Start by marking “The Wolf's Chicken Stew” as Want to Read:
The Wolf's Chicken Stew

The Wolf's Chicken Stew

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  925 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
The wolf loves to eat more than anything in the world and one day he has a terrible craving for chicken stew. He spots a chicken who seems just right, but then he thinks how much more stew there will be if he fattens her up before dining himself. So he goes home and begins to cook all kinds of scrumptious food for the chicken to eat. A big surprise is in store for the wolf ...more
Published April 6th 1987 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf's Chicken Stew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wolf's Chicken Stew

midnightfaerie
We all loved this book. Probably around a level 1 reading book, I read this to the kids at lunch. When mouths have food in them, it tends to be quieter, not much, but a little. My 3 yr old twins loved this as well as my 5 yr old. It was engaging, and adorable, with an ending we didn't really see coming. A nice twist that kept all interested, this is a great addition to any children's collection.
Maggie Sideris
Jun 02, 2016 Maggie Sideris marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Title: The Wolf 19s Chicken Stew
Grade Level: 1st-5th
Summary: This book is about a wolf that loves to eat. One day he really wants chicken stew, so he searches for a chicken, and finally finds one. He wants to fatten the chicken up, so that he has more stew for himself, so he bakes the chicken a bunch of fattening things, and in the end it turns out that the chicken used the food the wolf brought her to feed her chicks.
Review: This was a very cute book. It was a very easy read so many first grade
Matthew
May 13, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
So, the chicken and the wolf are at it again. This time, the wolf is hungry for chicken, but the chicken is not fat enough for the wolf. To rectify this misfortune, Wolf decides to fatten chicken up by leaving anonymous treats for the chicken to eat each evening. After three days of heavy feeding, he decides to collect on his investment only to discover that the chicken hasn't been eating the treats, but spreading them among her chicks. Now, the wolf isn't looked upon as a predator, but a belove ...more
Andrew Stockle
In “The Wolf’s Chicken Stew” we meet this crazy wolf who has a craving for some chicken stew. In his attempt to fatten up the chicken the wolf prepares one hundred pancakes, doughnuts, and a hundred pound cake in hopes that the chicken will be nice, plump, and perfect for eating. On the final night when the wolf comes to the chicken’s house to check her progress he is surprised to find that the chicken has not gained any weight because she has been feeding the food by the hundreds to her hundred ...more
Annie
The Wolf's Chicken Stew is a cute picture story about a big bad wolf who doesn't turn out to be so bad after all. He wants to cook a tasty chicken stew, but he decides to fatten up the hen first. When he goes to see if she has fattened up, he discovers that the hen and all her chicks are super happy because he's been giving them such nice food. In the end, he decides not to cook the hen after all.

The pictures weren't anything impressive, nor were they bad either. They got the message of the stor
Laura Komos
Feb 07, 2012 Laura Komos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Love sharing this one on the 100th day of school!
Adam
Mar 08, 2009 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorites! I can't say Kasza's prose is remarkable or the illustrations are Caledcott material, but the plots are so memorable and engaging that each of her books has found an eternal spot on my favorites list.

Now don't get me wrong. The illustrations are great. Kasza's training in graphic arts comes shining through with the bold colors, clean layouts, and wonderful expressions on each animal's face.

In this story Wolf makes plans to capture poor Mrs. Chicken. The first part
Alana
Jan 25, 2012 Alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf's Chicken Stew, written by Keiko Kasza, is on the NY Public Library 100 Picturebooks List. This is a story about a wolf who loves to eat more than anything else in the world. The wolf has a craving for chicken stew, and the reader follows along the wolf's journey of "fattening" up the chicken so that he can have more soup to eat. This was a funny and suspenseful story. There was a theme about "100", where the wolf would make 100 pancakes, and then 100 donuts, and finally a cake weighing ...more
Katharine
Nov 27, 2012 Katharine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
The wolf loved to eat all the time, one day he craved a chicken stew. So he went out searching for a chicken and found one. Before he decided to grab her, he decided she needed to be fattened up. So, for three nights he left different food on the front of her house. Pancakes the first night, doughnuts the second, and a big cake on the third. He thought that for sure she would be huge after eating all that food, so he went to her house ready to cook her. When he got there, the chicken revealed th ...more
Shelby Royalty
This book reminded me of an Aesops Fable, simply because of the story. This book would be good for younger elementary, although all children could enjoy this story. In the story, a wolf decides that he wants chicken stew, so he brings a chicken lots of food to fatten her up. At the end, when the wolf goes to catch the newly fattened chicken, he finds out that the chicken has been sharing her food with her babies. The wolf then feels bad for his plan, and changes his ways.
Jo
Feb 18, 2010 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, wolves
Awwwwww! What a ridiculously adorable story. :)

There once was a wolf who loved to eat more than anything else in the world and one day he got a craving for chicken stew, so he set off to find the perfect chicken. When he spotted one, he decided she needed to be fattened up a bit more, so the wolf started baking things for the chicken and leaving them outside her doorstep for her to eat. One day it was 100 pancakes, the next day 100 donuts and the next a 100 pound cake. The wolf decided the chic
Tiffany Pitts
The wolf loves to eat more than anything in the world and one day he has a strange craving for chicken stew. He spots a chicken who seems just right, but then he thinks how much more stew there will be if he fattens her up. He goes home and begins to unleash his brilliant plan. But a big surprise is in store when the wolf finally visits Mrs. Chicken to collect his meal.

The writing craft that the author used is endings. Specifically, the author did an exceptional job at creating an ironic ending
Melissa
Wolf has got a long tail.
Shake that tail (Shake hips)
Shake that tail
Wolf has got a long tail
Shake that tail right now.

