Start by marking “Hot Flashes” as Want to Read:
Hot Flashes

Hot Flashes

On the occasion of Sukie's death, Diana, Elaine, Joanne, and other members of society's new elite gather to mourn, to relive their past together, and to confront their middle-age desires
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published August 1st 1988 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Flashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Flashes

Susan Swiderski
This book was written nearly thirty years ago, and although today's modern women may not see reflections of themselves within its pages, they will surely appreciate and recognize the validity of the fully-developed and realistic characters they do find there. These women are DEBs, Depression Era Babies. They're well-read, well-educated activists who were involved in many social and political causes, but deep down, they suffer from feelings of inadequacy. Their pasts are littered with a long list ...more
Adele Goetz
Jun 07, 2012 Adele Goetz rated it it was ok
Some great insights, some clever descriptions, but so very dated. It was like watching an episode of "Donahue".
Maty
Mar 27, 2007 Maty rated it it was ok

What was I thinking?
Donna Davis
“Hot flashes are rolls of unreasonable, unseasonable heat that create a rush—a flush that floods the face from neck to hairline. A hot flash is itchy, prickly and provocative—like a sudden spike of fever that produces a mean and cranky irritability.”

Raskin’s novel about a group of middle-aged women that come together to mourn and bury a dear friend was a New York Times best-seller many years ago, hailed as a “landmark women’s novel” at the time it was first released. I was invited to read and re
Stuart Aken
Jul 24, 2016 Stuart Aken rated it liked it
A literary novel, seeking to reveal the internal lives of a group of friends who grew up just after WWII, Barbara Raskin’s ‘Hot Flashes’ concentrates on menopausal feminist Jewish women in the USA. As such, it lacked some appeal for me. At the time of its initial publication, it was a NYT bestseller. But time hasn’t been so kind to this book as it has to other classic feminist novels. I think that’s due to its grounding in a group of women of privilege who appear to believe they are victims. The ...more
Mystica
Jun 28, 2016 Mystica rated it really liked it
I was reminiscing myself whilst reading the book as I felt I could empathize with the whole group of middle aged ladies! Hip and happening in the 1950s, they are now in the 1980s, and still quite happening!!! Not willing to give up and behave gracefully, they still would like to scandalize, to stir up the pot. Quite an interesting bunch. Varied interests, varying careers and still good to go.

Sukie's death has brought them together and since it was sudden (and unexpected) the four are trying to o
Wendy Burton
Oct 23, 2016 Wendy Burton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To anyone who has lost a good friend.....

I enjoyed this book ... it was well written and had well defined characters. If you have ever lost a long time friend you will be able to relate to the narrator of this novel.
Pence Revington
Nov 02, 2013 Pence Revington rated it liked it
It was loaned by a friend. I was a skeptic but the writing was good if a bit formulaic (sp). Couldn't figure the math on the age of these ladies. Born in 32? how could they be that hip and hide it so well? Math error?
Kathy
Apr 30, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is a female Big Chill. The best part of the book is the day of Sukie's funeral. However, that may have been due to the background and build up of the rest of the book. The way her diversity of friends came together to honor her shows true love, should I be that lucky.
Meghan
Mar 20, 2015 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc-fiction
Read when I was in my early 20's. No idea why I enjoyed it at the time (I certainly didn't have much in common with the characters!) but I did.

Might look it back up.. now that I'm middle aged myself ;)
Sandra
May 09, 2008 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Portrayal of four unforgettable women: Sukie, Joanne, Elaine, Diana.As the three friends gather for her funeral, they discover themselves again, and a Sukie they never knew.
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Suwillard
Suwillard rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Pwheeler
Pwheeler rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2010
Kaye
Kaye rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2009
Evelyn Love
Evelyn Love rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Joyce Gray
Joyce Gray rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Felicia
Felicia rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2006
Donna Marquette
Donna Marquette rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2016
Melissa Berrenge
Melissa Berrenge rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2012
Julie Ellis
Julie Ellis rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2015
Beegee
Beegee rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2016
Jolene
Jolene rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Pat Yarbrough
Pat Yarbrough rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2011
Barbara
Barbara rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2016
Sheindal
Sheindal rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015