Start by marking “Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond” as Want to Read:

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From two leaders in executive education at Harvard Business School, here are the mental habits and proven strategies you need to achieve outstanding results in any negotiation.

Whether you’ve “seen it all” or are just starting out, Negotiation Genius will dramatically improve your negotiating skills and confidence. Drawing on decades of behavioral research plus the experien
Published August 26th 2008 by Bantam (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Negotiation Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Negotiation Genius

Kristin
A "how-to" book for negotiating. The framework is so simple and easy to follow, it could be a cookbook. I hate conflict, I hate negotiating, but if I don't (for example in job-hunting), I could lose big-time. I'm planning to buy this book so I can do it with more confidence and enthusiasm.

Here are my notes:
Negotiation genius is about negotiating successful deals – consistently- while still maintaining integrity and strengthening relationships and reputation.

Claiming value in negotiation: the f
Tim L
Negotiation Genius: Take-Away Points

Introduction: Becoming a negotiation genius
Negotiation genius is a person who manages to negotiate successful deals-consistently- while still maintaining their integrity and strengthening their relationships and reputation.
Fight over exclusivity- supplier for multiple customers won’t budge
Diplomatic Impasse- UN wants the money the US owes
A last minute demand- the contract changes (major) at the last minute
A campaign catastrophe- Campaign manager prints all the
Mof
How to negotiate from the legendary Bazerman.

Overconfidence is good when implementing decisions. It provides with motivation
and inspiration to improve performance. Overconfidence is not good for making decisions. See future prospects as better than they are.

Less likely to succeed if you do not trust your opponent. Do not suspect all their motivations
Avoid negotiating under time pressure.
Fixed pie bias. Sometimes negotiations are not a zero sum game.
Prepare for negotiation;
What are top prio
Linh Pham
This is a very, very good book. Honestly I didn't think about negotiation at all before, mostly because I haven't really had a chance or the need to use negotiation skills. Or simply thought that I'd use my intuition when it comes to negotiation. And this book proves me wrong, because there're certainly tons of things one can do to prepare for a negotiation before it starts, and even changes the result when the negotiation seems to end.

This is a very detailed work, starting with the negotiator'
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro El negociador genial, de Deepak Malhotra.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: habilidades directivas, negociar con eficacia.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro El negociador genial, Cómo obtener grandes resultados en la mesa de negociación y más allá: El negociador genial
Kristin Lieber

Here are my notes:
Negotiation genius is about negotiating successful deals ��� consistently- while still maintaining integrity and strengthening relationships and reputation.

Claiming value in negotiation: the
Bob Selden
“Negotiation Genius” is another book on the subject in a long line of similar books. It is not surprising that the authors, Malhotra and Bazerman are both professors at Harvard Business School, genesis of the most famous book ever on the subject “Getting to Yes” by Roger Fisher, Bruce M. Patton, and William L. Ury

Like “Getting to Yes”, this book is simplicity itself. Full of case studies that explain and demonstrate “how to” it provides the reader with five clear principles to apply in any nego
Chris
I'd like to give the book 3.5 stars. I think this book provides excellent real-world examples of negotiating value-creating solutions for all parties to an agreement. While this is a business book, the principles discussed are applicable more generally to how we 'negotiate' the world.

Negotiation Genius is doggedly practical, and that's both its greatest strength, and greatest weakness. I arrived at this book through the earlier work of Max Bazerman on cognitive biases, "Judgment in Managerial De
Justin Jaeger
Dec 17, 2011 Justin Jaeger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High school students... learn this stuff early!
Recommended to Justin by: Sam Imperati
Shelves: read-for-school
I read this for the negotiation section of a Leadership Effectiveness and Development course in my MBA program and I totally needed it. The readings really provide inspiration for negotiation and get you excited to try out the techniques, which is good because the negotiation learning process itself can be pretty humiliating and humbling for a novice like me. The book built my ego back up to return after I felt the terrible dissatisfaction of compromises and settlements worked for in class. It s ...more
Jeffrey Cohan
The reality is, you don't know what you don't know about negotiating. What you don't know can cost you a lot of money and frustration. And not just in the business world. In your personal life, as well.

For instance, if you don't know what "logrolling" means, you would be well-advised to read this book.

Is this the best book to read on negotiating? Well, I haven't read any others. But I can tell you that my negotiation instructor at one of the top universities in the country assigned this book as
John
One of the best books on negotiation, packed with both general principles, specific tactics, and vivid anecdotes that illustrate each point. Malhotra and Bazerman have taught negotiation and decision-making have had some of the best audiences in the world to teach to and to draw examples from, and it all comes through in this highly accessible book.
Mr
"Can be useful"
Overall
Performance
Story
I really wanted to like this book. I got this one because i plan on getting a car soon and i wanted an edge.

This book is more for people who negotiate for a living, and was not very helpful at all for what i was looking to do.

