Start by marking “Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  515 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
From beloved author/illustrator Byron Barton comes this classic picture book about all the different kinds of dinosaurs that come in all different shapes and sizes.

With a masterful use of color, shape and composition, Barton brings to life a unique and endearing vision of what the world may have looked like once upon a time when these beasts still roamed the earth.

Supports
Published April 30th 1993 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs

Danger
Sep 06, 2015 Danger rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me everything I need to know about dinosaurs. For example: some dinosaurs are very tall.
Ashley
Opening line/sentence:
A long time ago
There were dinosaurs.
Brief Book Summary:
The book talks about all of the different types of dinosaurs there were. The dinosaurs are described based on the way they looked or the way they acted.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Kirkus Reviews May 15, 1989 Using an extremely simple text, the author of several informational books for the v
Reginald Crevette
Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs...I wish you would have had a better storyline.

First of all, I think it is a useful introduction to dinosaurs. All children should know about these intensely fascinating creatures. I must note, however, that this book is strictly for VERY young kids, and it is mostly composed of simple dinosaur facts--that they sleep and some eat leaves, etc.

The dinosaur vocabulary was helpful, but I wish it would have been less nonfiction and more of a playful story. Sure, the dinosaurs a
Britta Krueger
This informational text is directed at our K-2 learning groups. It's at a reading level of 1.6. This book teachers our readers that a long time ago there were dinosaurs of all different sizes and shapes. Some had spikes, horns, long necks and long tails. This text presentation offered imaginatively a great use of color, shape and composition. This book is versatile as a read-aloud or can be used for different content areas in the classroom. The word choice is simple and sentences flow throughout ...more
David
Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs by Byron Barton is a simple but satisfying preschool or K level look at dinosaurs. Barton's story tells us that a long time ago there were lots of dinosaurs, with different characteristics which are told and shown.

The text is simple and concise. Characteristics such as horns, spikes, clubs, plates, sails, bony heads, sharp teeth & claws, long necks & tails, and different sizes are all mentioned. Some dinosaurs are also described as fierce, scared, hungry, tired and s
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/13/11 -

This is a very, very simply books appropriate for preschoolers or younger. Julia took this out from her Kindergarten library after asking the librarian for a book on dinosaurs.
The colors are big and bright and will appeal to kids. For the average kid Julia's age, if they've been read to a lot and have an intense interest in everything dinosaur-related, this is more of a filler book than anything else. There's nothing to actually learn for a child like that.
Julia an
Vivian
Feb 18, 2016 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is perfect for sharing with very young children. Bright colors, very little text, lots of adjectives, and satisfactorily informative.

Both our library story time performers had a copy to hold up to the group while taking turns reading every other page.

The children enjoyed identifying the dinosaurs and naming the colors
Karen Barton
Apr 06, 2016 Karen Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The illustrations are quite plain, but the writing is really great for beginning readers! My children who are learning sight words were able to read this book by themselves after I read it to them about three times. It's a really good book to reinforce simple sight words.
Shanna Gonzalez
Sep 16, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
This is a great little bit of educational entertainment for toddlers, introducing dinosaurs of all shapes, sizes, and characteristics. It is illustrated in primary colors and simple shapes, looking almost like something a child might craft themselves, and Barton's text is well-crafted and easy to follow. The final page includes silhouettes of different kinds of dinosaurs with their names.

One good quality about this book is that it doesn't include the phrase "millions of years ago," taking sides
Elle Markov
Nov 24, 2015 Elle Markov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a nice book to get little kids acquainted with dinosaurs.

Children will love this one, although, be prepared for a million questions about "can a T-Rex beat that dinosaur".

Rating 4 out of 5
Read@Book
Jill
Mar 25, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Not my favorite dinosaur book, but my kids enjoyed it. However it would be a great introduction to dinosaurs for kids who are interested.
Karen
Jan 24, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cute, but simple. So, although my son could read it on his own, he wasn't really all that interested.
Risa
Jul 23, 2012 Risa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept
This is really an enjoyable book to share with young children. Children have always been facinated by dinasaurs and in this book you'll introduce them to many new friends. The illistrations are colorful and vivid and keep the children's interest to the very last prehistoric critter.

