Start by marking “The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby” as Want to Read:
The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby

The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby

A retelling of a legendary Edinburgh dog shares the story of the faithful Bobby, a little dog who kept watch over his master's grave for fourteen years and is believed by locals to continue his vigil from beyond the grave.
Published April 1st 1996 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby

Olly Cooper
Oct 15, 2012 Olly Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first came across Greyfriar's Bobby in primary school. I was one of those children that, if given the chance, would choose the same story to read over and over again (I suppose it does improve comprehension of the story!). I therefore came very familiar with the plot in this time.
The story goes that there is an old, homeless man known as 'Auld Jock' who has a dog 'Greyfriar's Bobby'. The two keep each other company and often visit a kitchen which provides Auld Jock with food, the cook also giv
midnightfaerie
Oct 17, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
After reading A Dark, dark tale, I fell in love with it, and hoped I'd find some more "dark" stories in the Ruth Brown collection. This is a dark story, perfect for Halloween. It's unusual and has completely unique aspects to it. Ruth Brown once again has a flavor all her own with magical illustrations that just pull you into their beauty. The story is adorable, the illustrations are so detailed! My 3 yr old twins and 5 yr old both love Ruth Brown. Just an overall fun book that's a great additio ...more
Maria Carmo
Jan 21, 2017 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A lovely book with the unforgettable story of the little dog that lived 14 years at a cemetery, to stay close to his dead friend. With sumptuous illustrations, this is a wonderful book for childen and also for all those who love dogs.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 21 January 2017
Mar 13, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an enchanting little book telling the story of Greyfriars Bobby. The story starts out in modern day, but transports the readers (the children characters) back in time to when Bobby, the little dog was alive. I've been to Edinburgh and to Greyfriars, and the artist really captures the old beauty of the city. The paintings of the people and the dog are wonderful and really capture their expressions.

The story is told simply in an easy to understand way. I felt this was a good book to start
Joy Gerbode
Sep 12, 2014 Joy Gerbode rated it it was amazing
When I was a child, Greyfriar's Bobby was a Disney movie, and the first movie I ever saw in a theater. I recently had the privilege of being in Scotland (Edinborough) where the original story took place, and saw a pub called Greyfriar's Bobby, we saw (from a bit of distance) the cemetery where he is buried, and the area where he lived. At the National Museum, I purchased this book, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it, though my version is a bit shorter and seems to be a children's story and it app ...more
VegasGal
Mar 15, 2012 VegasGal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, read-2012
This is a sweet story recommended for all dog lovers. The illustrations are beautiful. However, I didn't really like the way the story ended, I expected just a little bit more.

Also, just on a side note, I wonder why the author chose to create characters in the beginning that were children and were meeting up with their parents while they were touring Edinburgh. I wouldn't exactly let any child, even two of them, go out on their own in any unknown city. Thought that was kind of strange.
Margaret
Aug 11, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2006, animals
Loved the story - or as they would say in the book, 'Twas the bonniest tale o' a maist michty wee sperity sonsie bittie doggie! The thick Scottish accents made for slow reading for me, despite the help of the glossary in the back. The last chapter moved me to tears. Now I want to see the old movie again!
Robin Raines-Bond
Oct 20, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it really liked it
This is a retelling of an English dog who faithfully serves his master in life and stayed by him grave in death. Sweet pictures and beautiful story.
Lucy
Feb 01, 2007 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A touching story of the amazing relationship of a man and his dog
Jami
Jun 15, 2013 Jami rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book. It is well illustrated and the story is awesome. You gotta love the pic of Bobby looking into the cemetery. I haven't read the full story yet but that is next!
Erin
Sep 09, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming story and beautiful illustrations!
Lyndsey Watson
Dec 16, 2007 Lyndsey Watson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: life-books
great book, I read this when I was little, about 3 times, kids will love the tale o the wee dog.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Might be good for animal story time, might make me cry though.
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2010
Ed Mcgrath
Ed Mcgrath rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2011
Beverly
Beverly rated it it was ok
May 22, 2009
Akitsuha
Akitsuha rated it really liked it
May 27, 2012
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2007
Ff
Ff rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Katrina Anderson
Katrina Anderson rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Emily Duran
Emily Duran rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2014
S.K. Holmesley
S.K. Holmesley rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2012
Phinneas-David
Phinneas-David rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Amy Lafleur
Amy Lafleur rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Stacia
Stacia rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Ruth Brown is the creator of some of Britain's best loved children's books. She has created a great many picture books for Andersen Press and is highly respected as an author and illustrator. She is married to artist Ken Brown and they have two grown-up sons and one grandchild.
More about Ruth Brown...