Start by marking “Poets on the Peaks” as Want to Read:
Poets on the Peaks

Poets on the Peaks

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
2002: by John Suiter- Great things are done, when men and mountains meet.
Published April 3rd 2002 by Counterpoint (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Poets on the Peaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poets on the Peaks

Richard
Apr 24, 2012 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
It seemed absolutely appropriate to finish this book on Earth Day. It's a knock-out account of Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen, and Jack Kerouac's times as fire lookouts in the north Cascade range of Washington state - my backyard, albeit about an hour from my back door.

In its own way, Poets on the Peaks is a love story: love of nature and wilderness, brotherly love between the poets and the "community of lookouts," and if love can be applied to their, "craft or sullen art," and immersion in Buddhism
Josh
Feb 23, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
This is a little dry if you're not already interested, but if you ARE interested in Snyder, Whalen & Kerouac (and to a lesser extent Ginsberg), it's great stuff. An in-depth look at a really formative period and experience for all of them -- serving as fire-lookouts in the Cascades. The author does a great job of tracing how the experience plays out in their later work and how it fostered their interest in Zen. Beautiful photos, too.
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2016 Cheryl rated it it was ok
The Beats seem like they were in another country; I don't think we heard about them where I grew up. I know for sure my grandfather lost his mind over the Beatles, and then died not long after, so perhaps he did hear about these guys. However, they were so influential, and this book is more about Gary Snyder and Phillip Whalen than Kerouac and the rabid rejection of capitalism and embrace of bohemia, so overall, it was a fascinating look into the nature experiences that helped inform their art a ...more
Mmars
Mar 08, 2012 Mmars rated it really liked it
I love unique books. And this definitely fits that category. What begins as a book about two guys who spent summers as fire lookouts in the early fifties becomes a study of the intertwining of zen, poetry, and the solitude of nature contrasted with the realities of civilization in the off-season - particularly the political blacklisting of the McCarthy era. I would have liked to see more poetry included and more historic photos of the lookouts and area. However, the story of Gary Snyder and Phil ...more
John
Sep 17, 2009 John rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, gracefully written book covering the early-mid fifties when first Gary Snyder, and then Philip Whalen and Kerouac, took summer jobs as fire lookout in the Cascade mountains to practice Buddhism and hone their writing. The book weaves biographies of the 3 authors back and forth, and the enhanced focus on just a few summers gives you a vivid, condensed sense of the passage of this crucial time. A great chapter on the famous Six Gallery reading in SF that everyone now says launched the b ...more
Christopher  Ryan
Sep 29, 2014 Christopher Ryan rated it it was amazing
I love this book, and now you can relive it by renting one of the cabins for a pretty good price. Someday I hope to retrace the steps of these poets.

Madeline
Sep 04, 2009 Madeline rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like Kerouac, nature fans, fans of Buddhism
This read a little like a magazine profile, which would have been fine if it were a magazine profile - somewhere classy, right, with intellectual pretensions - but it's a book and I want something a little meatier.

My other problems were personal problems I have with the Beat poets, but they do not bear going into. I did like the parts that talked about human interaction with nature a lot. (And also the mostly tangential stuff about the labor movement.)
Bradley
Aug 15, 2012 Bradley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grown-up-books
A really great and inspiring book! The writing and the photos are both beautiful. The unique thing about this book is that it is as much a portrait of the mountains themselves as of the poets. It's also a well researched account of the early days of Snyder and Whalen, their friendship with Kerouac and Ginsberg, and how these mountains played a part in all of their development as writers and as people.

Erin
Jul 10, 2007 Erin rated it it was amazing
An essential spark that helped to ignite my senior thesis at Middlebury College. The photos and writing in this book are beautiful, and will make you wish that you had lived the life of the Beats. This is the nice, not the naughty side of these guys.
Jim Parker
Oct 26, 2012 Jim Parker rated it it was amazing
Tales of Kerouac, Snyder, and Whalen in their role as fire lookouts in watchtowers. Fascinating reading for anyone interested in the Beats.
Gene Curry
Jul 05, 2009 Gene Curry rated it really liked it
A beautiful book about the poets, such as Gary Synder, influenced by their time spent in the Pacific Cascades
Silver
Jun 07, 2009 Silver rated it it was amazing
Great way to see what things were really like for "Japhy"(Gary Snyder) and Jack.
Wayne Stone
May 11, 2009 Wayne Stone rated it really liked it
the growth of poetry on the west coast - berry good!
Matti
Matti marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Fabiola
Fabiola rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
carrieprice78
carrieprice78 rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Daniel Lockhart
Daniel Lockhart rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Alina Pechacek
Alina Pechacek rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Helen Denning
Helen Denning marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Jessa
Jessa rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Ben Shear
Ben Shear marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Bekah
Bekah rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Alan J
Alan J rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Susan Cierebiej
Susan Cierebiej rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Gina Whitlock
Gina Whitlock marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015