Start by marking “In This Sign” as Want to Read:
In This Sign

In This Sign

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The highly acclaimed novel of a family whose love and courage enable them to survive in the silent world of the deaf.
Published September 15th 1984 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about In This Sign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In This Sign

The Dry by Rebecca NolenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPeter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes by Jonathan AuxierTall, Tatted and Tempting by Tammy FalknerThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Blind/Deaf/Mute
47th out of 179 books — 160 voters
Train Go Sorry by Leah Hager CohenBurn Down the Ground by Kambri CrewsDeafening by Frances ItaniThe Unheard by Josh SwillerHands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg
Deafness
9th out of 39 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Sep 05, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if interested in good novel about family dynamics, or any interest in the deaf
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, novel
Torn about this book. I Never Promised You A Rose Garden is one of my all time favorite books and was the first book I read by Joanne Greenberg (under the pseudo name of Hannah Green), and I couldn’t help but make comparisons. But this is a great novel. Very interesting and moving. A terrific job is done showing the palpable isolation and loneliness of the deaf couple and also the struggle of their hearing daughter. A wonderful family story. Read it years ago but remember so many details. One pa...more
Rachel Mazique
This is a powerful book that I would love to talk about with others. Right now, I'm contemplating the possible meanings of the last page; how is the one thing that Abel and Janice can do to end poverty "right now, for everyone" (286) something "very much like Sign"? (287)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this book goes over in a class I'll be teaching next Spring. As a third-generation Deaf person from a Deaf family, the plot definitely evokes a lot of emotions and can be difficult to read at ti...more
Jeanann
Working with the Deaf community, it is hard to know how they experience the world. This book truly makes its way inside the lives of a Deaf couple and their family. It can be heartbreaking at times and yet their ability to persevere in the face of the discrimination they encounter daily is inspirational.
Debbi
I know that this book is not well-liked by some deaf people because the deaf parents at the heart of the story are portrayed as "inexperienced, ignorant, and bewildered" in a hearing world. What I absolutely love about this book, though, is how it captures the complicated relationship with their hearing daughter who must become their voice and their representative. She both loves them and is burdened by them. I can't think of many books that have made my heart pound with such deep emotion while...more
Michelle
I was assigned this book as part of a class on sign language, and am so thankful. I think of it often these many years later, as it gives a poignant and realistic view into the world of the deaf.
Sunni
Really loved this in my early 20s...read twice. Not sure how I'd feel now, but probably the same way.
Jenny January

SPOILERS!!!!!

I first read this about 8 years ago when I was taking an ASL class at university. I decided to re-read it and I really failed to see how negative Janice was the first time I read it. She is a constant toxic cloud of negativity that hangs over Abel and their children. Abel tried to remain positive in a world that discriminated against the deaf by suggesting to Janice that they go out and mingle with other deaf people that might have been going through the same thing, and all Janice c...more
Lizzie
This is a very interesting and moving novel about a Deaf couple and their Hearing daughter, Margaret. It starts in the 20s, when Abel and Janet are newly married, out in the world, and have finally escaped the school for the Deaf where they met. They buy a luxury car, then sell it when it's too expensive to run, not understanding that they papers they signed were for a loan. The car dealer sues them and wins, dooming them to 20 years of poverty while they repay the loan.

The book does a fascinati...more
Jill
I read this book at the same time as Of Sound Mind published in 2004, which is also about a deaf family with one hearing child who does the majority of the communication for the family. It was interesting to me how much and also how little things have changed between the time when the two were written.

Greenberg offers insight into how the deaf navigated through society, including work, socializing, and the details of day-to-day life. I loved how the perspectives of all the family members were in...more
Kerith
I started this not knowing if I would like it or continue it, but then it got intriguing. The two deaf characters, Janice and Abel, are hard to like. Their stupidity upset me, and the upsetting upset me because their ignorance was not really their fault. I imagine their school did not do much to prepare them for living "Outside".
Janice was the really hateful one. Abel had his moments but he was so concerned with appearances and being important. Janice could never forgive him for incurring the d...more
Melissa Stump
I had to read this book for sign language class. It is the worst book I have read. It's boring, HIGHLY predictable, confusing changes in point of view, unlikable characters, and an unclear ending. Now I have to go write a paper on it.
Synesthesia
I can't really decide if I liked this book.
Mainly because Janice frustrated me with her snapping a lot.
Then there was how they seemed to be ridiculing Marshall who in my opinion was the coolest character because he was out there doing what he believed in and everyone scoffed at him.
Still, it's interesting in the sense that you get the perspective of the deaf and what folks had to go through back then just too allowed their own language. It was awful how folks looked down on people just for bei...more
Tiffany
Oct 02, 2009 Tiffany rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tiffany by: my mum
Shelves: fiction
Read this book as a younger teenager, and I learned a lot about how deaf people were treated back during the depression. I don't know if a lot has changed in the way a deaf couple with hearing children are treated in the hearing world, having their children be their ears and their words, but this was heartbreaking and also passionate in many ways. I still have my old copy which has seen better days, as its binding has come loose and the pages are split into two halves... If it makes it, I may r...more
This book is about a deaf couple who tries to make there way in a big city. It was one of those stories where you want to shake every single character. I wasn't sure if the author was trying to say that the couple was naive because they were poor country folk or naive because they were deaf, but their ignorance was astounding. Even in their old age, after many decades in the city, they still didn't seem to get it.
I'm not sure why I kept reading it - idle fascination with how many more mistakes t...more
Bobbi
This book describes in great detail the hardships in the life of a deaf couple. Sign language used to be a shameful thing and the couple relied heavily on their children to communicate for them, even so there were many times that they paid the price for not being able to understand. I learned through reading this book how closely memories and language are connected.

