Start by marking “The Greatest Salesman In The World” as Want to Read:
The Greatest Salesman In The World

The Greatest Salesman In The World

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  27,376 ratings  ·  694 reviews
The Greatest Salesman In The World [Paperback] [Jan 01, 1987] Og Mandino
Published January 1st 1983 by Bantam Books (first published January 1st 1968)

At first, I turned away from this book because of the title. I assumed it was a guide to exploitation and hoarding. Actually, it's a spiritual book. There's even a whole chapter on love. But throughout it is also about sales.

pg 88 - 89
Today I will multiply my value a hundredfold.
A mulberry leaf touched with the genius of man becomes silk.
A field of clay touched with the genius of man becomes a castle.
A cyprus tree touched with the genius of man becomes a shrine.
A cut of sheep's hair touched with
Pete Grondin
I listened to the audio book and was surprised. I was expecting a high intensity instruction book on selling and closing the sale. As you all know, or should learn, is that The Greatest Salesman in the World is miles away from that perception. I am reading the first scroll now, and am on day 16. If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you should. It's an easy read. It has the potential to change your life.
Marty Ritz
I've been reading this book for the last 2.5 years, 3 times/day every day. What I thought was good about this book was scroll #1. Scroll #1 gave the secret to changing everything in your life, so I read it over and over and over again. I then read scrolls #2-#10 as a result of reading scroll #1. I read each of them over and over and over again, as a result of reading scroll #1. I've been repeating this process over and over again and what I've come to the conclusion of is this; there is much val ...more
Colin McKay Miller
Aug 15, 2012 Colin McKay Miller rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Colin by: My boss
Og Mandino’s The Greatest Salesman in the World starts off fairly harmless—in that vague, Paulo Coehlo’s The Alchemist self-help kind of way—but by the end, I found it rather detestable.

The Greatest Salesman in the World isn’t actually about sales; it’s more of a ‘secrets of success’ book. It centers in on Hafid, a wealthy old man who’s looking to give away his prized possession of 10 scrolls of successful salesmanship to a rightful heir. Each of these 10 scrolls contains a principle like “Pers
WOW, only 110 pages but not one word was wasted. There is something about these older books that just blow my mind. It was in the 60's and written about B.C. time frame and the principles that were true in that time are still true today. "The secret", "Think and Grow Rich", "Rich Dad Poor Dad", and countless others teach a lot of the same concepts and they are all true!! If you vision it, if you are positive, if you act, if you keep trying, if you give back, ... it well come true.
"Your desire t
Probably the most inspiring book i've ever read.
This is written by a guy who had the most difficult life, as a travelling salesman, he experienced some serious difficulties and became an alcoholic, lost his wife and became homeless.
He picked himself up, became a writer and achieved huge success.

I was reading it at a very challenging time, when I was selling books door-to-door over a summer at University and I absorbed the principles of the book. It gave me motivation when I was struggling to co
Jean Marie Angelo
I read this book 25 years ago on a business trip to Chicago. Not beverage service, turbulence, nor a thunderstorm could get me to look up from it. I think I read it in a day. The flight attendant asked about it at the end of the flight. "That must be one very good book," she said. It is. Mandino gets pigeon-holed for being an "inspirational" writer, which takes in down a notch in some literary circles. It is a shame. He writes very gripping stories about the spritual truths that we all confront.
Sonja Arlow
A friend gave me this book and I finished it in about an hour. Its short and to the point however the ritualistic requirements for the practices in the book is not really my cup of tea.

This is one of those “fake it until you make it” type of personal growth books asking the reader to read one chapter/scroll 3 times a day for a month before going to the next chapter. It’s designed to be a meditative reflection on each principle to help you overcome obstacles in your life.

