Start by marking “Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America” as Want to Read:
Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  629 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Ghosts have been the entertaining subject of many works of fiction, but they're even more intriguing (and perhaps even scarier) when they are the focus of real-life hauntings in our own backyard. An employee of the St. James Hotel in New Mexico watches in shock as a fair-haired toddler with a terribly disfigured face disappears into the floor. This is just one of the paran ...more
Published August 7th 2001 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Coast to Coast Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coast to Coast Ghosts

Chelsea
I have a weakness for "true" ghost stories. (One of those annoying little conflicts between mind and heart, I guess - I desperately want ghosts to be real, because how neat would that be?, while at the same time I'm well aware of all the science against it. So I read these books.)

This was interesting, in large part because Rule makes it very clear that she believes, and relates her stories of growing up in a haunted house.
Ionia
Whilst I didn't think this was a terrible book, I was a bit surprised at how openly and plainly the author believed in everything she heard from the very beginning of the book. Being a believer in spirits and such is not an issue that blocked my enjoyment of this book, but usually I see authors of such books come at them from a place of neutrality where they don't tend to incorporate their own beliefs into the book. Leslie Rule made herself very much a part of this book, citing her own experienc ...more
Susan
I have always loved ghost stories and am intrigued by ghost hunters and haunted places. This book was entertaining and interesting. Leslie Rule presented other people's accounts and experiences with hauntings. She also provided historical information, pictures, and lists of haunted places in America. She gave personal connections where possible. Her writing style is easy and laid back.
Leia
Jun 19, 2007 Leia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like ghost stories
Leslie Rule is a pretty good author and a fantastic researcher in regards to the "true" ghost stories she writes about. I only wish this book could have been longer.
Elena
Interesting content, but abrupt writing style takes away the creep factor.
Ariel
Written by Leslie Rule, true crime Queen Ann Rule's daughter, Coast to Coast reads like your friend is into ghost stories and she wants to share a few with you. Leslie has that same warm, folksy style of writing that her mom has. Ann actually provides the intro of the book and they have very similar writing voices. It was a quick read, part history, part ghost story. A lot of the stories were just people recalling different experiences they had. I enjoyed the haunted places the most, especially ...more
Lynn Salerno
Loved this book
Linda Lipko
Fall is my favorite time of the year and in the area where I live people go crazy with Halloween decorations. I love Halloween and in honor of that, I'm pulling books off my shelf that deal with the supernatural. This book listed some fascinating cases of haunted places. I thought the writing was stilted, trite and cliche, but nevertheless, it held my interest.
Kayla Grow
I've Always been interested in the paranormal stories, I think they are interesting... I Don't necessarily believe in it but I like the tales people tell of their experiences. This book was good in the sense of the mystery and history put in the text. I love the added pictures and little boxes too. Overall good book
Kristen Leanna
Garden variety ghost stories. Not a bad book, but nothing great either. I believe that there are many spirits that get trapped in this world and can't move on, and so I did find this book somewhat interesting, since it can pretty much be summed up to this: Places across the U.S. are haunted, people see and feel ghosts in their midst, weird - and sometimes scary - things happen when there are ghosts around. If you've never heard any ghost stories before and you're interested, then this is the boo ...more
Claire
Not sure what I was expecting out of this one. I've heard most of these stories already from watching numerous paranormal investigative shows. Some of these stories that I haven't read yet seemed interesting enough, though lacking something, though what exactly, I couldn't tell you. I've never been anywhere "haunted" and never experienced anything paranormal, but a few "ghostly" photos wouldn't have hurt to have been included. All the photos are of the houses/establishments, which are fine, but ...more
Ashley Marie
Really liked this collection of ghost stories. Goes from coast to coast touching on different ghost stories in different areas.
Cammie
I don't even remember any of the stories from the book.
Nancy
Leslie Rule is a woman after my own heart. She loves ghost stories, having grown up in a haunted house herself, and was lucky enough to be able to search out and write about some great "true" ghost sotries. Love her style of writing and the stories were well researched and had great tales from all over America. Her interviews with people connected with the hauntings were well done. I'm glad that because I love all things ghost and haunting related that I received this book as a gift awhile ago. ...more
Tori
One of the most interesting books i have ever read. I am really interested in ghosts so this was the perfect book for me.Book is kinda inapropriete.More for adults or more mature people.I didnt see the point in the forward by her sister because it wasnt as good as if it was wrote by Leslie herself. I loved how the book was written by herself because they are her actual experiences. Hope you guys enjoyed this book as much as i did.
