Start by marking “The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

The Cry of the Loon: A Samantha Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Samantha can't wait to take Nellie to Piney Point, Grandmary's summer home in the mountains. But the girls arrive to find the lodge plagued with accidents--and Grandmary begins to think about selling. Samantha and Nellie must figure out what's going on before they lose Piney Point forever! Includes an illustrated Looking Back essay about the Adirondacks' grand lodges at th...more
Published March 1st 2009 by American Girl Publishing Inc

To ask other readers questions about The Cry of the Loon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cry of the Loon

I enjoyed this American Girl History Mystery. Samantha is one of my favorite characters and I really enjoyed this story with Nellie and all her sisters. This story was vivid in wildlife imagery too. A perfect addition to the American Girl library.
Ashley
A Samantha Mystery

Samantha can't wait to take Nellie to Piney Point, Grandmary's summer home in the mountains. Samantha is sure Nellie will love the lodge as much as she does. But the girls arrive to find Piney Point plagued with accidents - and Grandmary thinking of selling. Samantha and Nellie have to figure out what's going on before they lose Piney Point forever!

About The Author:
Barbara Steiner started writing stories and poetry when she was eight years old. Her favorite books were mysteries...more
Julie
I had an impulse to read Adirondack stuff. This is one of the few semi-interesting things to turn up in our library catalog.

I've never read an American Girl book before. I can't say I'm too thrilled with it, but it wasn't _bad_ really. And it was interesting to get a look at the Adirondacks of the past, I guess.

Samantha and like.. newly adopted sisters or something.. go visit her grandmother and her new husband at a lake house. And I think it's like the late 1800s or early 1900s. And mysterious...more
Becca Kennedy
A fun and semi-mysterious story that reminds us that rich people in the early 1900s had problems, too. I.e., Losing their ritzy summer home because it's getting a bit stressful.
I'm kidding. It was a fun book, and I know I would have loved it in early elementary school. Samantha was my favorite as a kid, and she is a smart, heroic, and fun character for young girls to read about. I do hope that American Girl soon releases some books that highlight the value racial diversity and encourage young g...more
Janet
Good little mystery for young ones.
Molly
Very similar plot to prior Samantha mystery. Rich property having accidents...what could be happening? Sabotage from someone else who seemed trustworthy! Surprise!
Lauren Zaglifa
Samantha is really excited to be bring her to Piney Point with her Grandmary. She wants to go swimming everyday and stay by the fire at night. Although her hopes are bent a bit when odd "accidents" start happening. Samantha needs to fix the problems and solve the mystery or else her trip is ruined and Piney Point could be sold for good
Marian
I love that the Samantha mysteries frequently include Nellie to the point that it's partly her mystery, too. I just wish she had her own as well. Anyway. Extra love for the Samantha/Grandmary affection and the Admiral is awesome as always.

I didn't figure out who did it [well, I was partly right:] but I did nail the motivation.
Samantha
Aug 04, 2013 Samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My two best friends, Erica Varner, and Kaela Pollack.
Recommended to Samantha by: My great-grandfather gave ot to my for one of Birthdays. I thought it would be a good book because the character was given my own name.
Samantha loves Piney Point. And she wants Nellie to have the same expeirence. However, when the girls get there, its dreary and gloomy. then a seires of incidents start to happen and Grandmary is thinking of selling Piney Point. Can Samantha And Nellie find the sourse of all these incidents before its to late?
Amanda Wheet
This is a nice Samantha mystery that really builds on Samantha's story. We get background for Grandmary, something that had been very sparse in previous stories. Plus, this makes use of Piney Point, which has always been a favorite setting of mine.
Jordanna
Samantha can’t wait too show Nellie around Piney Point. But when they get there every moment is a disaster. Nellie and Samantha must find the thief.
Ri'keisha Potts
just bought this book from a book store. i'm not sure what store
i will find it out later.hope it's a good book
Anna
It was really good but it didn't really have a good mystery. I didn't finish it today. It was a while back!
Maddy
It was really enjoyable to read and it is my second favourite out of all the Samantha mysteries!
Amber
Review by Blake: A really great book! Definitely a mystery.
Charity
Jan 23, 2011 Charity is currently reading it
so far this is the best book i have read in a long time
Emma Kunzelmann
i love amercian girl. i think this was an amazing tale.
Susan
May 08, 2010 Susan added it
another good one!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Aug 10, 2014
Also writes under the name Barbara A. Steiner.
More about Barbara Steiner...
Mystery at Chilkoot Pass (American Girl History Mysteries, #17) The Phantom The Mummy Spring Break Love Match