The wisdom each scroll c
Like hearing a good rock band but being disappointed to learn they are a *Christian* rock band, I grooved to this book until the "Jesus" chorus. Thankfully, Mandino saved it for the last chapter, allowing the reader to get through the great messages and mantras without (depending on one's religious lean) feeling betrayed. Except for the Gospel lesson, this was a great and well-written story that will be like a reference book anytime I catch myself lacking courage, motivation, or laughter.
This book had lots of great information, but it was told in a story setting that annoyed me. I'd prefer just a list. When the book was written in 1968, Og Mandino was the most widely read inspirational ansd self-help author in the world. He believed that "failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeeed is strong enough." The life lessons were told in scrolls that were opened:
1. Today I begin a new life.
2. I will greet the day with love in my heart.
3. I will persist until I succ
Stu Morgan
Want to improve something, anything in your life? That usually involves changing habits. This short classic parable has helped inspire many people with a heart warming story and ten scrolls, each with a short but very important lesson. In Mandino's story, the inheritors of the scrolls are told they must read each scroll morning, noon, and night for thirty days before moving to the next scroll. By doing so, the principals in each scroll become a habit. The message is powerful. Want to make a chan ...more
Julie Eddy
Og Mandino's "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

Published in 1968 and still true today. The story is simple, yet fascinating. Mr. Mandino uses a wonderful tale to catch your attention, to teach and, in the end, to blow your mind.

I will admit, I'm not the best at self-promoting. I didn't read this to find any "tips." I heard it was a "good read" by a friend who had just finished my book and thought I would like his style.

What I found were truths that will help one through life. No surprises in
Sam Funderburk
An incredible story that contains anecdotes for success in it's pages. The author set the tone beginning with a storyline that sets up his opportunity to put forth 10 daily habits to encompass in your daily work. Then he closes the storyline with a beautiful ending tying it all together.

Strangely enough I came to know about this book while reading a bio of Matthew Mcconaughey on IMDB, who is a famous actor that grew up in my small town of Longview Tx. He stated this book as being one of his insp
It was one of the greatest book that ever read. I'm very excited about the story. The book wasn't only related to the sells. It also contains a lot of wisdom how to improve your life and how to become more excellent in everything you do. I will read that book every year ! Thank you Mr. Mandino.
Aug 19, 2009 jzhunagev rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To those who really want a positive change in their life
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino (A Book Review)

“The Greatest Salesman in the Wolrd” is a self-help classic from best-selling author Og Mandino. It’s a tiny book with some powerful principles, written in a compelling, clear style that makes for a quick read.

It tells a story of Hafid’s journey from being a humble camel boy to the titular greatest salesman in the world. How his journey can also be yours. The main highlight of the book is the “The Ten Scrolls of Success” which the
There are three books that I read on a yearly basis: "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis, "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino.

As a profession, I am not a salesman. I have never really been a salesman. That's not the reason to read this book...although it will help you in that field.

What this book does is show you simple steps to take to make important changes in your life to become "The Greatest ____________ in the World." (Fill in the
Brandon Clay
I have been in sales for over 30 years and read almost ever title imaginable (Check out my shelves with more to add!)

I had resisted reading this book (seemed too trendy at the time to be relevant) until I had my first "commission only" job. The book did not provide me with closing techniques, prospecting methods, or anything that might immediately help me feed my wife and 6 month old.

It did, however, provide me with something infinitely much better...hope! That is hard to quantify, but without i
Mayah Gilmer

Mayah Gilmer
Freshman English C
Mr. Lynch
The Greatest Salesman in the World, written by Og Mandino, was one of his bestsellers, and sold over 50 million copies. The Fredrick Fell, Inc in Hollywood published it in January of 1968. Mandino was not always a writer. He used to work for the United States Army Air Corps. He flew for 30 bombing missions in Germany during World War II. He them became an insurance salesman because he realized that not many were hiring for bombing pilots. Mandino’s
Omar Halabieh
The story is that of a very successful merchant (Hafid), who's success entailed from applying the wisdom contained in ancient scrolls that were passed onto him. These scrolls contain the foundational principles of success for a salesman. What is worth noting is that these same principles apply just as equally to leadership.

The story is very motivational, inspirational, entertaining and educational.

