Start by marking “Don't Know Much About Anything: Everything You Need to Know but Never Learned About People, Places, Events, and More!” as Want to Read:

Don't Know Much About Anything: Everything You Need to Know but Never Learned About People, Places, Events, and More! (Don't Know Much About)

In his wildly entertaining, winningly irreverent, New York Times bestselling Don't Know Much About series, author Kenneth C. Davis has amused and edified us with fascinating facts about history, mythology, the Bible, the universe, geography, and the Civil War.

Now, the sky's the limit in his latest irresistible installment—a grand tour of knowledge that carries us from the
Published July 31st 2007 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Don't Know Much About Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Know Much About Anything

Aug 03, 2008 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction-adult
True fans of trivia are bound to be disappointed with this assortment of questions and answers. For more in-depth information on similar topics (and more background on history myths), better look to The Book of General Ignorance. This book might have at least been more enjoyable to read had it had used a similar format. Instead, basically a few sentences suffice to introduce each topic hand followed by a handful of quiz questions with answers on the next page. This got annoying almost immediatel ...more
Blythe Penland
May 23, 2016 Blythe Penland rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Philip Penland
I thought this book was very informative. I saw this book at my library and I just heard it calling to me. Honestly, I don't know much about anything. This book had lots of facts about things I'm familiar with and not-so-familiar with. I enjoyed learning about various topics, mostly entertainment and outer space, but that's just me. I think that this was a really good book who want to know more about things they may have heard, and dig deeper into the subject. I think this book was taught better ...more
May 24, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I have read all of Mr. Davis’ other (adult) books except Don’t Know Much About the Civil War. Don’t Know Much About Anything is written in a different format than his others. It is more of a Trivia book, tackling a wide range of topics in quiz-like form. Topics include Famous People, Historic Happenings, Food, Sports and Entertainment. Subjects include Mother Theresa, The Nuremburg Trials, Volcanoes, and Valentine’s Day. Davis opens each subject with an introductory paragraph followed by a serie ...more
lyndsay ortiz
Jun 25, 2008 lyndsay ortiz rated it it was ok
This was my first K.Davis purchase and was sorely disappointed due to the lack of substance to each topic offered. The subjects are only briefly explained (one paragraph) then a few questions are asked about it.

The information is given in the question/answer or true/false format, the answers being on the next page. Each topic is covered in one page. Even the Civil Rights Movement...and peanut butter.

I usually love trivia, reference, and books on various subjects such as this.

This book is perfe
Jun 07, 2015 Holly rated it it was ok
There were some interesting facts sprinkled in this book, but they were seemingly random facts. I would have liked the author to go a little deeper on his brief synopses.
Sep 27, 2011 Gina rated it it was ok
Davis tries a different approach here, giving a page per topic with a short blurb followed by questions so you can quiz yourself. It did not work for me. Where his other books have been so interesting and educational, this one was too disjointed and shallow, and sometimes information on different pages repeats, making it even more obvious that we are not working with a concerted effort here. Plus, often the questions are trick questions, or vague, where it does not stay connected in your head wh ...more
Aug 08, 2015 Tyler rated it it was ok
Synopsis: This book has little snippets about just about anything, although the majority of the topics covered seemed like they would only be of interest to Americans. Various people, places and things are all covered and described in bursts throughout the book.

