Pop Babylon

Pop Babylon

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  21 reviews
How do you make it as a pop star? Why does one boy band make it big and another disappear off the pages of the magazines altogether? Why do girls cost more than boys? And who should you sleep with to get to number one?

Packed with scandal and intrigue, Pop Babylon takes you to the dark heart of one of the world's most wicked and secretive industries. It's a world where mone...more
310 pages
Published 2008 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Pop Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pop Babylon

Petra X
Sometimes a 5-star book is a well-written, spellbinding story, sometimes its a quick, fast read of a subject that leaves you with your mouth open. Wow, could this sort of shit really be true? Its so phenomenally out of my sphere of experience that I can't wait to turn the page to see what is the next step on the road to fame (and its great that the book names names).
Alarra
Nothing new, and I love that this is filed under non-fiction at my local library. True scandalous tales and statistics from the music industry fictionalised as a year in the life of a manufactured boy-band. I think she'd be better off writing these as actual non-fiction exposes, because the fictional prose is crappy.
Sue_o
Another fast, fast, fast pop read - I read this in two days on my commute. Imogen Edwards-Jones was on to a winner when she invented the Babylon series, in which she writes a fictionalised, insider's view of an industry that intrigues us, by interviewing a source or two. Pop Babylon's protagonist is fun: a pretty gross, lazy, immoral record industry manager who's creating a boy band to cash in on what is already a dying craze. The book itself feels a bit lazy, but there are some great, cynical m...more
Natalia Lena
Popularne przysłowie mówi, że ciekawość to pierwszy stopień do piekła. Jeśli to rzeczywiście prawda, to Imogen Edwards-Jones do piekła zjeżdża windą. Ta popularna brytyjska pisarka i dziennikarka jest autorką bestsellerowej serii ,,Babylon”, na którą, jak do tej pory, składają się następujące tytuły: Hotel Babylon, Air Babylon, Fashion Babylon, Beach Babylon, Pop Babylon, Wedding Babylon i Hospital Babylon*. Jak widać, spektrum jej zainteresowań obejmuje chyba absolutnie wszystkie branże.
W tej r...more
Sam Still Reading
Jan 01, 2012 Sam Still Reading rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who want an insight into the pop industry
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: read other Babylon books
Pop Babylon is another book in the Babylon series that includes ‘real-life’ experiences from hotels, hospitals, aeroplanes, resorts and now the world of pop. These books are light reading and somewhat hit and miss for me. I loved Hotel and Hospital, but not Beach as much. Why do I keep reading them? Well, for two reasons: they’re easy to pick up and put down when I’m working extra long hours and I’m nosy – I want to know what’s really going on. Plus, these books have been in abundance recently a...more
Femke
Ik kocht dit boek in een 2+1 aanbieding en dus had ik al een idee dat het niet zo heel veel soeps zou zijn. En ik kreeg gelijk. Je leest over een boyband en ziet hoe hun de popmuziek proberen te veroveren, best leuk hoor zo'n kijkje achter de schermen maar naar een tijdje wil je gewoon een echt verhaal en dit zit er helaas niet in... De karakters zijn eigenlijk ook een beetje dubieus en je weet gewoon niet wat je van ze moet denken. Na een tijd begint het gewoon te vervelen om te lezen, het is i...more
Nicki
Not the best of the "Babylon" series. I really enjoyed the air one, beach was so-so, this one is really quite tame.
I didn't like the main character at all. Cringeable cliched, horrible person I didn't enjoy reading about. The boy band was marginally better, would have preferred to read more about them, maybe with more detail to their personal lives and how "fame" was effecting them.
Some interesting tidbits about real life bands and their excesses. That part I found good. Really a true tell all...more
Anna Domańska
A bunch of anecdotes cobbled together into a cutesy book. Very quick and satisfying, feels like a long magazine article.
Good fast read for anyone slightly interested in the pop industry, especially manufactured bands. This would be better as a collection of "guess who don't sue" anecdotes, it is a bit thinly held together at times.
Jonathan
Read this on a plane over a year ago. Despite the promises of insider insights this is just a novel of a year in the life of a band's manager. The band are idiots who have a great time (i.e. sex and drugs etc.) before resenting their manager, believing their own publicity etc. etc. An easy read, I had forgotten I had read it.
Gary Firkin
I got half way through and all the name dropping and repeated wording just killed it for me. Its fun to start with but sort of teeters off. I got halfway through, whereas as air Babylon I got most of the way through. I like a funny book too but just not this one. . Same style same Author.
Carlito
Pathetic. The plot is only used so the author could fill in with the bits and pieces of what famous people are like sometimes or how do they behave. Nothing that you didn't already know or couldn't assume just by reading daily newspapers or news sites.

k.
Louise
I was really looking forward to this book, but I was a little disopointed by it. It was just full of lots of pop star "cliches" and the band were horrible. I did learn a few things, however it isn't the best book I have ever read.
Monica
An interesting fictionalized look inside the world of the music industry. If this doesn't make people have second thoughts about becoming a musician, they have nerves of steel.
madsenmel
Not as good as Hotel Babylon, and if you're not up on your British pop stars and slang, then some of this book won't make any sense...
Christine Harris

Couldn't finish as felt it was so awful - not up to the same standard as the other titles in the Babylon series!
sharon
totally trashy but kind of fun. would have been more fun if i knew anything about various british boy bands. which i do not.
Iman Hasanbegovic
The story is not so interesting, but the facts are.
Nadia Yustina
this could be your reference on how to manage a boyband
Oddmonster
Man, I have *got* to stop reading these books.
Varuna
Delicious! Loved all the anecdotes..
Iris
Oct 16, 2012 Iris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dutch
I loved these series!
Niesten Tanja
Niesten Tanja marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Beth Dean
Beth Dean marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Izuminka
Izuminka marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ila
Ila marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Agata
Agata marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014