Greyfriars Bobby

Greyfriars Bobby

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Purchase one of 1st World Library's Classic Books and help support our free internet library of downloadable eBooks. Visit us online at www.1stWorldLibrary.ORG - - When the time-gun boomed from Edinburgh Castle, Bobby gave a startled yelp. He was only a little country dog - the very youngest and smallest and shaggiest of Skye terriers-bred on a heathery slope of the Pentla...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published June 28th 1905)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
61st out of 550 books — 1,196 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonMacbeth by William ShakespeareThe Last Sunset by Bob AtkinsonThe Winter Sea by Susanna KearsleyDragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Books Set in Scotland
36th out of 434 books — 310 voters

More lists with this book...

Bunga Mawar
·Karen·
My reading of Stevenson has reminded me how much I loved this as a child. I was such a sucker for sentimental animal stories: sobbed my heart out at the film version of The Incredible Journey and one of my earliest memories is how the lions at the Zoo did not share out their food in a comradely sort of way and I cried all the way home because one lioness went hungry. Aaaaaaaaw. Molesworth would have called me a wet and a weed, and my older brother called me worse than that. But that's what older...more
Olly Cooper
I first came across Greyfriar's Bobby in primary school. I was one of those children that, if given the chance, would choose the same story to read over and over again (I suppose it does improve comprehension of the story!). I therefore came very familiar with the plot in this time.
The story goes that there is an old, homeless man known as 'Auld Jock' who has a dog 'Greyfriar's Bobby'. The two keep each other company and often visit a kitchen which provides Auld Jock with food, the cook also giv...more
Aldanyh
I'm a (somewhat) experienced reader and a great lover of classics. This book, however, has the distinction of being the most awful book I've ever read. Yes, the #1 Worst.

Long, dull, obscure due to heavy use of the Irish dialect, with a dog so pitiful he's quite pathetic, and overt attempts at seeming profound, Greyfriars Bobby is a pointless, meandering tale of a dog's pointless, meandering life and travels around the cold Irish countryside and inner city wasteland. 'How he pines over 'is master...more
Theresia
Gw membeli bku ini dgn napsu, pertama hrganya murah (karena diskon dan bku lama). Kedua ini kisah nyata dan terakhir yang ga kalah penting ini tentang anjing! Mahkluk hidup paling manis sedunia setelah gw..hehe..
Dan ketika gw membaca bab2 awal gw rada bete, cerita dituliskan dengan deskriptif sih, gw bisa masuk kedalam cerita dan membayangkan sudut2 kota Edinburgh dimasa itu, merasakan pergolakan batin Auld Jack tua yang miskin dan kesepian dan yah gw seperti mengenal Bobby sendiri. Tapi kadang...more
Suzyberry
Read with an open heart and a box of kleenex. This is the most honest portrait of the love and devotion that exists between a human being and his beloved dog. When you have read the book...don't miss the movie. Try and fit a box of kleenex in your purse...you will need it...but oh how both this book and movie will warm your heart and send you home to hug your beloved pet, or remember those that are now gone but so enriched your life with their unconditional love and affection.
This is an enchanting little book telling the story of Greyfriars Bobby. The story starts out in modern day, but transports the readers (the children characters) back in time to when Bobby, the little dog was alive. I've been to Edinburgh and to Greyfriars, and the artist really captures the old beauty of the city. The paintings of the people and the dog are wonderful and really capture their expressions.

The story is told simply in an easy to understand way. I felt this was a good book to start...more
Kathryn Yeo
I love this book! it really is awesome
MisterFweem
"The bonny bit is the bairns' ain doggie, an' the Laird Provost himsel' told 'em he wasna to be neglectet,'" was one mother's plea.

