Start by marking “Henry IV, Parts One and Two (No Fear Shakespeare)” as Want to Read:
Henry IV, Parts One and Two (No Fear Shakespeare)

Henry IV, Parts One and Two (No Fear Shakespeare)

No Fear Shakespeare gives you the complete text of Henry IV Part One and Two on the left-hand page, side-by-side with an easy-to-understand translation on the right.

Each No Fear Shakespeare contains:
* The complete text of the original play
* A line-by-line translation that puts Shakespeare into everyday language
* A complete list of characters with descriptions
* Plenty of he
Published September 25th 2005 by SparkNotes (first published January 1st 1597)

To ask other readers questions about Henry IV, Parts One and Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry IV, Parts One and Two

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Gilmore Girls: Season 3
17th out of 53 books — 29 voters
Animal Farm by George Orwell1984 by George OrwellJulius Caesar by William ShakespeareRichard II by William ShakespeareWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Government in Fiction
35th out of 145 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Coleman
Oct 03, 2013 Jason Coleman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greatest-hits
Starring the original frat brother, Prince Hal—the slumming trust-fund kid soon to turn prodigal son—this play reads like some great lost Scorsese mob picture. Whether through insight or just proximate empathy, Shakespeare reveals the English nobility for the relentlessly combative, barely-beyond-the-Huns people they really were.

For all the Bardolaters' fascination with Falstaff (who, according to Mark Van Doren, "understands everything and so is never serious"—now there's a profound statement)
Henry IV, Part 1

This was a surprising play. It started out rather boring for me, but towards the 4th and 5th acts, it got a lot better. I suppose this was due to the need for exposition before action. I'm glad I was required to read this for school, otherwise I would never have read it. This was an interesting view of British royalty vs. rebels. I loved Hotspur :)
King Henry IV part 1 was simultaneously actually quite enjoyable to read and also really weird. For starters, it was just freaking hilarious, like I couldn't take it seriously when the tavern scenes came on. There were, however, a few great quotes among the um.... plain... weird... ones. Um, yeah, it was a different side of Shakespeare that I thoroughly enjoyed in all its hilarious weirdness.
For example:
"Death hath not struck so fat a deer today" - Hal (view spoiler)
Steve Hemmeke
Jul 25, 2016 Steve Hemmeke rated it liked it
In part 1, a play in itself, Henry has taken the throne but is uneasy since he usurped it from Richard II. He wants to go on crusade to unify his kingdom but has too much trouble with rebels on his borders (Scotland and Wales) and within from the Percy family and its firebrand son Hotspur. His own son, Harry, who will be Henry V, is carousing with Falstaff, which troubles him greatly.

But when battle is joined against the rebels, Harry shows his stuff and kills Hotspur. Falstaff also shows his st
Oct 22, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
Recommended to Victoria by: tom hiddleston

