Start by marking “From a Sealed Room: A Novel” as Want to Read:
From a Sealed Room: A Novel

From a Sealed Room: A Novel

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
With this compelling first novel, Rachel Kadish entwines the lives of three women: an adventurous young college student from New York, an emotionally enclosed Israeli housewife, and a fragile Holocaust survivor. It is a powerful exploration of the struggle between safety and suffocation and a reminder of both the power and peril of freedom.
Published October 12th 1998 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about From a Sealed Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From a Sealed Room

Katherine Marple
I bought this book because I loved "Tolstoy Lied" by the same author. In "Tolstoy" the characters were very well developed and I truly cared for each of them. "Tolstoy Lied" was released a year after this one, but I figured "Who changes a lot in one year?" I was very wrong.

"From a Sealed Room" was very slow. The characters were kind of thrown into your face at the beginning and I had a hard time keeping them straight in my mind as I continued on to the second, third chapters. I didn't care for
Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
Well-written, but a little confusing. Although the blurb says the book interweaves three lives, it feels more like she started one story (Tami's) and moved on to Maya's, which I didn't mind too much because Tami's story is boring. It's hard to want to read about an unlikable person. I like the treatment of an abused woman and the difficulty she has getting away from it. I like bits of the Holocaust survivor's story, though sometimes it gets tedious. The book is too long, I think and the ending f ...more
Jamie
Mar 28, 2008 Jamie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Jamie by: Temple Sholom Book Club
I finished this book only because I was hoping SOMETHING monumental would happen in the end to redeem this story. Sorry to say, it never did. This book was pure character study. I was so frustrated by the heroine's stupidity that I found this difficult to read. The one character who could have been interesting and made a great story died before anything could develop. I was very disappointed in this book.
Karen
Beautifully written, though I'm not sure what I learned from this book. The story's been told many times before...and this one is from an American girl who goes to Israel, learns about herself and her family, her relationship, her roots, and so on. Love the perspective but was somewhat confused as to the "downstairs" character. Would love to have seen more of her.
UChicagoLaw
"For anyone who traveled in Israel in the 1990’s, this is a must read. Wholly apart form the interesting characters and well developed story, the author’s prose captures an era, a mood, and a sense that hangs in the Jerusalem air known to all who frequent the city, but that have heretofore defied description." - Lisa Bernstein
Laurie
Deathly, deathly dull. Well-written, but dull.
Jill
This is an Israeli, multigenerational novel.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Dec 21, 2014
Lisa Delson
Lisa Delson marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Jen Maidenberg
Jen Maidenberg marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Vanessa Ehrlich
Vanessa Ehrlich marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Sheryl Pearlstein
Sheryl Pearlstein marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Carly R
Carly R is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Ahufford
Ahufford marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Oct 16, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Sep 05, 2014
Kristin Keyes
Kristin Keyes marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Kate Juntunen
Kate Juntunen marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Samira
Samira marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Mariapia Owens
Mariapia Owens marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I write because it's my way of metabolizing life. To paraphrase Henry James: I don't really know what I think until I see what I say.
That habit of trying to work out what I think of the world, sentence by sentence, has led me to write two novels and one novella, plus a few dozen essays and stories...and for quite a while now I've been at work on a historical novel (more on that soon, I hope).
Hand
More about Rachel Kadish...
Tolstoy Lied: A Love Story I Was Here The New Diaspora: The Changing Landscape of American Jewish Fiction