Medium Cool: The Movies of the 1960s

Medium Cool: The Movies of the 1960s

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
With authorit, and wit, Ethan Mordden explores American film and filmmakers in a crucial decade, the 1960s--the decade in which the way Hollywood made moviews and the way audiences perceived them were transformed--showing readers how film reflected, rather than gilded everyday life. 60 photographs.
Published September 19th 1990 by Knopf (first published 1990)

Taylor
Aug 06, 2009 Taylor rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: film
I love Mordden's opinionated writing - although sometimes I completely disagree with him. He does give a very thorough reading of the decade but I think he missed some key movies and his examination of foreign films was a bit spotty. It's a good book about sixties film, especially the early sixties but for later sixties and the emergence of New Cinema I prefer, Pictures at a Revolution: Five Movies and the Birth of the New Hollywood and Easy Riders Raging Bulls: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock 'N' Ro...more
Drew Raley
Maddening. Mordden's prose is brilliant but what he has to say beggars belief. Needs fact checking and a second draft. This feels like it was written on commission by a clever hack. The copy I have has remainder marks all over it. I am not surprised.
Nadia Jasmine
Nadia Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Sjbien
Sjbien added it
Aug 06, 2012
Cat Springer
Cat Springer marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2012
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2011
Julie Elliott
Julie Elliott marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2011
How Long Has This Been Going On? Buddies I've a Feeling We're Not in Kansas Anymore Everybody Loves You Some Men are Lookers