Wolf has got a great big jaw
Snap that jaw (Make a jaw with both arms and hands, Clap)
Snap that jaw
Wolf has got a great big jaw
Snap that jaw right now!

This little wolf went to the forest (Wiggle thumb)
This little wolf stayed home (Wiggle index finger)
This little wolf ate berries (Wiggle third finger)
This little wolf ate none (Wiggle ring finger)
This little wolf went (Wiggle pinky)
Jenna
I've read this one before but it's just as cute now as it was then. Nice drawings, but not my favorite from this author. It is also a bit wordy so it might be harder to read. (view spoiler)
Shaquita
In the story, "The Wolf's Chicken Stew," The Wolf was determined to have chicken stew, so he thought by cooking a lot of food and sending it to Miss Chicken he would fatten her up. Little did Wolf know he was actually providng food for Miss Chicken's one hundred baby chicks. When Wolf found out that he was actually helping out, his whole demeanor changed; so he decided he would continue cooking for the family of chickens. This is a good book for teaching children how to share and help out friend ...more
Brooke
Jun 29, 2015 Brooke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flannel-board
I wouldn't have read this book for story time, but it worked fairly well for a flannel board. I found pictures of huge piles of doughnuts, etc, and I made a picture of 100 chicks from clipart. The kids thought it was funny when I had the chicks kiss the wolf. Overall it went okay.
Paul Farbman
Jan 21, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teachers and young children
Recommended to Paul by: Terry Benton
Shelves: 00-in-class
I really enjoyed this story. It's about a wolf who is trying to fatten a chicken up for stew. One of the most unique characteristics of this book is a surprising turn of events at the end.

I enjoyed the illustrations. They added to the story, but I feel that more color in the background could have made them a little more interesting.

In schools, this book is great for 100 day celebrations due to several quantities of food named that are equal to 100.
Brittany
This book is about a wolf that preys on this chicken everyday but instead of eating the chicken, the wolf gives the chicken various food to eat everyday. The wolf watches the chicken take the food with her in her house, and image her eating the food and gaining lots of extra weight that he could eat. In the end the wolf finds out that she wasn't eating any of the food but that she was giving the food to the children. She introduced the wolf to her children and they all because the best of friend ...more
Hannah Edwards
Aug 29, 2012 Hannah Edwards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf's Chicken Stew by Keiko Kasza was my all time favorite book when I was little. I would recommend this book for any kindergarten through third grade reader, it is a fairly simple read with a couple words on the more difficult side but not anything that a student K-3 wouldn't understand. The pictures in the book were very descriptive, colorful when necessary, and really set the scenes. The best part about the book is the fact that it does not end up the way the wolf had planned it to be. ...more
Andrea
Jun 17, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fabel
Book type ;Fables
The book, “The Wolf’s Chicken Stew”, is a story about wolf that has a craving for chicken stew. He sees a chicken that he wants to eat, but he thinks that if the chicken is fat, he can make more stew. The wolf decides to do just that, so every night he would cook lots of treats for the chicken and put them near her front door. One night the wolf stopped by to see how fat the chicken had gotten, and to his surprise, the chicken caught him. Inside the house he saw many chicks and
Samantha Catalano
At first, the story line made me nervous. Something about a wolf following a chicken around in order to catch and eat it didn't seem appropriate for small children. But they made it work, and the ending was very cute!
Teri
Oct 03, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolf loves to eat and decides that he would like some chicken stew. One day he spots Mrs. Chicken and decides to fatten her up and use her for his stew. Wolf sends her fattening treats like 100 doughnuts and 100 cakes, but the story takes an unexpected turn when he finally meets Mrs. Chicken and her baby chicks and realizes he has made new friends.

Audience/Age Level: K-3
Instructional Ideas:
ELA: Use to celebrate the 100th day of school; explore foreshadowing; create reader's theatre script; stude
Richard
Mar 16, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it's the plot twist or the way I've read some of the dialogue, but the kids get a kick out of this book when doing school visits. It's a good choice for 1st and 2nd graders.
Halea
Jan 22, 2015 Halea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very cute and funny. It had a lot of personification and descriptive words. This book is also great for character development and teaching about how people can change.
Nadia
Mar 25, 2009 Nadia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute story I saw read to a class today. The teacher used it to help students understand and remember the beginning, middle and end of a story. It is about a wolf who decides to delay eating a chicken in order to fatten her up and eat later. To do this, he makes pancakes and cakes and all sorts of goodies and sends them to the chicken. After a while he goes to the chicken's house who is glad to see him and tells all of the 100 baby chicks in the house that 'Uncle Wolf' is here. The chic ...more
Patsy Parker
Jul 07, 2014 Patsy Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
The first word that comes to my mind about this story is CHARMING! It is delightful, fun, and has an unexpected outcome which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Read it to preschoolers!
Shayne Cope
I enjoyed this book. It was clever and cute. I liked that the chicken was naive to the wolf' split and that he ends up not being able to eat the chicken or the baby chicks.
Jenn Clauss
Sep 29, 2015 Jenn Clauss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wolf's Chicken Stew is a classic story with a fun twist. It would be fun to pair this book with Mo Willems' That Is NOT a Good Idea for a story time or lesson plan.
Beyond the Pages
May 22, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a wonderful book. It was a funny and cute. I loved that it had a totally unexpected ending. It completely surprised me.
Jonathan
Nov 27, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, food-cooking
A cute story about a very hungry wolf who decides that he wants chicken stew. He finds a chicken but thinks he can fatten it up by feeding it every night. So he bakes different goods and leaves at the chickens house at night. He comes back ready to take the chicken, and instead of finding a plump chicken he finds that the hen was a mother with dozens of chicks that loved wolf for his cooking. The wolf decides not to eat the chicken but instead bakes more for the chicks.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE: