Start by marking “Varjo sydämessä” as Want to Read:
Varjo sydämessä

Varjo sydämessä

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  25,523 ratings  ·  2,624 reviews
Sydäntä koskettava tarina naisesta, joka elää nuoruuden erehdyksen varjossa

Pohjois-Carolinan kuvernöörin raskaana ollut vaimo kidnapattiin lähes kolmekymmentä vuotta sitten. Nyt hänen mahdollinen murhaajansa on saatu kiinni. Vain Cee Cee Wilkes tietää, että hän on syytön. Mutta Cee Cee katosi kauan sitten…

Eve Elliot on menestyvä terapeutti ja äiti, jolle perhe on kaikki
Published 2008 by WSOY (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Varjo sydämessä, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Varjo sydämessä

Julie (jjmachshev)
What makes a mother? Genes? Childbirth? Love? And once a mother bonds with her child, is there anything that can break that bond? Diane Chamberlain’s novel “The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes” gives us the story of a teenage mother and her child. But there’s a lot more to it than just that and one small review can’t possibly describe the incredible and fascinating twists and turns the story takes.

CeeCee’s mother died when she was just twelve. But she left her daughter a legacy of letters. Each let
Karen
Why? Why do I do it to myself? Why do I, once a book finds its way onto my bookshelf, feel a personal responsibility to usher it safely, chapter-by-chapter, to Read-dom and its ultimate resting place (be that the 'favourites' bookshelf or the charity shop)?

The cover even warned me: "For fans of Jodi Picoult this is a must read". I've had my fill and then some of JP and her creative writing class assignments.

But somehow I'm still labouring under the misapprehension that, if only I could just get
Kelly
Jul 21, 2008 Kelly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Kelly by: People magazine
Wow, I could not put this book down! This book would make a great movie. I can't wait to read others by Diane Chamberlain!
Ellie
Set in the state of North Carolina, The Lost Daughter tells the story of a vulnerable and naive sixteen-year-old orphan, CeeCee Wilkes, whose mother passed away when she was just twelve-years-old. CeeCee never knew who her father was, and after spending the past four years of her life in various foster homes, CeeCee finds herself working as a waitress in order to save money to eventually go to college. Due to her mother's death and her years in foster care, CeeCee is starving for love and affect ...more
Alison
Overall, a really great book. Despite the gumption she often showed as a teenager, with all of her big plans, I really believed that CeeCee was still naieve enough to succumb to Tim's charms.

My one criticism is in the character development of Cory during the last quarter of the novel. CeeCee/Eve was incredibly fleshed-out as a character, but I found Cory a bit lacking. First, the transition of her from a girl too scared to stay in college at Chapel Hill alone to one that cuts off her family com
Britany
What a twisted web of lies that was spun... slowly loosing control, and finally letting it catch up to you...

CeeCee Wilkes met a handsome man while waitressing at a diner. Tim Gleason was 12 years older than her and quickly had CeeCee wrapped around his finger. She was sixteen, and made a decision that would haunt the rest of her life. A scheme to kidnap the Governor's wife goes horribly wrong and CeeCee makes a decision that will impact everyone's future. Twenty years pass, and just when she th
Lisa
I loved this book. It was so hard to put down. If I had not needed sleep, I would have read it in one sitting.
♥ Marlene♥
Cate
The worst sort of crossover novel--the only reason I am glad I read it as an ebook is that some trees were spared. It is to literature what Cheez Whiz in a can is to a triple cream brie. This is not a book for reading; this is a book for avoiding.

That's right, I didn't like it.