Ah! that was very true. To the grand folk who had come to see him, Bobby was only a nine days' wonder. His story had touched the hearts of all orders of society. For a time strangers would come to see him, and then they would forget all about him or remember him only fitfully. It was to these poor people around the kirkyard, themselves forgotten by the more fortunate...more
Ady Ahmed
Banyak pengorbanan yang dilakukan Bobby demi tuannya itu. Seperti terpaksa menahan rasa lapar karena tidak dapat mencari makan dan terkurung di area pekuburan, hingga mengalami luka-luka setelah menuruni Castle Rock yang terkenal curamnya. Namun Bobby tetaplah Bobby, ia tetap berusaha menunjukkan kesetiaannya dengan kembali ke atas gundukan tanah itu.

Karena sikap sopan, pengorbanan dan kesetiaan Bobby, dalam sekejap ia berhasil meraih simpati setiap orang dari setiap kalangan sosial dan menjadik...more
Gale
“Canine Loyalty in a Scottish Churchyard”

Set in 19th century Edinburgh this classic dog story is not really a children’s book (no juvenile protagonist), but people of all ages can relate to friendship and loyalty, Christian compassion and an innate sense of duty. Based on a true story this book was modified in places by the admiring author—perhaps to give it more youthful or rustic appeal.

A small terrier named Bobby was the devoted working companion of an a elderly shepherd, but when Old Jock...more
Katie
Aug 25, 2010 Katie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Doggy folks
I had a hell of a time with this book in the fourth grade and I didn't like it at all. It was too hard to read, especially some of the dialect. And it was dark and sad and tragic, with the old shepherd dying poor, and lonely, and probably unnecessarily (I wouldn't have been a big fan of Dickens back then), and the little dog clinging heartbroken to his grave.

The book sat on my shelf, glowering at me like a vulture, unread, jealous, for years, until I gave it away after college. I gave it anothe...more
Maxine
Off to Edinburgh for a few days stay in the Old Town, and with a five hour train journey from London to fill, what else could I read but Greyfriars Bobby?

I've read it before and had fond memories, so I downloaded it onto my new Kindle (thought I would hate the Kindle, but I LOVE it so far) and devoured it on the train, unashamedly shedding a few tears at the end.

Then, as soon as I dropped my bags off at my hotel, I headed out to explore all the places I'd just finished reading about in the Old...more
Philippa Sha

I enjoyed this novel, although there was a lot of old Scottish language which I didn't understand, especially in dialect. It tells the classic tale of Bobby, a Scottish Skye Terrier, and the adventures he has with his much-loved owners.
After Bobby's master, Auld Jock, dies, the lively terrier lies on his grave every day. He soon gets a new home with a kind family. Bobby becomes well-known for his loyalty to his late master, and is loved much by the children and adults in the neighbourhood.
I...more
Hobby
I'm not dog's lover, but reading this book just make me cry and wanting to hugh those dogs, especially this dog. Greyfriars Bobby was based on true story, about the love and loyalty of this ordinary dog, and his fight again all and everyone who had stand between him and the grave of his-master, makes this dog became known by everyone on the island of Scotland ... from a little boy and girl, from the grave-keepers until the cafe owner, from the simple peasant until the Queen of Scotland, everyone...more
Lisa
May 11, 2011 Lisa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Shelves: dogs, true-story
I need to give this book 2 and a half stars.. because i'm between 'liked it' and 'it was okay' for this book.

I loved, loved the story and loved how Bobby spent years just being faithful to his owner, and Bobby's story with the people around him. i loved how it started and how it ended too. Although i do love detailed descriptions as how the author wrote them, i really had such a hard time reading the book. it was too slow for my taste, that often reading it becomes boring and sometimes even tiri...more
Anita
I tried, I really tried. But I just coudn't take any more deciphering of sentences such as, "Sic a fulish bairn! Wi' fower wa's arooned 'im, an' a roof to 'is heid, an' a floor to 'is fut, hoo could a sma' dog mak' a way oot?" after dozens and dozens of sentences in this vein I just couldn't be bothered trying to figure them out any more. I found myself glossing over them, and having therefore lost the plot (so to speak) I gave up two-thirds through. I know there's a great story in there somewhe...more
Kris Ball
I really wanted to enjoy this book but what really spoilt this book for me was the dialogue set out in a Scottish dialect. It made some parts of the book very difficult to read but I stuck with it. Despite the difficulties in reading the dialogue, I really enjoyed the story of a little terrier loyal to sleeping on his master's grave each night. It was a really uplifting story that bought a small community together to look after the best interests of a "stray" dog.