Although i did find two things useful, "anchoring" (the reason car dealers use MSRP), and contingency clause (not useful for the car but possibly useful for other negotiations)

The book is a little dry and i could only take it down in
Hope
Fascinating read complete with interesting business & political examples. The only thing that annoyed me were all the acronyms.
Elizabeth
I've read this book at least three times now (I work for one of the authors) and still actively like it, so that's gotta tell you something. I don't have any background in negotiation, but this is very lay-accessible and has interesting ideas which are relevant in plenty of non-business situations (business ones, too, but I figure that's a given). Testimonial: In a conversation with friends about pharmaceutical companies, I found myself referencing the chapter about that in this book and actuall ...more
Amanda
Read this book for class and really enjoyed it. It was helpful, clear advice and, as they point out, pretty much everything we do as humans is some type of negotiation so whether or not negotiating is a big part of your job, there is a lot you can learn here about being a better human and getting a lot more achieved.

Reading during the government shutdown also helped emphasize what idiots politicians are and how terribly they are failing all of us. These authors must be having a rough week.
Nick Klagge
This book was assigned for my grad school class on negotiation and conflict management. Although my reading of it was drawn out over half a semester, this book would be readable in a couple of hours. It was a fairly entertaining read and I think it had some useful instruction, though I haven't had a chance to test it out in any real scenarios. Although the title is "Negotiation Genius," I mostly feel like having read it will help me not be a negotiation idiot.
Jaime
This book provides a foundational understanding around how to (within reason) work toward win-win experiences. It is full of stories that I'm enjoying sharing and discussing with friends.

It was a little slower/denser of a read than I expected, because I loved and wanted to remember the stories and I took time to reflect on the lessons. I I ended up reading it over two weeks, in small bursts. You may want to budget more time for this book, too.
George A
I like the fact the authors deal with principles rather than magical recipes to achieve the desired results. They teach simple but profound concepts that can be leveraged in any relationship and not only in the bargaining table.
Ben
A very well written book. Easy to read, easy to digest, great examples, and very logically drawn out. I really appreciate all the real-world examples. For anyone in sales or business or who just want to better understand the human psychology behind getting the best deal possible (for all parties), I highly encourage the read.
Nick
While I'm not sure that this book breaks any truly new ground after "Getting to Yes," nonetheless, Negotiation Genius does offer very sound instruction, great examples, and a thoroughly modern sensibility for how to negotiate. If you read only one book on negotiation, this should be the one.
Paul
Hands down, the finest book on negotiation stratgy I have ever read. No gimmicks, just pure strategy and technique. My only critique is the annoying use of the phrase "negotiation genius" through out the book. Recommended read for anyone, no matter your profession or trade.
Allison
It was hard to commit to giving this type of book 5 stars. But when I thought about my criteria, this book truly fits in a five-star category. This book has fundamentally changed the way I view negotiation and I use skills I learned from this book every day.
Stephen
THE best book I've ever read on negotiation. Period. The best part are the many real scenarios used throughout the book to illustrate each and every concept or rule. Get it. Read it. Compared to this, "Getting to Yes" is a snoozer.
Joseph Draschil
An absolutely fascinating book on human interaction, with application beyond just our usual concept of negotiation; including interpersonal relationships, sales, and business in general.

This one gets a strong five stars.
Ted Ryan
Very good book with lots of sound advice. I think it will take some time to integrate all of what I learned and I have already re-read one of the chapters.

Read it and apply it, you'll be glad you did.
Dan
Oct 31, 2007 Dan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked up from the web. This is more interesting (to me) for the objective approach it advertises and the psychology involved than for any resemblance to the True Path of Negotiating.
Alexei
Practical, substantive on subject matter and devoid of hokey language or attempts to bowdlerize the material in order to secure a larger audience ala that Sideshow Bob guy.
George
I had to read this for my MBA program. I found it less helpful than "Getting to Yes" and "Difficult Conversations". I would not recommend it.
Erica
I would recommend this book to ANYONE who needs to understand more about negotiating in any situation, home purchasing, business, raise, etc.
  • Negotiating Rationally
  • Negotiation
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics
  • The Mind and Heart of the Negotiator
  • The Art of Negotiation: How to Improvise Agreement in a Chaotic World
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • Essentials of Negotiation
  • Reverse Innovation: Create Far From Home, Win Everywhere
  • Getting More: How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World
  • Execution Premium
  • Extraordinary Leadership
  • Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future (And a Way to Get There from Here)
  • Women Don't Ask: Negotiation and the Gender Divide
  • Curious?: Discover the Missing Ingredient to a Fulfilling Life
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
Deepak Malhotra is a Professor in the Negotiations, Organizations and Markets Unit at the Harvard Business School. He teaches courses on negotiation strategy to MBA students, as well as in a variety of executive programs, including the Owner/President Management Program, Changing the Game and Families in Business.

Deepak's research focuses on negotiation strategy, trust development, competitive esc

More about Deepak Malhotra...
I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze Recent Advances In Mineral Processing Plant Design