Start by marking “The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap” as Want to Read:
The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap

The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Each week "The New Yorker" receives more than five hundred submissions from its regular cartoonists, who are all vying for one of the twenty coveted spots in the magazine. So what happens to the 75 percent of cartoons that don't make the cut? Some go back in a drawer, others go up on the refrigerator or into the filing cabinet...but the very best of all the rejects can be ...more
Published October 30th 2007 by Gallery Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Rejection Collection Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rejection Collection Vol. 2

Melki
Mar 23, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
--- The Lone Ranger and Tonto share a very "Brokeback" moment.

--- A woman proudly sports a bumper sticker that reads "My son is hung like a donkey."

--- As two young girls play in the sandbox, one asks the other, "Wanna see me fake an orgasm?"

Yeah...I see why these didn't make the magazine.
Joey Alison Sayers
May 19, 2015 Joey Alison Sayers rated it it was ok
Reading this collection, I started to wonder if I had been magically transported to a Rush concert. So many older white dudes! Thirty-nine contributors (including the editor) and five of them are women. Five. Here's a graph of that:
Dudes: % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % %
Ladies: # # # # #

And boy oh boy is it white. Again, 39 contributors. How many are white? 38. I'm not even going to do a graph for that one.

Is the world of comics artists that homogeneous? Not
Meg
Mar 05, 2008 Meg rated it really liked it
The cartoons are totally inappropriate, raunchy, and mostly very funny. However, the best part of the book are the questionnaires completes by the cartoonists. Definitely a perfect bathroom read.
Andres
Aug 17, 2015 Andres rated it liked it
Much like the first collection, this is a raucous look at the crude, vulgar, tasteless but funny cartoons that were rejected by the New Yorker magazine.

Again each of the artists humorously fills out a questionnaire and contributes 3 - 5 cartoons.

Like the previous collection, the lack of diversity caught my attention. Of the 38 artists only 5 are women and none are a person of color. Again, this might only represent those who were willing to contribute to the collection but it makes me wonder who
Elaine Meszaros
Dec 03, 2014 Elaine Meszaros rated it it was amazing
Billed as "More cartoons you've never seen, and never will see, in The New Yorker " this delightfully vulgar and amusingly awful collection is sure to get laughs out of the crankiest curmudgeon. Interspersed with the various familiar New Yorker -style cartoons are short bio sheets filled out by by the cartoonists. So many wrong, wrong, wrong cartoon. Just try and avert your eyes!
Lee Battersby
Mar 07, 2013 Lee Battersby rated it really liked it
Still funny, but a slightly weaker collection than the first. There's a reliance on sex and toilet humour here that wasn't quite so prevalent in the first collection, and on the whole it comes across as slightly less clever than its predecessor. The questionnaire forms that were a feature of the first book are repeated here, but feel forced and arbitrary, and don't actually reveal anything real about the cartoonists involved, which we did see in Volume One.

Overall, it's still a funny book-- thes
Nora
Apr 02, 2013 Nora rated it it was amazing
I love this series. As a long time, avid New Yorker fan (renewed subscription for over 10 years), I recognized a lot of these cartoonists' work. But it wasn't the rejected cartoons that made this volume so fascinating, it was the little bits of the cartoonists' lives that were revealed in the self-bios and pics. You'd be surprised at how much personality is revealed in someone's fridge! After reading this series, I've now added "go on a date with a New Yorker cartoonist" to my bucket list. Any o ...more
Harvey
Jul 11, 2015 Harvey rated it it was amazing
- "Each week The New Yorker receives more than five hundred submissions from its regular cartoonists, who are all vying for one of the twenty coveted spots in the magazines..."
- "...from the lowbrow and the dirty, to the politically-incorrect and weird, these rejects represent the best of the worst."
- "With appendices that explore the top ten reasons why cartoons are rejected and examine the solitary nature of the job of cartooning..."
- I loved it as much as Volume #1
Mike
Dec 29, 2013 Mike rated it liked it
Volume 2 follows the same structure as Volume 1, but the new questionnaire form makes them dense and tedious so I skipped most of them. I didn't think the cartoons were as funny either, and quite a few I just didn't get. Still, an adequate coffee table or bathroom book.
Sean Kottke
Feb 03, 2012 Sean Kottke rated it really liked it
As funny as the first volume, but it gets one more star for more cartoons, funnier cartoonist profiles, and a hilarious appendix presenting examples of the top ten reasons cartoons get rejected by The New Yorker. It occurs to me that many of the New Yorker rejects would find a perfectly respectable home in Playboy.
Todd Nemet
Oct 08, 2008 Todd Nemet rated it liked it
Rejected cartoons from The New Yorker. Not as funny as Vol. 1, but still funny.

