The Wolf's Chicken Stew

The Wolf's Chicken Stew

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  471 ratings  ·  87 reviews
In an effort to fatten up Mrs. Chicken for his delicious stew, Wolf unwittingly makes some new friends. The wolf is an endearing critter whose expressions run the gamut from sly to shy to downright lovable. A good option for story hours.--Booklist. Winner of the Kentucky Bluegrass Award. An ALA Notable Children's Book. Full color.
Published April 6th 1987 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1987)

midnightfaerie
We all loved this book. Probably around a level 1 reading book, I read this to the kids at lunch. When mouths have food in them, it tends to be quieter, not much, but a little. My 3 yr old twins loved this as well as my 5 yr old. It was engaging, and adorable, with an ending we didn't really see coming. A nice twist that kept all interested, this is a great addition to any children's collection.
Laura Komos
Love sharing this one on the 100th day of school!
Adam
One of my all time favorites! I can't say Kasza's prose is remarkable or the illustrations are Caledcott material, but the plots are so memorable and engaging that each of her books has found an eternal spot on my favorites list.

Now don't get me wrong. The illustrations are great. Kasza's training in graphic arts comes shining through with the bold colors, clean layouts, and wonderful expressions on each animal's face.

In this story Wolf makes plans to capture poor Mrs. Chicken. The first part...more
Alana
The Wolf's Chicken Stew, written by Keiko Kasza, is on the NY Public Library 100 Picturebooks List. This is a story about a wolf who loves to eat more than anything else in the world. The wolf has a craving for chicken stew, and the reader follows along the wolf's journey of "fattening" up the chicken so that he can have more soup to eat. This was a funny and suspenseful story. There was a theme about "100", where the wolf would make 100 pancakes, and then 100 donuts, and finally a cake weighing...more
Katharine
The wolf loved to eat all the time, one day he craved a chicken stew. So he went out searching for a chicken and found one. Before he decided to grab her, he decided she needed to be fattened up. So, for three nights he left different food on the front of her house. Pancakes the first night, doughnuts the second, and a big cake on the third. He thought that for sure she would be huge after eating all that food, so he went to her house ready to cook her. When he got there, the chicken revealed th...more
Jo
Awwwwww! What a ridiculously adorable story. :)

There once was a wolf who loved to eat more than anything else in the world and one day he got a craving for chicken stew, so he set off to find the perfect chicken. When he spotted one, he decided she needed to be fattened up a bit more, so the wolf started baking things for the chicken and leaving them outside her doorstep for her to eat. One day it was 100 pancakes, the next day 100 donuts and the next a 100 pound cake. The wolf decided the chic...more
Tiffany Pitts
The wolf loves to eat more than anything in the world and one day he has a strange craving for chicken stew. He spots a chicken who seems just right, but then he thinks how much more stew there will be if he fattens her up. He goes home and begins to unleash his brilliant plan. But a big surprise is in store when the wolf finally visits Mrs. Chicken to collect his meal.

The writing craft that the author used is endings. Specifically, the author did an exceptional job at creating an ironic ending...more
Melissa
Wolf has got a long tail.
Shake that tail (Shake hips)
Shake that tail
Wolf has got a long tail
Shake that tail right now.

Wolf has got a great big jaw
Snap that jaw (Make a jaw with both arms and hands, Clap)
Snap that jaw
Wolf has got a great big jaw
Snap that jaw right now!

This little wolf went to the forest (Wiggle thumb)
This little wolf stayed home (Wiggle index finger)
This little wolf ate berries (Wiggle third finger)
This little wolf ate none (Wiggle ring finger)
This little wolf went (Wiggle pinky)...more
Shaquita
In the story, "The Wolf's Chicken Stew," The Wolf was determined to have chicken stew, so he thought by cooking a lot of food and sending it to Miss Chicken he would fatten her up. Little did Wolf know he was actually providng food for Miss Chicken's one hundred baby chicks. When Wolf found out that he was actually helping out, his whole demeanor changed; so he decided he would continue cooking for the family of chickens. This is a good book for teaching children how to share and help out friend...more
Vivian
Wolf turns pastry chef as he schemes to fatten up Mrs. Chicken. Every night he delivers towering servings of delicacies to her door -- pancakes, do-nuts, cake -- until the night he deems her ready for the meal of his dreams. A happy surprise awaits them both AND a new delivery of mounds of cookies.
Paul Farbman
Jan 21, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers and young children
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
Shelves: 00-in-class
I really enjoyed this story. It's about a wolf who is trying to fatten a chicken up for stew. One of the most unique characteristics of this book is a surprising turn of events at the end.

I enjoyed the illustrations. They added to the story, but I feel that more color in the background could have made them a little more interesting.

