Start by marking “A Picture Book of Sacagawea” as Want to Read:
A Picture Book of Sacagawea

A Picture Book of Sacagawea (Picture Book Biography)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
She joined the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a translator and guide.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published March 1st 2000 by Holiday House (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Picture Book of Sacagawea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Picture Book of Sacagawea

Chris Young
This book about Sacajawea portrays her as a hero while glossing over the fact that she was basically a slave pressed into service by her white husband, who either bought her or won her in a bet after she was kidnapped by another tribe. I'm sure Lewis and Clark could not have done it without her, but I'd be worried about the messages students might take away from this book. Adler writes that "during her seventeen months as part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, she helped assure the success of t ...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
By: David D. Adler
Illustrated By: Dan Brown
Grade Levels: 3-5
Lexile Measure: 800L
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.6
Reviewed By: Aaron Carter

As its name suggests, A Picture Book of Sacagawea is filled with illustrations of the young Shoshone woman who was instrumental in the success of the Lewis and Clark expedition; however, there's extensive text describing all facets of her early life, from being captured and turned slave, being sold to the "white man" and joining the expedition (the only female among
Andrea Retana
I would love to use this book to teach students about American Indians. I think this book has great illustration and uses very simple vocabulary. It would help young students to start learning about history. I would recommend this book for 4th and 5th graders .
Mary
This book, though poorly reviewed, provided a simple, richly illustrated intro to Sacagawea for Caoimhe. I edited the attack by the Hidatsa, and C's favorite section was the reunion between Chief Cameahwait and Sacagawea.
Amanda
I liked this history book that was also a biography of the Indian woman whom traveled with Louis and Clark. I thought this book could be used for so many different topics like history and a biography for starters.
Caroline
This book was ok. I was not a fan of the illustrations, but it did provide a simple overview of Sacajawea's life and I might still use this as an aid in a lesson plan.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 49735 EN Nonfiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 5.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Jen
Very informative book about the life of Sacagawea and her significance to the success of Lewis and Clark’s expedition. (Nonfiction)
Sarah Batchelder
The story was okay, but the artwork was horrible.
Ali LAli
It is an adventouos book
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Elise
Elise added it
Nov 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 28, 2014
Taylor
Taylor added it
Jul 30, 2014
Krystal
Krystal marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Adler was born in New York City, New York. He graduated from Queens College in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in economics and education. For the next nine years, he worked as a mathematics teacher for the New York City Board of Education, while taking classes towards a master's degree in marketing, a degree he was awarded by New York University in 1971. In that same year, a question from his then- ...more
More about David A. Adler...
The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1) The Mystery of the Dinosaur Bones (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3) The Mystery of the UFO (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #2) The Mystery of the Television Dog (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #4) The Chocolate Fudge Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #14)