Below are excerpts outlining some of the key principles presented in the book:

1) "Truly many times
Ashley Reynolds
I've read this book many, many times. Every time I read it, it's like the first time I read it. Although no book gives greater direction for life than the Bible, this one is incredibly lovely and helpful. It was a gift from my mom when I was younger. She told me to dwell in it's instructions. It's just a beautiful read. I've given it as a Christmas gifts to numerous friends and they've all echoed my sentiments. If you'd like to read it, let me know, and I'll buy you a copy!
Neil Goldstone
Dec 31, 2010 Neil Goldstone rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely read this book!
Recommended to Neil by: one of my many mentors
Fabulous book that I have read so many times that I have lost count. Each time I read it, I read it the way it is meant to be read, staying on each "scroll" chapter for 30 days, before moving onto the next chapter, thus taking ten months to read the book. I try to live my life by the amazing tenets handed down for centuries in these ten scrolls. If we all lived by these tenets our world would be a much more loving, peaceful, and wonder-filled place to live.
Karen Jett
I selected this book based on the recommendation of a respected colleague. I thought it was going to be just another book on how to sell. When I read the first sentence, I knew that my expectations were wrong.

While this book may improve your sales, its greater message is on how to live your life so that you will be successful.

If this has piqued your curiosity at all, get a copy and read it. It's short and only takes about 2 hours to read, so do it soon.
Steve Lovejoy
This motivational "PMA" book is a re-read for me. While I may not agree with all the minor theories mentioned in passing, the overall premises that you and I were created for a purpose; that each of us has value;' that we all need encouragement, goals, and to fulfill said purpose are good ones.
The ultimately positive message is also a help when I am having difficulty with depression.
Avid Reader
Becoming all You Can

The title was misleading but the book itself was exceptional. So much so I'm ordering 6 copies to mail to friends as gifts.

All religion aside since many get offended or have a different belief, the basic underlying premise is a wonderful message for everyone. We have only today. Live as if there is no tomorrow because there may not be. Set your priorities high and proper and stop putting things off. Let things in the past go, learn to express your love for one another and he
What a great story by Og Mandino. The techniques of a great salesman are unveiled here. All chapters are full of knowledge while entertaining. Awe-inspiring story coped with true sales principles and techniques. You'll never expect the ending; it will make you jump out of your chair. A classic, READ IT
Dawn Grace-Jones
This little powerful book reminds us of what we have within and how to tap into it. I must read it again because I read it long ago. The message was so powerful that I would encourage everyone to read it at some point in life. In fact, it should be read over and over again. God bless.
Cindy Onyekwere
I still believe this is the greatest book in the world and anyone who plans on owning a business should invest in this book. It's a short book at first read but if you really want to learn from what you read, it will take you a year to finish the book. I couldn't do it, can you?
Clayton Bye
Og Mandino was the editor of Success Magazine for many years. I wish he had spent that time writing more books. The Greatest Salesman in The World is one of the most enjoyable self-help books I've ever read.
Chris Ryan
My favorite book ever! Great for sales people, great for life. I've read this book at least a dozen times, and I've given it as a gift at least 50 times. The ultimate self help book.
The Best ispirational book I have ever read. Showed me how to use my every each day. I love it and I appreciate Og mandino every morning I open my eyes! God bless you Og.
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life
  • The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...

“I will live this day as if it is my last. …I will waste not a moment mourning yesterday’s misfortunes, Yesterday’s defeats, yesterday’s aches of the heart, for why should I throw good after bad?”
I will live this day as if it is my last. This day is all I have and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift mine arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day. So too, I will beat upon my heart with gratitude as I consider all who greeted yesterday’s sunrise who are no longer with the living today. I am indeed a fortunate man and today’s hours are but a bonus, undeserved. Why have I been allowed to live this extra day when others, far better than I, have departed? Is it that they have accomplished their purpose while mine is yet to be achieved? Is this another opportunity for me to become the man I know I can be?”
“I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. ” 92 likes