In schools, this book is great for 100 day celebrations due to several quantities of food named that are equal to 100.
Brittany
This book is about a wolf that preys on this chicken everyday but instead of eating the chicken, the wolf gives the chicken various food to eat everyday. The wolf watches the chicken take the food with her in her house, and image her eating the food and gaining lots of extra weight that he could eat. In the end the wolf finds out that she wasn't eating any of the food but that she was giving the food to the children. She introduced the wolf to her children and they all because the best of friend...more
Hannah Edwards
The Wolf's Chicken Stew by Keiko Kasza was my all time favorite book when I was little. I would recommend this book for any kindergarten through third grade reader, it is a fairly simple read with a couple words on the more difficult side but not anything that a student K-3 wouldn't understand. The pictures in the book were very descriptive, colorful when necessary, and really set the scenes. The best part about the book is the fact that it does not end up the way the wolf had planned it to be....more
Andrea
Book type ;Fables
The book, “The Wolf’s Chicken Stew”, is a story about wolf that has a craving for chicken stew. He sees a chicken that he wants to eat, but he thinks that if the chicken is fat, he can make more stew. The wolf decides to do just that, so every night he would cook lots of treats for the chicken and put them near her front door. One night the wolf stopped by to see how fat the chicken had gotten, and to his surprise, the chicken caught him. Inside the house he saw many chicks and...more
Teri
Wolf loves to eat and decides that he would like some chicken stew. One day he spots Mrs. Chicken and decides to fatten her up and use her for his stew. Wolf sends her fattening treats like 100 doughnuts and 100 cakes, but the story takes an unexpected turn when he finally meets Mrs. Chicken and her baby chicks and realizes he has made new friends.

Audience/Age Level: K-3
Instructional Ideas:
ELA: Use to celebrate the 100th day of school; explore foreshadowing; create reader's theatre script; stude...more
Gina Mastrianno
This would be the perfect book to rrad to my future students in the 100th day celebration. As one of the activies this book describes the wolf fattening up his chicken witg 100 pancakes, donuts, and a 100 pound cake. It was a nice book because it did have a twist. Instead of the wolf eating the chicken, he realized he was feeding her chicks. He had a change of heart and made the chicks something special.
Nadia
This is a cute story I saw read to a class today. The teacher used it to help students understand and remember the beginning, middle and end of a story. It is about a wolf who decides to delay eating a chicken in order to fatten her up and eat later. To do this, he makes pancakes and cakes and all sorts of goodies and sends them to the chicken. After a while he goes to the chicken's house who is glad to see him and tells all of the 100 baby chicks in the house that 'Uncle Wolf' is here. The chic...more
Patsy Parker
The first word that comes to my mind about this story is CHARMING! It is delightful, fun, and has an unexpected outcome which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Read it to preschoolers!
Shayne Cope
I enjoyed this book. It was clever and cute. I liked that the chicken was naive to the wolf' split and that he ends up not being able to eat the chicken or the baby chicks.
Kim T.
This was such a wonderful book. It was a funny and cute. I loved that it had a totally unexpected ending. It completely surprised me.
Jonathan
A cute story about a very hungry wolf who decides that he wants chicken stew. He finds a chicken but thinks he can fatten it up by feeding it every night. So he bakes different goods and leaves at the chickens house at night. He comes back ready to take the chicken, and instead of finding a plump chicken he finds that the hen was a mother with dozens of chicks that loved wolf for his cooking. The wolf decides not to eat the chicken but instead bakes more for the chicks.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
Childr...more
Leslie Bucklew
I really liked this book. It had a twist to it and showed the reader that not everything comes out like it seems or is cliche. I loved that they ended up being friends because it's like the wolf changed his mind because he got to know the chicken and the chicks! How cool!
Rose Goodwin
This is a cute story about a wolf who wants to fatten up a hen. Find out how this story ends happily.
Magila
4.5

Slightly less awesome to me than My Lucky Day, it's still easy to see why this book won such great renown. It reads like a fable, maybe a Japanese one with which Western audiences are less familiar. There is a great message about compassion and acts of service to be found in this picture book, and the illustrations are colorful and engaging.

A book that both children and their parents will enjoy, in the middle picture book stage. Easy to see why this book is a classic in its own right.

Recommen...more
Samantha
A hungry wolf tries to fatten a chicken up for the chicken stew he is craving. For three nights he bakes loads of goodies such as pancakes, donuts, and a cake and leaves them outside the chicken's door.

On the next night, he is surprised to find the chicken hasn't grown in size, rather her baby chicks had enjoyed all of his delicious goodies. They swarm him and show their appreciation, turning a bad wolf into a good guy who's planning to bake a batch of cookies.

Great read aloud with soft waterc...more
Claudia Bell
A charming fairy tale about the soft heart of a vicious wolf.
Elaine
Wolf was hungry for chicken stew & thought of a clever way to obtain a heartier chicken. "Killing with kindness" so to speak. The ending of the story prvides a surprise twist. The kids enjoyed the story very much during preschool story hour. Simple felt finger puppets of the characters were also added to the story.
Phuong Dao
This book is about a wolf who was trying to eat up the chicken. He waited and waited for the chicken to come by but then he had a thought. He wants to feed the chicken fat and big so he can make better soup. he then decided to make the chicken some pancake. When he knock on the door the chicken comes out and there were many other chick in there. The chicken told the chicks to say thank you to Mr. wolf. He melted and change his mind about eating them. This is a good book to teach children to love...more
Chastidy Stanford
I thought that this book was enjoyable. It was definitely a book that I can see keeping young readers entertained and interested the entire time.
Heidi
Another cute one by Kasza. While there were cute pictures, not all of them were as great as the fox book. Still a fun choice for preschool storytime with its story and twist at the end.

1/11/12 Went better than I expected in both groups. Simple pictures made the sweep able to a bit faster. All the yummy foods were fun to have the kids say if they liked or not. And I especially loved when we pretended to be the chicks and gave all the kisses. Even the second, smaller, shy group participated. They...more
MCC Children's Li...: Week 10 readings 1 1 Mar 25, 2012 12:06PM
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • The Perfect Nest
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza
My Lucky Day A Mother for Choco The Dog Who Cried Wolf Ready for Anything! Badger's Fancy Meal