Start by marking “Life Is Mostly Edges” as Want to Read:
Life Is Mostly Edges

Life Is Mostly Edges

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  8 reviews
One man's backward glance at unexpected lessons, the beauty of relationship, and God's mysterious guiding hand.

Bestselling author and poet Calvin Miller turns his hand to the most moving story of all - his own. The reader is taken through a myriad of experiences of a young man coming of age in mid-20th century America. Following his life into college, seminary, a small loc
Published September 2nd 2008 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Life Is Mostly Edges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Is Mostly Edges

Donovan Martin
I started this just after Christmas. I had the chance to meet Calvin Miller and hear him read a little from this book. His ability to craft a line is amazing. Such a great story teller. I really appreciate this book since he recalls not the mere details of his life but he tries to give an evaluation of what he learned and how it impacted who he became.
Should people write memoirs? If you are Calvin Miller, yes. (or this Calvin Miller). It is a retelling of life through the lens of hope. Perhaps
John
One of the best memoirs I've read. Miller is a wordsmith and a master storyteller--and he displays both admirably in this moving, funny, sarcastic, deeply reflective, frank and honest peek into his heart and mind. It was spiritually moving; at times theologically eyebrow-raising. Yet again and again there was so much that put words to what I've felt and I found myself being freed from the bondage of reflection that had yet to find words. I was many times put in touch with some of my own feelings ...more
Brian
This book was extremely well written, poetic, charming, funny, sad, informative, and freeing to many of the burdensome thoughts I've had about the church and its people. This book is an autobiographical account of Calvin Millers life from his youngest days in the onset of the depression until recent. I found many things to laugh about, a few things to tear up about and many things to think about. He had a very hard life in many ways, and a very satisfying life in many other ways but most importa ...more
Craig
Excellent memoir from one of the church's great modern wordsmiths, pastor/professor/poet/author Calvin Miller. From his impoverished childhood in 1940s Oklahoma to a faculty position at the largest seminary in the world, Miller's life has been quite a ride. He takes us along for the journey with unflinching honesty and frequent, well-crafted humor.

Too many times when I read memoirs of esteemed Christian leaders, I walk away thinking, "What a great man that guy is." Because of Miller's authentic
Paul Pritschow
Interesting read

Enjoyed his unique perspective on life and admire the way he never gave up,and always maintained a sense of duty to help others learn about Christ.
Bryan
Dr. Miller is a living legend. His life is one that can never be copied but pastors and writers should strive to be like him. This book tells about his extraordinary life and ministry. I especially like the top paragraph of page 357.
Dottie Parish
This is a delightful autobiographical account of Calvin Miller's life. It is beautifully written, with charming stories and profound ideas about the Christian faith and the church from a down-to-earth pastor.
Mary
I love this story of a pastor and all his ups and downs. I like it most because he is talking on your level and because of his beautiful style of writing. His childhood was very interesting too.
Keith Feisel
Keith Feisel is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2015
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Mandy Smith
Mandy Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Kenzie
Kenzie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Roxanne Sapitan
Roxanne Sapitan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Ginna
Ginna marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2014
Bookman143
Bookman143 marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Vcross90yahoo.com
Vcross90yahoo.com marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Deborah Boyd
Deborah Boyd marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Calvin Miller has written over 40 books of popular theology and inspiration. A former pastor, he is professor of preaching and pastoral ministry at Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama. He and his wife, Joyce, have two grown children.
More about Calvin Miller...
The Singer The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament The Song The Finale A Requiem for Love (Symphony Trilogy, #1)