Start by marking “I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church!” as Want to Read:
I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church!

I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church!

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The author coaches pastors and churches of many denominations across North America, with a special interest in new church development and multi-site congregations in urban areas. The commitment to lead healthy, growing spiritual movements is what this book is all about.
Published March 1st 2007 by Pilgrim Press (first published January 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Refuse to Lead a Dying Church!

Tara Tetzlaff
Loved it, hated it, laughed & cried....I think this book brought out every possible emotion in me as a pastor. At several points I disagreed with some of Nixon's assumptions and conclusions...there seemed to be a lack of contextualization, but there was also a great deal of info that was spot on and offered some great ideas for honest assessment.A great quote from the chapter on Bold versus Mild "If the goal is to offend no one (which is the goal in many churches), or even worse to offend no ...more
Kirstie Froeber
It was awesome and if you have a church that you want to make a change in because you really dont think the people engage enough in it or you really think there isnt much life to your church that you have a imagined then you should PICk up this book. And just go to your paster and really have a good and postive talk about this. Maybe you'll be the person who changed the church that you LOve so Muchh ! I really liked this book. :D
This book could be very useful to a congregation thinking about how to move in new directions and outside the regular boundaries/expectations. He sets up six very clear choices that congregations must make in their decision to move outward: choosing life over death, choosing community over isolation, choosing fun over drudgery, choosing bold over mild, choosing frontier over fortress, choosing now rather than later. This book will not transform your church overnight, but it may help you as a chu ...more
Feb 06, 2008 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pastors and Churches
Recommended to Rebecca by: Pastor Keith
Shelves: ministry
A harsh dose of reality for pastors and churches. A great read and a fast read. Well worth it.
just a bunch of platitudes. No substance. No mention of ways to spread the Gospel. could have been written for a rotary club and been just as insightful.
Some good points and unique ideas but not a real meaty book.
Nixon's discussion doesn't provide much that is new in the way of information or strategy for church growth. However, it provides a clear, helpful, and energizing framework for widely-accepted congregational development thinking. It is a short, very accessible and even inspiring introduction to church growth and would work particularly well for group study at both congregational and judicatory levels.
Marcus Lynn
With so many good "church growth" and "church health" books out there it's hard to believe that this would be only anyone's top 10 lists. Don't get me wrong: it's not bad. It's just not that good and with so many better books out there, this is one I wished I skipped. The good thing is that it was short.
Steven Bullmer
Nixon does a great job of encouraging us in mainline churches to not give up and refuse to settle for the mediocrity we've come to expect and the inertia we've come to experience. Nothing new, but a good restating of what we all know, but rarely have the courage to follow through and do.
Erika May
The book was succinct but didn't have too much new information, especially for those who study church growth. For me, the best part was the section on small groups. It gave me some good ideas for starting groups and hopefully, keeping them alive.
Encouragement to do what needs to be done to save your church from death. Good practical ideas to get you started.
L. Michelle Rhames
L. Michelle Rhames marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
John Vest
John Vest marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Elaine marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Hannah is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Angela Larose
Angela Larose is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Kat C
Kat C marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Angela Brewster
Angela Brewster marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014