Blank-133x176
Everybody Smokes in He...

John Ridley

Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Paris Scott can't make anything work out. A failed actor, writer, musician - a failure, period - he works nights at a convenience store, drives a '76 Gremlin, and was just kicked to the curb by his best friend. But when the last master tape of a rock star and a small fortune in stolen drugs falls into his lap, it's like he's stumbled onto the key of his dreams.. "He might...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe

John
“Everybody Smokes in Hell" is "A Hero of Our Time" for OUR Time. The best brief review of this book would need only to plagiarize a few words from Lermontov:

This, "my dear readers... is a portrait built up of all our generation's vices in full bloom."

"Everybody Smokes..." is a distillation of the essence of downward spiraling America into concentrate form. The characters here are pathetic losers at best and psychopathic criminals at worst, regardless of station in life. The plot is one foul up a...more
Matt
Considering my summer has been filled with books about seedy characters groping their way through harsh underbellies (usually of LA), imagine my surprise when this one grabbed me about 30 pages in and didn't let go until I finished the next 200 within 24 hours. Fast, dirty, and wrong in all the right ways.
Zellain Dystopia
I really enjoyed this book. It's dark, the language is interesting and it's certainly not for everyone. If you like tragedies and books where nothing is resolved and life just goes on, more messed up than before, you might like this one.
Frederick
Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley - This was a pretty good book. I liked the story. It falls right in line with the type of dark and twisted humor I like in a decent mystery. I guess that is what you would call this book - a mystery - more or less anyway. I'd been wanting to read some John Ridley for awhile now. I've got a few of his books and I chose this one to read first. I had already seen the film U-Turn, a damn good flick, which is an adaptation of his book Stray Dogs. So, I was fa...more
Jenine
The characters and language made me very uncomfortable at times. They were stereotypes (black people who were involved in gangs and drug feuds, white girls who were abused as children and turned into prostitutes because of their broken homes, Mexican girl who ekes through life in a dinner.)
The plot was silly but I enjoyed how the characters different plot lines wove together towards the end.
Overall it was violent, crass, and very focused on sex.
steph
Nov 13, 2008 steph rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a quick, light read
Shelves: two-snaps-up
funny, witty, and very sarcastic, but the plot seems contrived. protagonist is wishy-washy, like holden caulfield. seems to just go with the flow instead of intelligently thinking about how to extricate himself from the ridiculous in which situations he finds himself. or rather, in which he puts himself.
if you're looking for some easy reading for a long trip, a vacation, or just some brainless reading, this could be it. not so brainless that it insults your intelligence, but not so convoluted th...more
Kamil Antczak
This book is about a store clerk who happens to come across a homeless looking person and helps him out? the store clerk ends up talking him home, to a rich house in beverly hills which he doesnt expect.

Pg(54) the homeless person ends up being a rich rocker and dies at his house b/c he claims hes lived he life/ dream. His inheritance was left on tape next to him and stated(who ever here this first gets everything)so the store clerk got everything? 3/18/10
Mark
You can tell the author is a screen writer and is working outside his usual genre. Many chapters are very short (1-2 pages), and you can tell that he is used to writing scenes. The book is pretty violent, and when you reach the end, you can easily picture the scene freezing, going black and credits rolling. Not even close to the greatest book I ever read, but it was entertaining. I use "entertaining" very loosely here.
Ian Towey
Didn't get me like other John Ridley, but hey it's a bit of fun to read.
Chilly SavageMelon
Garbage. Waffer thin characters trapped in an "ironic", shitty, racist and violent world. Trash pulp writers like Ridley are those who show up to crash the party once Tarrantino has made the guest list-
Curt
I found the constant liberties John Ridley took with the English language irritating in this book. It would have been better if he focused on writing well rather than on creating a writing style.
Benjamin Siess
Great dialogue. Pulp Fiction-esque. The ebonics seem forced at times, but I don't really know how ebonics in literature couldn't seem forced. I'm looking forward to reading more Ridley.
Lauren Donnell
Russell- I still can't believe that you liked this book that much! We have Jeff Glover to thank for it.
Erin
for some reason, I thought this was going to be funny.
Neil Torquiano
Neil Torquiano marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Glen C
Glen C marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah K
Sarah K marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Garamvölgyi Mihály
Garamvölgyi Mihály marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Tanya Metzler
Tanya Metzler marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
The Authority: Human on the Inside Those Who Walk in Darkness (Soledad O'Roark, #1) Stray Dogs Love Is a Racket What Fire Cannot Burn (Soledad O'Roark, #2)