Start by marking “Before Women Had Wings” as Want to Read:
Before Women Had Wings

Before Women Had Wings

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,127 ratings  ·  207 reviews
My name is Avocet Abigail Jackson. But because Mama couldn't find anyone who thought Avocet was a fine name for a child, she called me Bird. Which is okay by me. She named both her children after birds, her logic being that if we were named for something with wings then maybe we'd be able to fly above the shit in our lives. . . .

So says Bird Jackson, the mesmerizing narra
Paperback, Ballantine Reader's Circle, 304 pages
Published April 22nd 1997 by Ballantine Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Before Women Had Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before Women Had Wings

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Southern Literature
199th out of 777 books — 1,871 voters
Coming Home by Paloma BeckThe House on Prospect by Bernadette  WalshBefore Women Had Wings by Connie May FowlerSlammed by Colleen HooverHome Movie by Ellen Akins
Death of a Parent in Fiction
3rd out of 32 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
This book should be depressing. It really should be, but when I read the final word and closed the book for the last time, I came away with an awesome sense of hope. Connie May Fowler expertly explores themes of growing up, poverty, abuse, abandonment and grief. The graphic descriptions of abuse, both physical and verbal, turned my stomach, but rather than being voyeuristic, the pain enhanced the feeling of hope. Readers actually believed that the characters could break out of the spiral they fi ...more
Shaindel
I had always wanted to read this book because Connie May Fowler was a member of the writing community where I lived in Central Florida from 2004-2006, and I saw her frequently at literary events, and I'd heard great things about this book. I finally decided that this was the summer off from teaching that I would read it, and I'm so pleased that I did.

Connie May Fowler can create sympathy in dysfunctional characters in a way that few other writers can. I really enjoyed her portrayal of the young
Lee
Jul 30, 2007 Lee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers interested in women/child issues
Shelves: coming-of-age
When I started reading this book,it reminded me of Bastard Out of Carolina; I also saw similiarities to Glass Castle. Bird, a young girl, narrates the novel about her dysfunctional highly abusive family. The strength of the book is her voice -- the pain is palpable and the coping mechanisms she employs commendable. Her relationship with an elderly neighbor is an important reminder about how anyone can make a huge difference to a child in our own neighborhoods/communities with relatively small ge ...more
Gayle
I LOVED this book! It takes place in the mid sixies in Florida and is narrated by a young girl who was the same age I was when I lived in Florida then. I could just breathe that humid, salty clime that was part and parcel of my childhood! But this book has a serious theme--the abuse, alcoholism, and poverty that children are victims to through no fault of their own. It is painful to visit such themes but the wonderful "grace-note" of a surprising savior to the protaganist, Bird (how southern a n ...more
Joanna Bastian
"Details are what I'm about - stacks and stacks of details - the bones of my family, calcified vessels, the marrow chock-full of wishes and regrets. In my mind I pick up the bones one by one - a leg bone, a hip, then a spine that looks like a witch's ladder. Before you know it, this skeleton made of memories is rattling me."
So begins the tale of a six year old girl in 1965 Florida. The tale is rich in details that convey the stifling humidity, the salty scents, and the ring of the cidadas. Avoc
Ruby
(Autobiographical Novel)—"Back in 1965, on a day so hot that God Almighty should have been writhing with sick-to-the-stomach guilt over driving His children out of the cool green of Eden, my daddy walked into our general store, held a revolver to his head, told my mama that he couldn't take any more and that because of her harsh ways and his many sins he was going to blow his brains out." What an opening sentence! Totally gripping. It demands that you keep reading while deftly establishing the v ...more
Claudia
My sister gave me this book to read and I put it on the shelf. My younger daughter picked it up a year later and read it because she just wanted something to read. When she finished, she came and laid down next to me, started crying and said I love you Mom. After that, I read the book and it so resonated with me and I felt that some of my sister and my lives were in there. And I called my mom and told her I loved her. More importantly, I gained some understanding and insight into her life. I sob ...more
Chana
This book is about domestic abuse between spouses and to children, drinking, hopelessness and poverty. Painful to read, very difficult to continue when expecting the next violent act, the next horrible name calling. In a way I can understand people acting and reacting in the cycle of violence passed from parents to children, but the action of Bird's father, taken when he was trying to punish his wife, was one of the most cold-blooded acts of domestic violence I have ever heard of. I didn't forgi ...more
Rena Searles
Loved this book! Sensitive treatment of a difficult subject and a triumph of the human spirit. I related so much to the little girl in the story and her daydreaming to escape the harshness of her reality. Also, appreciated the author's skill in portraying the parents in an empathetic light. Well written and authentic.
Marci
I want to give this book 3.5 stars, perhaps 4. I really enjoyed this book beginning to end. I read it in basically two sittings, not wanting to put it down -the story was so riveting. I had a few problems with some of the writing and tone of the book and that is why I downgraded it to 3.5.

The two issues I had were that the character is 9 years old and has some very profound thoughts, which I found hard to believe came from a 9 year old. And, although it is clear during most of the story that it
Joyce
This was a heart-wrenching good read about a young girl with a good heart growing up with alcoholic parents. Her life is tough, she's belittled constantly, physically and mentally beaten and yet she still loves her parents. The characters are so well portrayed, the writing so realistic and yet it's not all doom and gloom. There's some tender moments and an overall good storyline.
Carla
I read this book for book club, and after viewing several sites, including Goodreads, it appears that almost everyone really enjoyed this book. I didn't. I don't know how this book differed from other child abuse books, except that it was a white poor family in the south. After I finished the book, I heard that it was similar if not exactly like the author's family history. For that, I'm empathetic.