Katie Pickett
This is another ghost story book, that is better than the campfire tales to scare children. It's not quite what I would call and investigation, but it is a well written documentation of what other people portray as paranormal activity. This book is not scary, and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in this type of content.
Chelsea
The best ghost book I've ever read. It doesn't have any dialog in it at all unless it is between the author and whomever it is that she is talking to. I can't stand it when people who write ghost stories insert tons of dialog. How do they know what was being said? She doesn't do any of that. Awesome! :D
Sabrina
I loved it! I couldn't put it down! The stories are really good and the fact that they're true, I was scared at night. xO It was really interesting though! I recommend it to anyone who wants some good ghost stories! ^.~ So many scenarios, conflicts, sightings, etc; it has so many captivating stories! ^_^
Corrie Archambault
Even with lower expectations I was disappointed. The author made it seem like she had done research on all the stories but many of the stories had no historical facts which, for me, makes the stories scary. With no historical context it is just a bunch of stories about strange noises.
Chad Marvosh
This was a good read, and at first thought it would be creepy to read at night before bed, but hardly the case. I was a interesting read with first-hand point-of-views. I recommend this book for anyone who it into the paranormal. The only issue, I finished, and I wanted more.
Brenna
I didn't think you could screw up a ghost story. Turns out when you add too much of you're own stories, psychic babble and bad writing you definitely can. I love horror and ghost stories but saying this I would not recommend this unless you want a good laugh.
Kailen Torres
Oct 20, 2011 Kailen Torres rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: melissa kromas
Coast To Coast Ghosts is a verry good book. It tells you about how spirits that live in haunted houses,hotels and school, many other places. What i really like about this book is that they are real stories,not fake like most ghosts stories.
Holland 2010
Oct 26, 2010 Holland 2010 is currently reading it
The main idea is Haunted homes are scary. One detail is that the smiths house is haunted by the person who lived there. Another detail is that smiths house they here noises in the house and when they check it out it's gone. BY:MIKAYLA GALLEGOS
TeraD
A rehash of many known ghost stories. What makes Rule's different is that she visits each place, interviews witnesses, and tries to experience these things herself. Not the most prolific writer, but enjoyable just the same.
Chelsea
This book was really fun to read. Although looking back now I shouldn't have been reading it at school. Whenever the bell rang or someone even taped me or moved my desk, I nearly jumped out of my skin.
Amanda
This is a fun book to read, if you are interested in ghost stories. Not totally convencing or anything but enjoyable. Definatly not the best ghost story compilation I've ever read.
Maurean
Some interesting tales; many (most) I'd never heard before...a fun read...I wish only that there had been some more 'local' lore; something I could check out myself on a day-trip...
Haylee
Not a bad light read. Its kinda fun. Some of the insinuations that she makes about some of the stories she tells seem a bit exaggerated to me but all in all not a bad book.
Kristin
Good book and very spooky! Made me scared because i was reading it at night. I thought "if I look up and see a ghost standing at the end of my bed I'll have a heart attack!"
Steph Moyer
I don't have much to say about this aside from it's a really good book filled with random ghost stories. So, if you enjoy that stuff, I recommend checking it out.
  • Historic Haunted America
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places
  • Ghosts: True Encounters with the World Beyond
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • Grave's End: A True Ghost Story
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Haunted Places: The National Directory: Ghostly Abodes, Sacred Sites, UFO Landings, and Other Su pernatural Locations
  • The World's Most Haunted Places: From the Secret Files of Ghostvillage.com
  • Haunted Heartland
  • Haunted: The Incredible True Story of a Canadian Family's Experience Living in a Haunted House
  • Ghost Hunting: True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Haunting Experiences: Encounters with the Otherworldly
  • A History of Ghosts: The True Story of Séances, Mediums, Ghosts, and Ghostbusters
  • Chicago Haunts: Ghostly Lore of the Windy City
  • Haunted Britain and Ireland
  • Graveyard: More Terrifying Than Stephen King - Because It's True!
Leslie Rule is the best-selling author of two suspense novels and four nonfiction books on ghosts. She has also published dozens of articles in national magazines, including a November, 2005 article on ghosts and murder in READER'S DIGEST.

Leslie grew up in a family of writers in a creaky old house on a windy cliff which overlooked Puget Sound. "My mother (author Ann Rule) made it no secret that o
More about Leslie Rule...
Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters Whispers from the Grave Kill Me Again

“the spoons jumped off the rack. And a couple of times I've heard a man call my name when no one else was here” 2 likes