Recommended but expect some diff...more
VegasGal
This is a sweet story recommended for all dog lovers. The illustrations are beautiful. However, I didn't really like the way the story ended, I expected just a little bit more.

Also, just on a side note, I wonder why the author chose to create characters in the beginning that were children and were meeting up with their parents while they were touring Edinburgh. I wouldn't exactly let any child, even two of them, go out on their own in any unknown city. Thought that was kind of strange.
ML
Difficult to read due to the Scottish dialect but a wonderful dog story. I saw the dog monument when I visited Endinburgh.
Elizabeth
Might be good for animal story time, might make me cry though.
Djrmel
Far more romantic and entertaining than the true story of the little dog that would not leave his master's side, it's no wonder this is the version that people believe. More than a tale of a love that lasted beyond life, this is also a darn good example of a writer writing successfully in dialect. Read it for the "awwww" factor and learn a few knew words of a very beautiful language.
Harun Harahap
Manusia biasanya hanya berkunjung ke makam orang terdekatnya hanya beberapa kali dalam setahun atau bahkan tidak pernah sama sekali. Beda dengan Bobby, dia tak bisa pisah dengan makam sang majikannya. Baginya majikannya adalah segalanya, tak ada lagi tempat yang nyaman baginya selain makam majikannya.

Review bersambung entah kapan..
Jill
I have visited Scotland and have seen the monument in person. Reading this story made me want to go back so I could pay more attention and leave something to show my respect for this wonderful dog. I didn't mind the dialect in the book. I could just hear the caharacters peaking it that way. It added to the story for me I think.
Wendy Dingwall
I read this partly for research of Edinburgh history for my next mystery novel, but fell in love with the story, and the writing. I was sorry to see it end. All humans can learn a lesson or two from this hardy, loyal, determined skye terrier. I am glad they kept his legacy and erected a statue in his honor.
Juliana Graham
I really wanted to like this book but I didn't. It was a lovely story, but I found the dialect just very distracting and the style quite ponderous. It's a shame, because I've been meaning to read this book for ages! (Read around August 2008 but the cover disappeared so had to re-upload...!)
Jami
I loved Bobby's story but the Scottish dialogue was difficult to follow. I didn't like having to flip to the glossary or take time from the story to figure what they were saying. I gave it a four star rating because Bobby is awesome! I somehow missed the book and the Disney movie as a child.
krym
Dogs are man's best friend and sure did Bobby prove the cliche! I hardly remember the book except for the scenes that Bobby stayed frozen in his master's grave and he was left in another home but run across country to find his master. How I wish there is a person as loyal as Bobby!
Jade-lauren Kent
I'm from the very town of Edinburgh where this legend doggie came from, I grew up to the story, read the novels and adaptions and seen the iconic movies. It's a heart warming tale I'll never forget and will always cherish in my heart. I look forward to reading this to my children one day
Abigail
Such a beautiful sweet sad story. I cried while reading it. I'm not really a dog person but Bobby has won me over completely with his devotion to his master. The best (or worse) part was how he climbed down the cliff to get back to Auld Jock's grave. Poor Bobby!
  • Pretzel
  • Tarra & Bella: The Elephant and Dog Who Became Best Friends
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
  • Nop's Trials
  • Tarka the Otter
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • The Labrador Pact
  • The Leanin' Dog
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • Dua Belas Pasang Mata (Twentyfour Eyes)
  • Letters From Wolfie
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • The Starlight Barking (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #2)
  • Humphrey Was Here: A Dog Owner's Story of Love, Loss, and Letting Go: 1
  • Sheep
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
  • The Best Short Stories
  • Southern Mail
The Ghost of Greyfriar's Bobby Johnny Appleseed: The Romance of the Sower The Story of Chicago and National Development 1534-1912 Johnny Appleseed the Romance of the Sower Johnny Appleseed; The Romance of the Sower