My Review: Honestly, I was quite disappointed with this book. I'm not sure what I expected, but this one didn't cut the mustard. Things in the book felt a little superficial and while reading it I felt a bit like I was wasting my time. My
May 11, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting information! Wish I had a more current version (I'm reading the 2007 edition in 2016). But still very informative. My biggest complaint is only that it is a pain flipping pages back and forth constantly to get the answers to the trivia questions.
Apr 20, 2011 Christian rated it it was ok
I read this hoping that I would be amazed by the facts, but I thought it was a major let-down. First, they ask you the questions but give you just a paragraph of background information, so the only thing I read is the paragraph. Second, I already knew about 75% of the answers, so I was skipping the pages I already knew. I'm probably being too harsh, but for just one reader, this book is not good. If I were at a gathering of some friends, I would get this book and quiz them, because some of them ...more
Nov 21, 2007 Bill rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007, non-fiction
I much prefer his narrative books to this quiz format. The content was generally good, while he occasionally contradicted himself in a few places. For example, saying in one place that all U.S. Presidents have followed George Washington's lead in adding "So help me God." to the end of their oath. Later in that section was a question asking who was the first president that didn't say it.
May 22, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it
A very fun trivia styled book of facts you feel you should know but still draw blanks. It was fun to learn new pieces of history about everything from presidents to hamburgers. At times I wished the book was more in depth on subjects and the page turning was a little tedious. Overall it was a fun and education read.
Sep 02, 2012 Melissa rated it it was ok
I liked the idea of quick blurbs about historical topics and people (plus much more), but I don't love the quiz questions. I think a more direct summary on each topic would be more interesting to me. I'm very thankful to be finished with this book....kind of painful.
Jamie F
Dec 23, 2011 Jamie F rated it did not like it
Not for me. I listened to it in the car... I found the kid's voice that asked the questions to grow annoying and after having read first family, I much rather learn about history in less of a fast food way. With that said it could be great for someone else....
Sep 21, 2016 Elyse rated it it was ok
A trivia book written in a "Question-Answer" format. Some questions were impossible to answer (at least for number challenged me), ie the population of a place, the distance between here and there. Some questions were asked twice! A sloppy piece of work.
Nov 20, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This book is a great concept to learn basic history and entertainment milestones that I would relate to being top "trivia" type questions. For me it was a good refresher for some key historic facts that you just forget over the years.
Sarah Jowett
Apr 05, 2011 Sarah Jowett rated it it was ok
I love this series of books but this one was kind of a let down with the layout and style. Rather than a page about the person or place or event, it's a blurb and then the answers to just four or five brief questions.
Feb 16, 2016 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, nonfiction
A great book for trivia nuts!
Aug 06, 2013 Nohreen rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun to read, but I was hoping for more details and information on the collection of trivia in this book. One page devoted for most of them is not enough and doesn't give much.
Oct 20, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it
The chapters in this book were written in such a way that you thought you might read one, but it was so interesting you always read a few more.
Kathy Beatty
Aug 01, 2008 Kathy Beatty rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes games
Fun! Book of quizzes about a variety of topics, i.e.: Houdini; Vietnam; Salem Witch Trials; Playboy. Lots of fun when on a long trip.
Judith Pickens
Jan 04, 2013 Judith Pickens rated it it was ok
It's not his fault I don't like this book, anything that calls edison brilliant without even mentioning Tesla has failed for me.
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2010- Learned a few things and helped clear up some common misconceptions, but I didn't like the quiz format.
Nov 05, 2007 Kyle rated it really liked it
A bunch of facts about famous people, places, and things that you'll never use but fun to read about anyway.
Jun 12, 2012 Saja rated it it was ok
Shelves: 52-books-2012
I skipped the sports section, interesting/great informations, but too much dates and history ;/
Dec 27, 2012 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reg-nf-read
not much to it, but it is somewhat interesting. Hoping my grandson will like it.
Dec 06, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok
This is basically a book of easy trivia. I didn't find it very interesting.
Laurie Simmons
I read a few pages while I drink my morning coffee. I already feel smarter.
Jan 06, 2010 Lindsey rated it liked it
Love this book! I learn something new each time I pick it up and read an entry.
Karina Ruiz
Oct 24, 2011 Karina Ruiz rated it it was amazing
The simplest way to learn things that was impossible for me to learn in school.
Dec 20, 2008 Wiley added it
AuthorsOnTheWeb Internet Marketing campaign for HarperCollins.
  • The Handy History Answer Book
  • Beethoven: The Music and the Life
  • Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac: 8,888 Questions in 365 Days
  • Art Through the Ages 2
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge: A Deliciously Irreverent Guide to Feeling Smart Again
  • Slanted and Enchanted: The Evolution of Indie Culture
  • The Disciplined Mind: Beyond Facts and Standardized Tests, the  K-12 Education That Every Child Deserves
  • Poplorica: A Popular History of the Fads, Mavericks, Inventions, and Lore That Shaped Modern America
  • Disney Trivia from the Vault: Secrets Revealed and Questions Answered
  • Classical Music: The 50 Greatest Composers and Their 1,000 Greatest Works
  • The Wikipedia Revolution: How a Bunch of Nobodies Created the World's Greatest Encyclopedia
  • What's the Big Idea?: Question-Driven Units to Motivate Reading, Writing, and Thinking
  • Theories of the Universe
  • The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions
  • Modern Music and After - Directions Since 1945
  • The Laws of Thinking: 20 Secrets to Using the Divine Power of Your Mind to Manifest Prosperity
  • The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green
Kenneth C. Davis is the New York Times bestselling author of the Don't Know Much About series of books and audios for adults and children. The first title in the series, Don't Know Much About History became a New York Times bestseller in 1991 and remained on the paperback list for 35 consecutive weeks. It has since been revised several times and now has more than 1.6 million copies in print.

He is
More about Kenneth C. Davis...

Don't Know Much About (8 books)
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Geography: Everything You Need to Know About the World but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much about History: Everything You Need to Know about American History But Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Mythology: Everything You Need to Know About the Greatest Stories in Human History but Never Learned
  • Don't Know Much About Anything Else: Even More Things You Need to Know but Never Learned About People, Places, Events, and More!