Start by marking “Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog” as Want to Read:
Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog

Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Peter is an ordinary boy . . . at first. Then one day he decides to become a dog. He loves to play fetch. He can bark like no one's business. And just look at him chase that mailman!

But while Peter is good at being a dog, he is not always a good dog. What's a puppy to do when his mother and father want their human son back? Luckily, Peter comes up with a solution that shou
Published May 26th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published March 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love That Puppy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love That Puppy!

The Library Lady
Did this guy work for Nickelodeon in some capacity? The artwork with the huge eyes and round heads looks straight out of "The Fairly OddParents" or some such.

The jokes will mostly be wasted on the toddler/preschooler set. The older kids will probably giggle at this briefly.
And no, I don't think Love That Kitty!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to Be a Cat is any better.
paula
Flintstonian cartoon art drenched in some of the richest numbers in the Pantone book gives this happy little ditty a Nick Jr. feel. Is that bad? No it's not. But as in the old Hanna Barbera cartoons, there is a lot of copying and pasting of faces and figures. Kids, of course, will not notice this - visual acuity diminishes when one is giggling so hard one falls off the couch.
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The little boy in this book acts like a puppy, and his parents keep begging him to act like a little boy. Finally, he does and he is unhappy, but that only lasts a page, because the last page shows him dressed up as a cat "Meowww!"

Classroom: Using your imaginiation, and being who you want to be! Those ideas are always welcome in my classroom! We could use the idea: If you could be anything for a day, what would it be-- and then have them make a journal or schedule about their day.
Catherine Fevery
Dec 04, 2012 Catherine Fevery rated it liked it
This is a good read for little boys. This book can bring out little kids creative side. Kids love to pretend to be princesses and dinosaurs and all sorts of different creative things that they see. The main character in this story,Peter, brings out his creative side by becoming a dog. Yes, he literally starts acting like a dog by barking and chasing a mailman. It is about a little boy who one day decides he randomly wants to become a dog. But he doesn’t act like a very well behaved dog and soon ...more
Beverly
Jun 03, 2015 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, dogs
I think he pretended to be a dog just to get out of doing chores.
Patricia
Jan 31, 2016 Patricia rated it really liked it
Funny!
Dolly
Jun 11, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
This is a fun and colorful story that has the feel of a comic book or graphic novel. The narrative is humorous and silly and the illustrations are cartoonish and remind me of the characters from the Fairly Oddparents. We enjoyed reading this book together and we thought the ending was hilarious.
Vicki
Feb 05, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
Funny/silly story that may be best for kindergarten and above to get the humor of this book, although a few of the preschoolers were laughing at certain points. A cute idea about a boy who pretends he is a dog. I can't wait for the girl who comes to storytime who does pretend to be a dog to hear this book!
Nancy Jo Lambert
Aug 15, 2012 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
In looking for a read aloud book about dogs, I found this one. However, I don't think this is a dog book. This book was kind of weird, but funny. I'm not sure exactly what I think of this book or how to use it with kids, but it has got me thinking....
Danielle
Dec 20, 2013 Danielle rated it did not like it
In the same vein as I am a frog by Mo Willems but not fun like that one. This one has a much older sensibility but it is too easy for older children. I think that the author was a little confused about his audience.
Sara Jones
Mar 25, 2010 Sara Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, pets
Repeat to self what Nat said... graphic novel style illustrations. Good for kids that want to read em but aren't quite there yet. Ending reminiscent of "Imogene's Antlers." Or "Bark, George."
S.N. Arly
Aug 11, 2009 S.N. Arly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This picture book is fun and engaging. It really captures the essence of dog and the essence of child. I look forward to Jeff's next title (as does my three year old).
Heather Richard
Feb 28, 2011 Heather Richard rated it it was ok
Pretty cute. I really enjoy when books end leaving us thinking about the same character doing something different - in this case, becoming a cat. Very cute!
Kate
Mar 09, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok
Cute but odd. It's a funny book that may prove especially interesting for children with over-active imaginations. Pacing is good for storytime.
Emmeline Guest
Didn't love it, but my son did.

Silly somewhat comic book style illustrations will likely appeal to goofy little boys.
Funny book about a boy who becomes a dog--reminded me of those Fudge books. Not a preachy book, just lots of fun.
Natalie
Mar 20, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Pretty funny picture book done in a graphic novel style, good for kids that want comics that aren't quite there yet.
Debbie
Aug 12, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
A really great book for those hard to find Imagination themed books. and it's funny!
Susan
Oct 05, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lola loved this one - she was a dog for a long time after reading this one.
Catlover
Dec 12, 2010 Catlover rated it it was amazing
this book reduces my children to giggling fits
Katie
Aug 19, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
Cute. Comic bookish for young kids.
Rachel
Jun 23, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, 2009
Made me laugh.
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Abraxasaurus Rex
Abraxasaurus Rex rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was ok
Feb 24, 2016
Bharath Katragadda
Bharath Katragadda marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016