What is it that makes this book so painful to read? Is it the utter unbelievability of the plot? The flatness of the characters? The awkward and embarrassing writing and the gratuitous and entirely off-putting "romance?" C
Darby
"Twenty-eight years ago a North Carolina governor's young, pregnant wife was kidnapped. Now her remains have been found and a man charged with her murder. Only one person -- CeeCee Wilkes -- can refute the charges against him. But CeeCee disappeared years ago . . ." (from summary on goodreads.com)

I thought the young naive CeeCee was a believable character. I felt her pain of losing her mother at such a young age. I loved the letters her Mother left her to tell her what to expect from life - givi
Robin
Am I ever so glad I picked up this book, in Kroger and started reading it. I didn't buy it. But I did track it down at the library and check it out. :)

One thing I learned or was reinforced from this book was how family is not just nature. Mothers and fathers are people that raise you, and make you who you grow up to be, the good and the bad. Genetics are a smaller part of who we grow up to be, and possibly more superficial - hair & eye color and such.

I actually got chills while reading this
Jeanne
I have been a fan of Diane Chamberlain's writing since I read the first book when I was living in Alexandria, Virginia. At that time, she had a private psychotherapy practice in Alexandria, and I am always interested in local authors. Chamberlain's books usually involve phobias, problems in personal relationships or some psychological issue, no doubt because of her background in psychotherapy.

This is a heart wrenching story of the consequences of youthful bad choices. The only issue I can take w
Carol
WHEW! 500 pages of non-stop reading enjoyment with lots of suspense to boot! The letters of love and advice from CeeCee's mom throughout the book really added to my reading experience.

I look forward to reading more books by Diane Chamberlain, The Midwife's Confession next.

Janie Johnson
I found this book at our local Good Will and decided to buy it for $2. I picked this up to read as a buddy read not really knowing what to expect from this one. It was one of those cases of what would you do? How can you judge without being in a particular position. I have to say it was definitely a very profound read. It made me really think. I am so glad I picked it up.

In this book we have CeeCee Wilkes who had made a bad choice that would greatly impact so many different lives, including her
Kristen
Hands down one of(if not the) best book I have ever read. A true page turner from start to finish, I never wanted it to end and when it did all I wanted to do was read more. Finally found an author who is as good as Jodi Piccoult. Can't wait to read another one.
leslye
This was my introduction to Diane Chamberlain. I'll be reading more of her books because this one tugged at my heart a little.

The story is about a young mother, Eve Elliot and her daughter Corinne. Eve has been living a life of lies and her daughter is heavily tangled within them. Corinne loves her mother and has lived a mostly normal life until the day she learns the truth. Throughout the book, Eve is forced to relive her past and make the decision whether or not to open up about what actually
Lakjo3
I loved this book! It's the first book that I've read in a long time that I couldn't put down.
The depth of all of the main characters and the effects of the decisions that they made were the things that made this book so good for me. It reinforces the idea that people are generally good, but are sometimes forced into horrible situations where bad decisions are made.
Alena
This book is much more made-for-tv-movie than my usual reading choices, but I had no trouble getting caught up in CeeCee's story. It's fast paced and engaging, even if I don't want to believe any woman (even 16 year-olds) would be gullible enough to fall for the lines that ensnared CeeCee.
Lisa
I loved this book. It was the kind you don't want to put down and when you have to put it down all you can think about is the next time you'll be able to pick it back up!! Loved it!
Kath Middleton
This is my first Diane Chamberlain novel and it tells us the story of CeeCee Wilkes, a sixteen year old girl who lost her mother at the age of twelve. She is needy and eager to love and be loved and makes some bad choices which she has to live with for the rest of her life. Her over-protectiveness makes her first daughter, Cory, into a nervous woman who blames her mother for making her fearful as a child. CeeCee lives a lie for her adult years and eventually her past mistakes catch up with her. ...more
ChapterOne
Can’t put her books down! I was reading on the kindle on my phone last night and my phone ran out of juice and I read the rest of it huddled on the floor in the corner next to my charger :)