My favorite cartoon out of this batch shows a street hot dog cart with a business man's head sticking out of it. The sign on the side says "Hot Dog Baths $1.00 End Of Day Special!" I don't know why this made me laugh so hard, but it did.

Mum
Mar 04, 2008 Mum rated it really liked it
okay, I usually don't count cartoon books in my reading, but these two volumes had sufficient text in the questionnaires filled out by the cartoonists. A voyeristic look into the minds of cartoonists AUGHHH PUT IT BACK ON!!! An escape from reality and then the realization that one could/could not do better!
Lew Pepper
Jan 10, 2008 Lew Pepper rated it liked it
Shelves:
A holiday gift that I keep close by for those moments when I need a joke because what I'm reading is way too bleak. I don't believe that I could ever say that I've finished this since I keep going back to the same cartoons when I need a lift.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2007 Andrea rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious collection of cartoons that were deemed unsuitable for The New Yorker. Too racy, too politically incorrect, just too wrong. But oh so funny. This will be a great book to revisit whenever I need a good laugh.
Natalie
May 16, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
New Yorker cartoons that are actually funny. This is probably because they are a bit more crude and easier to get. Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough to like most the ones that actually make it into the Magazine.
Clay
Jan 05, 2011 Clay rated it it was amazing
More hilarious cartoons that weren't quite right for the New Yorker, plus clever and interesting background info on the cartoonists (such as photos of what's inside their respective fridges).
Nate
Feb 27, 2016 Nate rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
flipped through this and was not bad
Matt
Jan 31, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
This book and its predecessor make me wish I'd stuck with cartooning... Sadly, I think the best of the rejected cartoons are far better than the ones actually accepted by The New Yorker.
Mike Horne
Jun 12, 2009 Mike Horne rated it really liked it
Not bad New Yorker Cartoons, but cartoons that did not make it to the New Yorker for one reason or another (he talks about it). Roz Chast and others. Good read.
Phayvanh
Jun 21, 2010 Phayvanh rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, art, 2010
A great gifty-book for anyone into New Yorker comics, this collection of their rejects (from their regular contributors) is dark, sexy and weird. And Fun.
Malbadeen
Apr 17, 2008 Malbadeen rated it really liked it
funny enough to make me an obnoxious coffee partner, not so funny that I couldn't get through several pages in a row without laughing.
Anita
Oct 18, 2012 Anita rated it liked it
I thought there'd be more new cartoonists, and/or more cartoons, but this was still entertaining to have nearby when I was sick.
Lizzie
Apr 04, 2013 Lizzie rated it it was ok
Same problem as Volume 1: just not that many funny cartoons. Again, the questionnaires by the cartoonists are the best part.
Keeko
May 25, 2010 Keeko rated it it was ok
Well, they got part of the title right. Interesting idea though. The best parts are the cartoonists notes.
Michelle
Aug 22, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny
Do you like to roll on the bed and laugh? I do. And I did with TRCV2:TCC.
Laure "Voop"
May 11, 2008 Laure "Voop" rated it liked it
The jokes were not nearly as funny as those in volume one.
Mike Peters
Jul 07, 2010 Mike Peters rated it it was amazing
These are the two funniest books of cartoons ever. Period.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it really liked it
My God, this is funny. New Yorker cartoons -- on crack.
Rozanne
Apr 09, 2010 Rozanne rated it it was amazing
Best title ever. Super hilarious to the nth degree.
Ruth
Feb 02, 2008 Ruth rated it really liked it
A bit uneven, but many highly amusing moments.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Uncle John's Presents: The Book of the Dumb
  • People of Walmart: Shop and Awe
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads!
  • Granta 97: Best of Young American Novelists 2
  • How to Ace Calculus: The Streetwise Guide
  • All I Need to Know I Learned from My Cat
  • Mirth of a Nation: The Best Contemporary Humor
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour
  • Homeland Insecurity: The Onion Complete News Archives, Volume 17
  • The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • In Search of Reagan's Brain (A Doonesbury Book)
  • What a Way to Go: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal
  • Cul de Sac: This Exit
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
Matthew Diffee has been contributing cartoons to The New Yorker since 1999. His work has also appeared in Time, The Huffington Post, The Believer and Texas Monthly magazines. He is the editor of three volumes of “The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw and Never Will See in The New Yorker” published by Simon & Schuster and is working on a new book for Scribner called “Hand Drawn Jokes ...more
More about Matthew Diffee...