Start by marking “I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein” as Want to Read:
I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein

I Remember the Future: The Award-Nominated Stories of Michael A. Burstein

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The award-nominated stories in this collection will bring memories of the future flooding back. Two new stories and all-new afterwords enliven the past with a touch of the present and that which is yet to come. You don't need a collection of antique spaceships or a carefully calibrated time machine to share the memories of the final Holocaust survivor. You don't have to ju ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Apex Publications

To ask other readers questions about I Remember the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember the Future

Leah
This collection of entertaining, thought-provoking, and accessible science fiction stories should captivate any fan of the genre. “I Remember the Future” gathers some of Michael Burstein’s best stories (most of which were nominated for the Nebula and/or Hugo awards) along with a few new ones. My personal favorites are Kaddish for the Last Survivor, TeleAbsence, and Sanctuary, but I expect any one of these stories will be someone’s favorite.

The complete list of stories:

Kaddish for the Last Surviv
Daniel
Michael Burstein is sometimes pigeonholed as an "old-fashioned" SF writer. Those who wish to do so will certainly find the proof they want in this, his first collection of short stories. Yet it also misses the point. Burstein has the same transparent style we associate with Isaac Asimov, but that doesn't mean the writing is artless nor that the content isn't right up-to-date.

In fact his stories might well have shocked an editor like John Campbell. Characters who are Orthodox Jews or poor black
Ron
I gave up. TeleAbsence was a decent story--though I cant' imagine it winning all those awards--but Telepresence was awful. Data dumps, "As you know, Bob" dialogue, stupid smart people.

Another short story collection confirms my opinion that they are designed to sell the unsellable.
Vincent Rivellese
I went to college with the author and did not know him well, but well enough to be on the lookout for his short stories in Analog/Asimov (I forget which, or maybe it was both) -- so I was reading them as they came, and was thrilled to see them available in an anthology which I promptly got for my Kindle. Another comment mentioned that he writes what he knows: NYC, Boston, Judaism, and of course, physics. But those are just the dressing to his creative ideas for the stories, which to me just read ...more
Nicole
Filled with fantastic science fiction "I Remember the Future" is a magnificent collection. These stories are timeless. Burstein's writing is reminiscent of Asimov and Bradbury. The title story was perfection. Broken Symmetry, Absent Friends, Reality Check, and Empty Spaces are all interconnected, science heavy, and heart wrenching tales. I was enamored by this group of stories. Spaceships is probably my favorite of the stand alone stories for its interesting take on the future of humanity. I lov ...more
Allan Dyen-shapiro
This guy is brilliant at the adage of write what you know. A New York City public school teacher, a Ph.D. physicist, an Orthodox Jew. Stories generally deal either with education, physics hard sci fi, or religion. My favorite was his first published story--Teleabsence. Part exploration, part indictment of educational technology, part a very touching story of a teacher's attempt to help an underprivileged kid and the affect it had on his life.

Get this.
Jason Ashlock
Gift from Jamie. Signed advanced copy with a dedication to Sadie!! "December 2008 For Jason - A pre-orderded hardcover! Here's hoping we can make little Sadie a new member of the SF community someday! Best wishes, Michael A. Burstein." My favorite stories from this collection was the Broken Symetry series, Paying it forward and Time Ablaze.Michael makes it seem easy, like anybody could write this stuff.
kvon
Short stories, mostly award nominated. Lots of physics but good characters.
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Antipodes
Antipodes is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Nelson
Nelson added it
Dec 31, 2014
Akechjcgmail.com
Akechjcgmail.com marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Lise
Lise added it
Sep 24, 2014
Jacob Hauge
Jacob Hauge marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Steve Wild
Steve Wild marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Aaron Felton
Aaron Felton marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Janis Ian
Janis Ian marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Paying it Forward Kaddish for the Last Survivor Cosmic Corkscrew World Jumping Spaceships