Start by marking “Memoirs Of A Spymaster” as Want to Read:
Memoirs Of A Spymaster

Memoirs Of A Spymaster

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For three decades Markus Wolf was the head of East Germany's foreign-intelligence department. This autobiography is a story of loyalty, betrayal and idealism.
Published April 2nd 1998 by Pimlico (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs Of A Spymaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs Of A Spymaster

Simon
Man Without A Face is an interesting read. I've read criticisms about the book accusing Wolf of denying his involvement in the repression of East Germans and the GDR's involvement with terrorist organisations. I can't help but feel these people didn't read the book. As Wolf states early on, this is book written by someone on the losing side of the Cold War who still believes in the superiority of socialism over capitalism. There is no need for him to apologise for his beliefs but he does acknowl ...more
Owen
Dan
I'm obsessed with Cold War history, and this is a good chronicle from the former head of intelligence services in East Germany. Born in Weimar Germany to communist parents and raised and educated in the Soviet Union during the Third Reich, Wolf returned to East Germany after WWII under the USSR's carefully orchestrated program of transitioning Soviet-occupied countries of Europe into Communist-partner states of the USSR. Wolf details the methods of intelligence used to procure information from c ...more
John
Autobiography of East Germany's foreign espionage and intelligence chief. Very good; he became an advocate of glasnost, amazingly enough. Lots of interesting info.
Arne
Good read, but I read too many reviews arguing the veracity. I'm no expert on East Germany, but it was still interesting.
Christi
Fascinating...
Mark
This book is a nice blend of cultures that I've studied (German and Russian) with spies. And really, what's more fun than spies? It is also a glimpse into the thoughts (i.e. justifications) of those who were responsible for serious oppression. They were people too, and looking at the "reasoning" they used while setting up such a police state gives perspective on our own justifications for things. But mostly it's about spies and spycraft.
Amar Pai
Kind of a gross apologia... dude takes pains to constantly justify everything he did & separate himself from the Stasi and KGB, but it rings hollow. He was Stasi scum. Not that our own spymasters in the US were heroes either... but at least they didn't write self-serving memoirs.

Also, the book is just boring. Much duller than the title suggests.
Sander
De memoires van het hoofd van de buitenlandse inlichtingendienst van de DDR. Zeer interessant voor wie geinteresseerd is in de (soms klein-menselijke) verhalen achter de geschiedkundige feiten.
Zeer vlot en toegankelijk geschreven, alhoewel wat kennis van de geschiedenis van de koude oorlog toch noodzakelijk is om van dit boek te genieten.
Robert
A good research source about the DDR, Wolf's book details his years as head of the Stasi's Foreign Intel unit. While I do wish there were more anecdotes about Erich Mielke, this was a worthwhile source for my own upcoming books about the DDR/BDR history.
Pankaj Kapoor
Mar 13, 2011 Pankaj Kapoor rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pankaj by: Pravesh Bharadwaj
Wolf spent a lot of time in the book justifying what he did. Those explanations got a bit tedious. What I liked was this sprinkling of dry humor nuggets all over. The chapter on Cuba as well as Romeos is by far the best part about the book.
Dagmar Cunningham
tedious account of a spying life and justification , little regret. Markus Wolf describes the secret service of the GDR as just another workplace.
J.C.
I couldn't finish chapter 3, that's how dull the writing was. To bad he was influenced by all those long winded Russian writers.
Rgauthie
I didn't think you could make running a spy network during the Cold War boring, but this book manages to do it.
بهمن بهمن
khaterate jalebe rayise sabeghe sazmane jasoosie almane sharghi
Matty Wagener
Masterfully written and totally engrossing.
5/5
Steve Heil
Steve Heil is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
M.atzoritip.nl
M.atzoritip.nl marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Matthew Branin
Matthew Branin marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Luke Heyerman
Luke Heyerman marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jan
Jan is currently reading it
Nov 16, 2014
James Allan
James Allan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • The Craft of Intelligence: America's Legendary Spy Master on the Fundamentals of Intelligence Gathering for a Free World
  • Defend the Realm: The Authorized History of MI5
  • Faust's Metropolis: A History of Berlin
  • In Times of Fading Light: A Novel
  • Eastern Approaches
  • By Way of Deception: The Making of a Mossad Officer
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • The File : A Personal History
  • Spymaster: My Thirty-two Years in Intelligence and Espionage Against the West
  • Chief of Station, Congo: Fighting the Cold War in a Hot Zone
  • Body of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency from the Cold War Through the Dawn of a New Century
Die Troika Spionagechef Im Geheimen Krieg:  Erinnerungen Freimaurertum Bei Puskin: Einfuhrung In Die Russische Freimaurerei Und Ihre Bedeutung Fur Puskins Literarisches Werk (Slavistische Beitrage) Kunst der Verstellung: Dokumente, Gespräche, Interviews Markus Wolf: Ich Bin Kein Spion:  Gesprache Mit Markus Wolf (German Edition)

“I know Mischa, but you know how the politburo runs. If I say one word of this in there, I'll be out of my job the next day.' Remember, Gorbachev only became general secretary after he had kept his mouth shut under three predecessors.” 2 likes