A secondary theme of this book was the way the poor lived and were made to work in sweatshops to earn a living.
Lynne
for some reason, I could not find a character in this book that I liked which made it difficult to finish. Of all the characters, I think I liked the father best - but still I found it difficult find any joy in his character. I know the book was written with "a message" -- but even so, I found that at the end, I was feeling very frustrated with the way the message was presented.
Gaile
This is about the struggle of a deaf couple back in the thirties.
It was made into a movie starring Edward Waterstreet.
Time has moved on. Deaf culture is very different today from what it was then. We have come a long way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This book is worth the read as long as you keep in mind that that time is long vanished.
KyneWynn
I read this a few years ago when I was taking ASL classes because I saw the movie based on the book. It depicts the role of a hearing child of a deaf family in the 1930s --- I'm glad to say Deaf Culture and others' perception of deaf people has adapted and changed with the times.
Mindy
I took four semesters of sign language in college. That is where I was introduced to this very powerful book about a Deaf couple living in a Hearing world. It was often heart-breaking, but gives some great insight into Deaf culture!
Jaylia3
A novel by the author of I Never Promise You a Rose Garden about the isolation of being deaf in the early and middle part of the 1900s. How language can both reveal and conceal is one of the themes that runs through the book.
Sarah Strauss
It's good. I've seen the movie. The movie didn't follow too closely to the book. The story line seems VERY realistic for that time period. Some deaf parents ARE dependent on their hearing children to interpret, even today.
Beth
This was a good book that brings you right in to the Deaf culture during the Depression and World War II. Some concepts are easier to understand if you know sign language, but anyone can enjoy this book.
Marci
I read this book as a young adult and it has always stayed with me. I'ld like to get my hands on a copy for my kids. I was riveted while reading this book 20+ years ago!
Audra
I am an ASL major and I wanted to read this book because it deals with a Deaf family. It was an interesting read and a well written book portraying deafness.
Ann
One of the better books I have read for awhile. Greeneberg tells it how it was being a "hearing" in a deaf family. We that hear have alot to learn.
Danielle Byron
Gave me a much better understanding of the growing up with hearing impaired parents / community. Nice recommendation for a book club
Candy
I read this years ago and only read part of it this time, just to remind myself of why I had liked it and remembered it all these years.
Dave
Theme is dated - deaf that can read no longer should be as isolated and unaware as the subjects of this book. Am I right?
Thomas
Heartfelt book about the deaf world and the problems people face. A real eye opener.
Courtney
This will always be one of my most favorites! So touching.
meaning of the last page? 1 3 Nov 12, 2013 01:10PM
  • A Loss for Words: The Story of Deafness in a Family
  • Deaf Like Me
  • A Journey Into the Deaf-World
  • Train Go Sorry: Inside a Deaf World
  • Talking Hands: What Sign Language Reveals about the Mind
  • Of Sound Mind
  • Deaf Child Crossing (Deaf Child Crossing #1)
  • Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture
  • The Unheard: A Memoir of Deafness and Africa
  • The Joy of Signing: The Illustrated Guide for Mastering Sign Language and the Manual Alphabet
  • Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language: Hereditary Deafness on Martha's Vineyard
  • The Tailor's Daughter
  • What the Deaf-Mute Heard
  • For Hearing People Only: Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions About the Deaf Community, Its Culture, and the "Deaf Reality"
  • Literature from the "Axis of Evil": Writing from Iran, Iraq, North Korea, and Other Enemy Nations
  • I Hate Other People's Kids
  • Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human
  • Rapture
Joanne Greenberg, also known as Hannah Green, is a writer whose style lends itself to the mature reader yet simultaneously presents themes suitable for all ages. Greenberg addresses the persistent doubts that plague all of us by relating stories of others in need. Though the scenarios in which her characters find themselves may be unfamiliar to the average reader, the emotions they feel while enme...more
More about Joanne Greenberg...
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden  Of Such Small Differences The Dead of the House Where the Road Goes No Reck'ning Made