Start by marking “Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)” as Want to Read:
Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)

Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan #8)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,260 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Patrick McLanahan is back — and this time he faces his most difficult challenge. He must pull together a team of aggressive, maverick young pilots to face a world on the brink of massive nuclear conflict.

It begins with a joint U.S.-Japanese-South Korean mock bombing raid. But the South Korean fighter pilots don't stick to the script. Instead, they race across the border i
Mass Market Paperback, 555 pages
Published February 27th 2001 by Bantam Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Battle Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle Born

Neil
It's been a while since I last read this book. The first time I read it, I wasn't too impressed with it. It was 'all right' in terms of character development and plot. The tech ideas were pretty cool, though [including making plasma-bomb that make things 'vanish' as if they never existed when the expanding silver-colored plasma sphere encompasses the target]. The descriptions of the B-1 bombers flying like fighters as opposed to bombers was pretty cool, too. Jump start to numerous years later an ...more
Jay
Jul 17, 2014 Jay rated it liked it
A book about a new Megafortress the B1 bomber. An interesting setup but the book spent too much time developing the characters and describing the technology and not enough time on the underlying conflict.

It took until what seemed the very end of the book to even get the new bones in combat. I would rather have seen this part of the story be fleshed out more.

Overall a good read that I did enjoy.
David K Miller.
A lot of fun reading about one of my favorite planes applied to a real world possibility.

Dale Brown weaves the current headlines into the most interesting and plausible scenarios and his true life experience adds a sense of realism that no other author can match. His use of crewdog jargon injects the color I have come to expect.
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
Dale Brown had me with Flight of the Old Dog and he doesn't believe in catch and release. Another awesome read from Brown and the very effective use of continuation of main characters.

When I read Dale Brown, I'm always awed by his technical knowledge, but even more intriguing is his almost clairvoyant ability to write stories that seem to connect with future events.

I find I'm always watching for new releases by Brown.
Ed
Feb 27, 2016 Ed added it
Shelves: military, action, thriller
#8 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, et al.- NV Air National Guard unit and modified B-1 bombers get involved in preserving the reunification of Korea amidst threats of nuclear activity from Korea, China and renegade factions of former North Korea.
Joe
Feb 06, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I really enjoyed rereading this book, I have read it in the past. That's writer does a great job of telling how these new systems work. The personal interplay between the crew added to the book. Read it you will enjoy.
Charles M LIght
Jul 16, 2015 Charles M LIght rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining, with lots of action.

Definitely up to Dale Brown standards. Excellent read, never a dull moment. Keep them coming and I'll keep buying. Patrick McLanahan is the kind of officer we need in the military.
Gregory S. Bates
As usual.

Once Dale Brown gets his hooks into you, just keep shaking your wallet, it's all good. Everything is spelled properly and the dots are in the right spots.
patricia a. blanton
Battle Born . is a great read

Battle born will keep you in sixpence from the first chapter till the end. I would recommend this book to all who love an exciting military story.
Henri Moreaux
Another solid installment in the Patrick McLanahan series.

My only criticism would be that more time was spent on the characters than the conflict, and that some of the technology involved was getting to the fanciful end of the spectrum (eg the implants).

That being said the book was a real page turner and both exciting and detailed. This chapter of the series revolves around the B-1 Bomber (officially Lancer, unofficially Bone) being tooled up in the manner seen in past books and sent in to dif
Dennis
Jan 28, 2014 Dennis rated it really liked it
Dale Brown's books are always a lot of fun and this book was no exception. Good story line and page-turning acting almost from beginning to end. I'll just keep reading his books!
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 10, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Two years ago US military bases in Asia was nuked by the Chinese but nuclear war was adverted. Now South Korea invades North Korea and the country is unified. All non-Korean forces are expelled from the country and the new Korea confiscates Chinese nuclear and biological weapons in the country as the Chinese depart In the US a new airborne antimissile system is developed. When Korea and China go to war, the Americans activate the system.
Ray
Dec 10, 2012 Ray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, owned
This is a "guilty pleasure" read. I love the Dale Brown books after having discovered his first "The Flight of the Old Dog". In my opinion, he ranks right up there with Tom Clancy. This one pertains to an unusual North/South Korea invasion, and the famous Dreamland high tech that saves the day. Loved every minute; read it in three days.
Pete
Jan 12, 2010 Pete rated it liked it
Another MacLanahan! Back to page-turners!

I always like these, though I have to say that he is really starting to reach on these. The plots are getting a tad more outlandish. Nevertheless, I enjoyed.
Tatiana
Jul 29, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was ok
Obviously, this book wasn't for me. The first chapter reminded me (cheesily) of Top Gun. No. Thank.You.
Olof
Dec 13, 2012 Olof rated it really liked it
Long time ago I read it, but I remember I really liked it and that there were many nuclear explosions :)
Clyn
Apr 23, 2010 Clyn rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series. If you like these types of books, you will love this one.
Jason
Aug 20, 2011 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tech-thriller nothing outstanding as only one in the series i`ve read but read worse. ...more
Doug
Aug 20, 2011 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-dale-brown
Excellent again. Nevada bad boy nails his CO and a spot at Dreamland.
Richard
Nov 02, 2008 Richard rated it really liked it
Great UAV and new Air Force thinking.
Mikethecripple
Oct 29, 2012 Mikethecripple rated it it was amazing
another awesome book by dale ;P
Luis
Mar 21, 2011 Luis rated it really liked it
A good one tech-thriller.
Dave Compeau
Jul 20, 2012 Dave Compeau rated it it was amazing
Scary how real this could be!
Bob
May 25, 2009 Bob rated it it was ok
too much detail
Tim
Nov 22, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it
Good Book
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Ted Robinson
Ted Robinson is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Paul Fry
Paul Fry rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
William Shaw
William Shaw marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • Vortex
  • America (Jake Grafton #9)
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)

“are limited by procedure to” 0 likes