It appears the author wanted to tell her "story", and with permission and assistance from sibling
Qiez
I struggled (mentally,emotionally) with the women. A very good book for those who adore feminism and the likes.
Marilyn Saul
Bird captivated me from page 1, so I kept on reading, even though the child abuse scenes were horrifying and I hated the mother - just really couldn't forgive her. I understand abuse is a nurtured disease, but I cannot fathom beating one's child and NOT registering distaste, not registering that you need to quit and change. Anyway, Miss Zora was a wonderful addition, and I wanted the book to continue focusing on her and her life. I really didn't get the Big Al thing - rather stuck in there. Anyw ...more
Daryl Leyesa
This book tells a story of three women – a mother and her two girls – and how they have survived with and without the men in their lives. It is also a story about how these men rendered them flightless with plumes weighed down by generations of beatings; song less, silenced by abuse and blame. Not that these women didn't try, but it's just that no matter how high they dived or how fast they chased the winds, they couldn't sustain the flight. Not until they faced their fears. Not until then. So t ...more
TBML
This was the Branigan BookClub selection for July 2005.

As an avid birder, I have always thrilled at the sight of an avocet. I suppose that that was always in the back of my mind as I read BEFORE WOMEN HAD WINGS. Fowler makes Avocet Jackson, or "Bird" as her mother calls her, fragile yet resilient, small and delicate, but tough and tenacious, just as I have always regarded the bird she is named after. That particular combination of characteristics endears her to me.

Very early in the book, we lear
Corpus Amos
Mark
This was the Branigan BookClub selection for July 2005.

Very early in the book, we lear
Sonya
Before Women Had Wings: Connie May Fowler
Date Finished: February 2010

Snapshot: Bird is young girl from a poor family in the rural south. The first scene takes place in their family-owned store—her dad is threatening to commit suicide. Bird’s father is an alcoholic who regularly beats Bird’s mother; Bird’s mother is a cold woman who criticizes her two daughters and her husband. The couple is only happy when they are drunk. When Bird’s mother gets a little fresh with her husband, he hires someone
Marie
Avocet (Bird) Jackson would be described by her childhood peers as "white trash." She and her sister Phoebe are frequent targets of the alcoholic rage and neglect of their parents. When her father dies, her mother goes into a downward spiral of depression, anger, and abuse. Doesn't sound very uplifting, does it?

But Connie May Fowler's talent is that she portrays the story beautifully. She is able to depict the deep humanity of both parents, even in spite of the verbal and physical abuse. Perhap
Kris
3 STARS

"Nine-year-old Bird Jackson moves with her mother and sister to the outskirts of Tampa, after the suicide of their father, a more than frustrated country music singer. Entranced by a picture of Jesus, Bird fancies herself His girlfriend and begins a spiritual search for salvation." (From Amazon)

A touching novel of a single mother and her two daughters trying to survive. Abuse, alcoholism and abandonment. I read this novel after watching the made for tv movie.
Lisa
I'm being generous and giving it 4 stars. The author is very skilled at developing characters. In fact, despite the disturbing content, I wanted to finish the book just to know the ending to Bird's story. The author was less skilled at keeping all the parts of the story in their proper place. As an example, there were bits of the story that seemed important, such as the relationship between Bird and her brother, but ended up feeling extraneous.

Madeleine Harvey
Kristy Trauzzi
Dec 10, 2009 Kristy Trauzzi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristy by: online book club
Susan
I read this book for bookclub. It's heavier topic makes it the type of book I wouldn't willingly seek out, particularly as a victim of childhood physical abuse. That said, I felt this book did a great job expressing the emotions of a child going through that stuff. It was thought provoking and kept my interest. It was a very emotional read for me, but I am glad I read it.
Book Concierge
It is painful to read because of the subject matter, but there are some bits of excellent description. It is a somewhat autobiographical work. The ending is somewhat abrupt. This writer shows promise.

Bird is the youngest child of Billy and Glory Jackson - two alcoholic, abusive parents. She daydreams she is Jesus' girlfriend and tries to make sense of her world - why she is "so bad" and gets beaten so often.
*** SPOILER ALERT ****
When her father commits suicide her mother moves the famil
Renee
Fowler captured the dicotomy of South Florida's lush biology and the clostrophobic nature of poverty and domestic violence within a young girl's narrative. The voice was a bit mature for Bird's age, but effective. The bird/angel/butterfly/airplane metaphor was well placed and maintained a sense of hope through an otherwise dark novel.
Lacy Campbell
I loved this book. Though rather depressing at times and with scenes of abuse that could make you cringe, it showed great hope and how amazing the strength of the human spirit can be. I was hooked all the way through and finished the book feeling wonderful.
Angela
This should have been depressing but I found it to be almost the opposite in some ways. The way Connie May Fowler writes, and the voice she creates for the main character (a little girl named Bird) are enchanting. It's the kind of writing that makes me want to go out and read all of her other books.
Lisa Roney
This story felt so familiar to me, not because I lived a life like the difficult one described here, but because the language is the language of my childhood. Fowler really captures the rhythms and colorful metaphoric nature of the way people talk and think in the South. I had constant little shocks of recognition as I read, and it made me a little sad because I realized that I don't live immersed in that kind of language any more.

This novel is also one that doesn't sacrifice stark realism to it
  • Bitterroot Landing
  • Sights Unseen
  • She Flew the Coop: A Novel Concerning Life, Death, Sex and Recipes in Limoges, Louisiana
  • One Mississippi
  • One Foot in Eden
  • Sufficient Grace
  • The Three Miss Margarets
  • Someday This Will Be Funny
Remembering Blue The Problem with Murmur Lee Sugar Cage How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly When Katie Wakes

“I watched as she stretched over the board to flick off a fallen leaf. Underneath her thin cotton shell, I saw how fragile the bones in her back were, far too sliver-prone, far too light to support a pair of wings.
4 likes