Start by marking “I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein” as Want to Read:
I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein

I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein

The award-nominated stories in this collection will bring memories of the future flooding back. Two new stories and all-new afterwords enliven the past with a touch of the present and that which is yet to come. You don't need a collection of antique spaceships or a carefully calibrated time machine to share the memories of the final Holocaust survivor. You don't have to ju ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Apex Publications

To ask other readers questions about I Remember the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember the Future

Leah
Nov 09, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing
This collection of entertaining, thought-provoking, and accessible science fiction stories should captivate any fan of the genre. “I Remember the Future” gathers some of Michael Burstein’s best stories (most of which were nominated for the Nebula and/or Hugo awards) along with a few new ones. My personal favorites are Kaddish for the Last Survivor, TeleAbsence, and Sanctuary, but I expect any one of these stories will be someone’s favorite.

The complete list of stories:

Kaddish for the Last Surviv
Seth Heasley
Sep 18, 2016 Seth Heasley rated it really liked it
Finally got around to wrapping up the few stories in this collection I hadn't already read. (On the way back from a work trip in Italy; great place for an anthology.)

As with any collection of short stories, there are some ups and downs here, but overall it's an absolutely tremendous collection of terrific stories.

Some of my favorites:

"Kaddish for the Last Survivor" - A very personal story, obviously, given the author's Jewish faith and heritage. It's hard to conceptualize that the world could e
Daniel
Sep 20, 2008 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Michael Burstein is sometimes pigeonholed as an "old-fashioned" SF writer. Those who wish to do so will certainly find the proof they want in this, his first collection of short stories. Yet it also misses the point. Burstein has the same transparent style we associate with Isaac Asimov, but that doesn't mean the writing is artless nor that the content isn't right up-to-date.

In fact his stories might well have shocked an editor like John Campbell. Characters who are Orthodox Jews or poor black
Ron
Nov 15, 2014 Ron rated it it was ok
I gave up. TeleAbsence was a decent story--though I cant' imagine it winning all those awards--but Telepresence was awful. Data dumps, "As you know, Bob" dialogue, stupid smart people.

Another short story collection confirms my opinion that they are designed to sell the unsellable.
Nicole Fuschetti
I Remember the Future by Michael A. Burstein features fifteen short stories. My opinion of this book as a whole on this collection is mixed. There were definitely stories that stood out and some that really just left me disappointed. I found the science fiction element to many of these stories lacking or so minor that I honestly couldn’t really consider that it was science fiction at all.

Kaddish for the Last Story- The book opens with a story about a young woman visiting her grandfather, the wo
Dave Creek
Apr 13, 2016 Dave Creek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael A. Burstein tells us in the introduction to I REMEMBER THE FUTURE that Isaac Asimov influenced him more than any other writer. That influence is clear in this collection of his award-nominated stories -- his prose is straightforward and clear, and he's a natural storyteller.

What Burstein does consistently that Asimov did only intermittently is have a deep emotional content to his stories.

Perhaps the best-known story here is "Kaddish for the Last Survivor," a story from the November 2000
Nicole
Aug 13, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Filled with fantastic science fiction "I Remember the Future" is a magnificent collection. These stories are timeless. Burstein's writing is reminiscent of Asimov and Bradbury. The title story was perfection. Broken Symmetry, Absent Friends, Reality Check, and Empty Spaces are all interconnected, science heavy, and heart wrenching tales. I was enamored by this group of stories. Spaceships is probably my favorite of the stand alone stories for its interesting take on the future of humanity. I lov ...more
Vincent Rivellese
Feb 05, 2014 Vincent Rivellese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I went to college with the author and did not know him well, but well enough to be on the lookout for his short stories in Analog/Asimov (I forget which, or maybe it was both) -- so I was reading them as they came, and was thrilled to see them available in an anthology which I promptly got for my Kindle. Another comment mentioned that he writes what he knows: NYC, Boston, Judaism, and of course, physics. But those are just the dressing to his creative ideas for the stories, which to me just read ...more
Allan Dyen-Shapiro
Jan 28, 2012 Allan Dyen-Shapiro rated it it was amazing
This guy is brilliant at the adage of write what you know. A New York City public school teacher, a Ph.D. physicist, an Orthodox Jew. Stories generally deal either with education, physics hard sci fi, or religion. My favorite was his first published story--Teleabsence. Part exploration, part indictment of educational technology, part a very touching story of a teacher's attempt to help an underprivileged kid and the affect it had on his life.

Get this.
Jason Ashlock
Feb 10, 2009 Jason Ashlock rated it liked it
Gift from Jamie. Signed advanced copy with a dedication to Sadie!! "December 2008 For Jason - A pre-orderded hardcover! Here's hoping we can make little Sadie a new member of the SF community someday! Best wishes, Michael A. Burstein." My favorite stories from this collection was the Broken Symetry series, Paying it forward and Time Ablaze.Michael makes it seem easy, like anybody could write this stuff.
Rachel
I bought this book because there was a Kindle deal on it, and because I know the author. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed most if not all of these stories, and I especially liked how Burstein returns to the same worlds again and again. I also appreciated the presence of Jewish characters at various religious levels, since I tend to not forget just how rare that is until I actually encounter them.
Take Me To Your Reader
We were incredibly honored to be joined by Michael A. Burstein to discuss his short story and the recent adaptation of it.
kvon
Jun 22, 2009 kvon rated it liked it
Short stories, mostly award nominated. Lots of physics but good characters.
Paul Childs
Feb 28, 2016 Paul Childs rated it it was ok
Meh. Some interesting ideas, but not really enough to sustain a book. And 'Abapater' as the name of an alien religious leader is just cheesy.
Ron
Jan 29, 2015 Ron marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
Failed the hundred pages test. I just couldn't force myself on when there are so many other books unread.
Barry Wilensky
Barry Wilensky rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Barondestructo
Barondestructo rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2009
Roland
Roland rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
bluetyson
bluetyson rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Adrian
Adrian rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Dave Newton
Dave Newton rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Ashley Penney
Ashley Penney rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2017
Jason Sizemore
Jason Sizemore rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2011
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Daniel A.
Daniel A. rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Bill Hall
Bill Hall rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2008