only like crime books that are big picture books with only like 5 pages tops on each "insident." I own/ have owned so many of these books that I live in fear I will die under suspicious circumstances and stragers will find these books and judge me unfairly.
Darren Hughes
Bundy, Shipman, Zodiac, BTK, Night Stalker, Fred & Rose West! You name it they are all here in this book. 5 to 8 pages on the sickest minds of our time. Not too much detail but just enough to keep you flicking through the pages.
5/5 brilliant must read book if you like true crime!!!
Nikki
Quite the interesting read. This book gives in some insight into the serial killers. I read about some I hadn't heard of before. It seems there were just as many outside of the US as there are in the US.
If you're into true crimes then you'll enjoy it.
Tracy
Read like an encyclopedia or who's who of serial killers. A little too graphic for me. I was hoping to hear more of the why and/or forensics but not so much.
Melinda Heans
This book was packed full of information on serial killers. I loved it, but one thing that disappointed me was that Robert pickton wasn't in it.
Amanda
A great insight into the twisted minds of some well known serial killers. This book was easy to read and hard to put down.
Michael Finn
This book is a great look into the minds of different serial killers. A definite must read if you are interested in this topic.
Rebecca
I enjoyed this book, for what it is. Rather sensational, and lots of gruesome pictures. Nice bedtime reading!
Shylah
Very interesting. Had some stories about some I never heard of before.
Neal Hughes
Not for bedtime but a great insight into dark minds!
Zusumi Meza
Fed my fascination!
Couldn't put it down!
Sherry Lee
FREAKY! Omg! Very interesting!
Alicia parker
Alicia parker marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Dee Servance
Dee Servance marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Ellen Stojanovski
Ellen Stojanovski marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Smaran Kapoor
Smaran Kapoor marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Hinken
Hinken marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • The World's Most Evil Psychopaths: Horrifying True-Life Cases
  • One of Your Own: The Life and Death of Myra Hindley
  • Serial Killers
  • Unsolved Serial Killings (True Crime Library RJPP, #10)
  • Houses of Death
  • Talking with Serial Killers: The Most Evil People in the World Tell Their Own Stories
  • No Money 4
  • Som om ingenting
  • The Children and the Wolves
  • The Dollmage
  • Bind, Torture, Kill: The Inside Story of the Serial Killer Next Door
  • Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • The World's Most Bizarre Murders: True Stories That Will Shock and Amaze You
  • Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Serial Killers: The Method and Madness of Monsters
  • Serial Killers
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
William Murray was an American fiction editor and staff writer at The New Yorker for more than thirty years. He wrote a series of mystery novels set in the world of horse racing, many featuring Shifty Lou Anderson, a professional magician and horseplayer. Among his many contributions to The New Yorker was the magazine's "Letters from Italy" of which he was the sole author. The majority of his late ...more
More about William Murray...
City of the Soul: A Walk in Rome Fortissimo: Backstage at the Opera with Sacred Monsters and Young Singers Janet, My Mother and Me: A Memoir of Growing Up with Janet Flanner and Natalia Danesi Murray Tip on a Dead Crab The Last Italian: Portrait of a People