Extensions:

The children may be provided modeling clay, and they may go to the library and look for information about dinasaurs that they may share with the rest of the class."
They will enjoy sharing the many new words
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs is a fantastic book for beginners. Barton highlights dinosaur characteristics instead of sharing dinosaur names with their differences. If readers are worried about correct pronunciation, there are no long words in this story. The opening and closing splash pages include dinosaurs with their names (with pronunciation help) for those interested in names. The illustrations are big and bold, so they can easily be shared in a group setting.

Theme: Dinosaurs
Additional themes: char
Jen Nicol
Apr 23, 2015 Jen Nicol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-picks
Dinosaurs with eyebrows? Count me in.
Vicki
Apr 17, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, toddler
I'm always amazed at how early kids start to be interested in dinosaurs -- toddlers want to see dinosaurs, too, and this is a perfect and gentle introduction to them. There's no plot, really, just concise and descriptive text about what the dinosaurs are doing. I love watching the hush come over a pack of toddlers when you bring this one out. (I also love letting my voice get quiet when you come across the soothing line of "And very tired and very, very sleepy dinosaurs".)
Christina Monroe
This book would be good to have in a classroom for independent learning/exploration. It gives a brief history lesson on dinosaurs and how to pronounce the names.
Toyin Dabiri
Children are able to know that there are different types of dinosaurs and they come in different sizes and shapes. This book is engaging because it has colorful pictures and background. Children are now able to know the different names of dinosaurs like diplodocus, ankylosaurus, tyrannosaurus rex, and so on.

Learning extension: Teacher makes a dinosaur with a cardboard paper and she shows it to the children.
babyhippoface
This is a basic and brief introduction to dinosaurs for very young readers: big dinosaurs, small dinosaurs, dinosaurs with long, long necks, and dinosaurs with long, sharp claws and long, sharp teeth. The illustrations are as simple as the text, with large areas of vivid color and little delineation. The edition I read was not a board book, but it seems this would be a perfect board book for toddlers.
Gordon Pennington
Barton’s book shows what the world might have been like when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. The illustrations are wonderful. Many different types of dinosaurs and discussed and illustrated. This book could be used in my classroom to teach dinosaurs to my students. I can use this book to introduce the topic of life on Earth before humans.
jacky
I just had a hell of a time finding this book. It wasn't listed on BN under dinosaurs. Anyway, it was read at story time today. I liked all the colors. I also like how it went over all the attributes of dinosaurs. Further than that though, I can't really comment because Natalie had me walking her around while it was being read.
Deb
Jan 09, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barton uses bright purple, orange, and green to illustrate the dinosaurs in this super introduction to the subject. The story is only descriptive of physical characteristics so it is accessible to toddlers. There is a glossary at end for the names of dinosaurs included in the story for kids ready to learn the big words.
Julie Slayton
This is a great book for Kindergarten. This book is about dinosaurs and how they all have different characteristics. I would use this with students as informational texts for younger students about dinosaurs or when I am teaching about how things have different characteristics.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
a great intro for toddlers to the types of dinos that roamed a long time ago. Simplistic classic barton artwork makes it easy to point out the dinos' characteristics.

charlie read this @ bedtime to night and was enthralled.
Melissa
This book contained much more information about than it appears it would based on the illustrations, chock full of dino facts and questions and my son really enjoyed it. Its not just a cutesy story about colorful dinos.
Camila
Nov 22, 2013 Camila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adjectives
This book is about dinosaurs that lived long ago. The book is simple with great colorful pictures. I'm pretty sure it's geared towards very young child but my second grade teacher used it to talk about adjectives.
Tierney
The simple language and illustrations are a great introduction to dinosaurs for little ones (and the real dinosaur names are in the back for those who want to learn just a little bit more).
Ariel Cummins
Jan 02, 2013 Ariel Cummins rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A super-basic introductory book that introduces the shapes of dinosaurs.

Bright, colorblock illustrations make the text pop.

Definitely best for very young children -- Baby Time, even?
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back