This is one of the historical fiction play I've read by Shakespeare, it's fast, funny, historical and portrays the complicated father son relationship with much psychological depth. There are plenty of characters perfectly suit for dramatic and comic effect which makes the play well rounded. With no fear Shakespeare guide, it helped me understand the old English. Overtime, I was compelled to read the original play and made my own interpretation and understanding of the text. Really pleased I mad
Matthew Dambro
Jan 17, 2016 Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
The story of the relationship between Hal/Henry V and Falstaff. Dr. Bloom argues persuasively that Falstaff is one the most fully realized characters in English literature. The other is Hamlet. The interplay between Hal and Falstaff is the stuff of legends. It is indeed presumptuous to try to judge the plays. One can only begin to understand the nature of the human. It bears rereading and much thought. One feels that one has been in the presence of greatness.
Dec 24, 2013 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
In keeping with my current obsession with the Wars of the Roses, I read these 2 plays for some Elizabethan era insight. Henry V is the real star of these two plays, not surprisingly, since he was still fondly remembered in Shakespeares time for his amazing victory at Agincourt. I love Falstaff , I guess everyone does, and found these very informative and enjoyable. Love the bard!!
Dennis Wade
Feb 10, 2014 Dennis Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Falstaff has to be greatest character of all time. Harold Bloom understands this and accompanies a fuller understanding as he becomes your portly guide into the world of Fasltaff. A world where we all need to find and embrace our inner characters. Even if we are the worst scum in the world then BE the worst scum in the world but do it with such a panache that it looks marvelous.
Jul 24, 2013 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shakespeare
I LOVED how they had the book formatted. I could read Shakespeare the way it would be written nowadays!!! I mean, I still like reading old-fashioned Shakespeare, but it was interesting for me to try it out that way. Less work for the brain. So for those of you anti-shakespeare book lovers, try this out!
Oct 07, 2015 Mariella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shakespeare
Jak jsem starší, tím víc mám ráda Shakespeara. A hlavně tedy historické hry, i když to v literatuře bylo to, co profesorka zmínila, aby nám pak mohla zbytek hodiny zbytečně dopodrobna rozebírat Hamleta.
Ale tohle je tak neskutečně dobré, vtipné i smutné zároveň.
Very good book. The No Fear Shakespeare series makes it much easier to read and understand his plays. I would never have guessed part two was so dirty without the translation.
Matthew Duquesne
Matthew Duquesne rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Dusty Bayers
Dusty Bayers rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Albert D.
Albert D. rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Angele  Ponco
Angele Ponco rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Gregory Dewaegheneire
Gregory Dewaegheneire rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Robert rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Marco Segreto
Marco Segreto rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Melissa rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
Sami rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Amanda K
Amanda K rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Danny rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
C.S. Lay
C.S. Lay rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
Majk Kamami
Majk Kamami rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Maria rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Michael Kroft
Michael Kroft rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Stacey Beckwith
Stacey Beckwith rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2015
Lemeney rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shakespeare's Kings: The Great Plays and the History of England in the Middle Ages: 1337-1485
  • Cress Delahanty
  • Chikara
  • A History of England from the Tudors to the Stuarts (Great Courses, #8470)
  • Myra Waldo's Travel And Motoring Guide To Europe
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • Newspaper Days, 1899-1906 : Volume 2 of Mencken's Autobiography
  • Taken Hostage: The Iran Hostage Crisis and America's First Encounter with Radical Islam
  • Firewall: The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-up
  • Novels, 1957-1962
  • Leap of Faith: An Astronaut's Journey Into the Unknown
  • Blood Knot and Other Plays
  • Enquiries Concerning the Human Understanding / Concerning the Principles of Morals
  • One Man, Two Guvnors
  • The Catalans: A Novel
  • Shakespeare and Modern Culture
  • The Shakespeare Thefts: In Search of the First Folios
  • The Diary of Virginia Woolf, Volume Four: 1931-1935
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...

“Over a span of twenty years, Shakespeare churned out an impressively whopping thirty-eight plays, 154 love sonnets, and two epic narrative poems. While most people associate him with his plays, it was his sonnets that likely earned him admiration among his contemporaries. Yes, that’s right: In his lifetime, Shakespeare garnered more acclaim for his sonnets than he did for his plays.
In England during the 1590s, writing plays was considered a bit hackish—a way to pay the bills—and not an intellectual pursuit. Writing sonnets was all the rage— and a way to gain literary prestige. These poems weren’t published for the plebeian public, but were written down and shared among the literati—and aristocrats looking for some intellectual cachet by becoming patrons to brilliant but perhaps financially strapped writers. So, while Shakespeare likely wrote nearly all of his love sonnets in the early to mid 1590s, they weren’t officially collected and published until 1609, well after the fad had passed.
W. H. Auden said of Shakespeare’s sonnets: “They are the work of someone whose ear is unerring.” In today’s less poetry-friendly world, appreciation of these sonnets tends, sadly, to be relegated to classrooms, Valentine’s Day, and anniversaries. Which is too bad, because—though they do indeed rhyme—they are far superior to the ditties found in ninety-nine-cent greeting cards. In fact, they cover the whole gamut of love—the good, the bad, the erotic, and the ugly, including love triangles, being dumped, and jealousy.
There is also speculation as to how autobiographical the sonnets are. The truth is that we know so little about Shakespeare’s private life.”