Another excellent page turner from DC. Even better than The Midwife’s Confession and Before The Storm. On every book, she comes up with the most bizarre and convoluted plots and I’m telling ya she reels you in hook line and sinker! I’m liking this author more and more with each book as her books are fast becom
☮Karen
I'm really not sure how to rate this. On the one hand, I was taken in with the suspense running concurrent with the plot, and I finished the book in two days. On the other hand I thought the entire premise of the plot was just too far fetched to even imagine ever working. By that I mean the absurd scheme that Tim and his brother were planning, and that the intelligent, mature-at-16 CeeCee had very few second thoughts about going along with. I couldn't get over the ridiculousness of it all, but I ...more
Christina
I could definitely see Jodi Picoult writing a book with the same premise — a mother’s love, a child’s life marked by a crime, and the moral dilemmas that accompany that crime — but Chamberlain is no Picoult and it shows. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes is too nice, too perfect, too neatly wrapped up and packaged in the end.

Overall, the story focuses on the most boring aspect of the whole plot – how CeeCee was conned into the crime and her life with the stolen child — and ignored the most intere
Safae
The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes is a book that will haunt you in every possible way , at least that what it did to me.
Obviously its a book about motherhood , even though when i started reading it i thought about it more like a mystery and a thriller but toward the middle it felt that it was really about a life, and more about the real life CeeCee/Eve had than the secret one she had run from.
the beginning of the book was really great , we saw how CeeCee's love and
obsession with Tim had grown we
Fredsky
The story starts out with a sort of normal set-up, but after not too long the real story begins to surface and then the fun begins. CeeCee Wilkes is a young 16-year-old who lost her mother when she was 12. She's gone through all the foster homes, she's gotten somewhere, she loves her job as a waitress and that cute guy keeps coming in and talking to her every day. And then the darkness takes over.

The plot moves into a story I have a hard time believing. Or, more accurately, I can hardly believe
Cathy Contino
I got this book from the library, an actual physical book. Imagine that, I have not read an actual book in a really long time, preferring ebooks. I read about this one and it did not disappoint me in the least. It was worth the drive to the library to go get it. I picked it up on 9-12 and just finished it at 1:10 am on 9-14. Young Cee Cee was so naive and just 16 when she got involved with a man who was 22 years old. She ended up with another woman's tiny baby and raised it as her own, living wi ...more
Connie
WOW! What a great book to be introduced to Diane Chamberlain. A page turner for me! I am not sure what I was expecting, but this was not it. I took an emotional ride with Cee Cee, aka Eve. I really liked her character and loved Jack.

Who knows what choices we might make as a naive 16 year old, and how would we live with the consequences of that choice? I loved that this was set in NC as well as Charlottesville as both are close to home for me and it was great to feel those settings come alive in
Tania
3.5 stars. This is my first book by Diane Chamberlain and I was pleasantly surprised. It tells the story of a young girl who needs to change her identity, and ends up with a kidnapped daughter, because of some bad decisions made. The story is intriguing with lots of twists and turns. I especially liked the fact that it was told from the viewpoint of the "mother" and the kidnapped daughter. The characters were very well-developed, especially the main character. I will be reading more by this auth ...more
Liz
Aug 19, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Julie!
Recommended to Liz by: Holly - Target Book Clubs
Shelves: finished
Anyone who got sucked into Jodi Piccoult with My Sister's Keeper and then became disappointed with one or more later of her books will find this book a welcome reprieve. The author uses similar moral choice twisters but in a fresh way. Great summer read!
Ginna
One of the best books I have ever read!
  • The Kindness of Strangers
  • Rush Home Road
  • Blackberry Winter
  • Henry's Sisters
  • The Murderer's Daughters
Diane Chamberlain is the USA Today and London Times bestselling author of 23 novels published in more than twenty languages. Diane likes to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and sisters, and friends. Although the thematic focus of her books often revolves around family, love, compassion and forgiveness, her stories usually feature a com ...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...
The Midwife's Confession Necessary Lies The Silent Sister The Good Father Before the Storm (Before the Storm, #1)

“She felt happy these days, yet there was always an undercurrent of sadness just below the surface” 34 likes
“You got dealt some crappy cards. But you're the one who has to decide how to play them.” 16 likes