Start by marking “Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Everybody Smokes in He...

John Ridley

Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe

Paris Scott can't make anything work out. A failed actor, writer, musician - a failure, period - he works nights at a convenience store, drives a '76 Gremlin, and was just kicked to the curb by his best friend. But when the last master tape of a rock star and a small fortune in stolen drugs falls into his lap, it's like he's stumbled onto the key of his dreams.. "He might ...more
Published June 1st 1999 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everybody Smokes in Hell Signe

Lauren Stoolfire
Sep 30, 2014 Lauren Stoolfire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, mystery, thriller, noir
If you enjoy classic hard-boiled crime fiction and film noir, you'll probably enjoy Everybody Smokes in Hell by John Ridley. It's a very visual, gritty nineties noir with a dark sense of humor, wicked ultra-violence, and dialogue that just scream off the page.
John
Nov 21, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Everybody Smokes in Hell" is "A Hero of Our Time" for OUR Time. The best brief review of this book would need only to plagiarize a few words from Lermontov:

This, "my dear readers... is a portrait built up of all our generation's vices in full bloom."

"Everybody Smokes..." is a distillation of the essence of downward spiraling America into concentrate form. The characters here are pathetic losers at best and psychopathic criminals at worst, regardless of station in life. The plot is one foul up a
Matt
Jul 10, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considering my summer has been filled with books about seedy characters groping their way through harsh underbellies (usually of LA), imagine my surprise when this one grabbed me about 30 pages in and didn't let go until I finished the next 200 within 24 hours. Fast, dirty, and wrong in all the right ways.
Zellain Dystopia
May 29, 2008 Zellain Dystopia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I really enjoyed this book. It's dark, the language is interesting and it's certainly not for everyone. If you like tragedies and books where nothing is resolved and life just goes on, more messed up than before, you might like this one.
Frederick
Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley Everybody Smokes In Hell by John Ridley - This was a pretty good book. I liked the story. It falls right in line with the type of dark and twisted humor I like in a decent mystery. I guess that is what you would call this book - a mystery - more or less anyway. I'd been wanting to read some John Ridley for awhile now. I've got a few of his books and I chose this one to read first. I had already seen the film U-Turn, a damn good flick, which is an adaptation of his book Stray Dogs. So, I was fa ...more
steph
Sep 17, 2008 steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for a quick, light read
Shelves: two-snaps-up
funny, witty, and very sarcastic, but the plot seems contrived. protagonist is wishy-washy, like holden caulfield. seems to just go with the flow instead of intelligently thinking about how to extricate himself from the ridiculous in which situations he finds himself. or rather, in which he puts himself.
if you're looking for some easy reading for a long trip, a vacation, or just some brainless reading, this could be it. not so brainless that it insults your intelligence, but not so convoluted th
Mark
Feb 06, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can tell the author is a screen writer and is working outside his usual genre. Many chapters are very short (1-2 pages), and you can tell that he is used to writing scenes. The book is pretty violent, and when you reach the end, you can easily picture the scene freezing, going black and credits rolling. Not even close to the greatest book I ever read, but it was entertaining. I use "entertaining" very loosely here.
Jenine
Jan 08, 2014 Jenine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, book-on-tape
The characters and language made me very uncomfortable at times. They were stereotypes (black people who were involved in gangs and drug feuds, white girls who were abused as children and turned into prostitutes because of their broken homes, Mexican girl who ekes through life in a dinner.)
The plot was silly but I enjoyed how the characters different plot lines wove together towards the end.
Overall it was violent, crass, and very focused on sex.
Kamil Antczak
Feb 12, 2010 Kamil Antczak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
This book is about a store clerk who happens to come across a homeless looking person and helps him out? the store clerk ends up talking him home, to a rich house in beverly hills which he doesnt expect.

Pg(54) the homeless person ends up being a rich rocker and dies at his house b/c he claims hes lived he life/ dream. His inheritance was left on tape next to him and stated(who ever here this first gets everything)so the store clerk got everything? 3/18/10
Chilly SavageMelon
Feb 01, 2008 Chilly SavageMelon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Garbage. Waffer thin characters trapped in an "ironic", shitty, racist and violent world. Trash pulp writers like Ridley are those who show up to crash the party once Tarrantino has made the guest list-
Zach
May 24, 2016 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of dark and seedy with flashes of very dark humor (mostly from the hitman/hit person). The ending seemed rushed and was disappointing. You felt like it was heading toward this big finish and it kind of just ends and will not be completely satisfying for some readers.
Shawn Cosby
Apr 17, 2015 Shawn Cosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a modern noir with a comic twist.. I love this book.. and the hitwoman is one of the scariest villains I ever encountered
Lauren Donnell
Russell- I still can't believe that you liked this book that much! We have Jeff Glover to thank for it.
Curt
Dec 03, 2007 Curt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the constant liberties John Ridley took with the English language irritating in this book. It would have been better if he focused on writing well rather than on creating a writing style.
Benjamin Siess
Aug 04, 2011 Benjamin Siess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great dialogue. Pulp Fiction-esque. The ebonics seem forced at times, but I don't really know how ebonics in literature couldn't seem forced. I'm looking forward to reading more Ridley.
David
Nov 07, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulp fiction rivisited: wicked, funny, violent and not to be taken seriously. A very enjoyable read.
Lori
Lori rated it did not like it
May 03, 2016
Jack B.
Jack B. rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Leif Jones
Leif Jones rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it did not like it
Apr 12, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2008
Georgia Scott
Georgia Scott rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2008
Robert
Robert rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2009
Tony Myles
Tony Myles rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2013
Raivis
Raivis rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Artem
Artem rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
  • The Cleanup
  • Baked
  • Tropical Warning: An Original Serge Storms Story and Other Debris (Serge Storms series)
  • The Heroin Chronicles
  • Leave Her to Heaven
  • The Speed Chronicles
  • A Death in China
  • Land of a Thousand Eyes: The Subtle Pleasures of Everyday Life in Myanmar
  • If the Stars Are Gods
  • World Mythology
  • Flinch: A Novel
  • The American Presidents: Biographies of the Chief Executives from Washington Through Clinton (Guild America Books)
  • Mortal Lock
  • The Cocaine Chronicles
  • Twisted City
  • Death on the Cherwell
  • Night People
  • Fish Bites Cop! Stories To Bash Authorities
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name.
More about John Ridley...