Start by marking “Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog” as Want to Read:
Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog

Love That Puppy!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to be a Dog

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Peter is an ordinary boy . . . at first. Then one day he decides to become a dog. He loves to play fetch. He can bark like no one’s business. And just look at him chase that mailman!

But while Peter is good at being a dog, he is not always a good dog. What’s a puppy to do when his mother and father want their human son back? Luckily, Peter comes up with a solution that shou
Published May 26th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published March 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Love That Puppy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love That Puppy!

The Library Lady
Did this guy work for Nickelodeon in some capacity? The artwork with the huge eyes and round heads looks straight out of "The Fairly OddParents" or some such.

The jokes will mostly be wasted on the toddler/preschooler set. The older kids will probably giggle at this briefly.
And no, I don't think Love That Kitty!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to Be a Cat is any better.
paula
Flintstonian cartoon art drenched in some of the richest numbers in the Pantone book gives this happy little ditty a Nick Jr. feel. Is that bad? No it's not. But as in the old Hanna Barbera cartoons, there is a lot of copying and pasting of faces and figures. Kids, of course, will not notice this - visual acuity diminishes when one is giggling so hard one falls off the couch.
Catherine Fevery
This is a good read for little boys. This book can bring out little kids creative side. Kids love to pretend to be princesses and dinosaurs and all sorts of different creative things that they see. The main character in this story,Peter, brings out his creative side by becoming a dog. Yes, he literally starts acting like a dog by barking and chasing a mailman. It is about a little boy who one day decides he randomly wants to become a dog. But he doesn’t act like a very well behaved dog and soon ...more
Dolly
Jun 11, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, pets, childrens
This is a fun and colorful story that has the feel of a comic book or graphic novel. The narrative is humorous and silly and the illustrations are cartoonish and remind me of the characters from the Fairly Oddparents. We enjoyed reading this book together and we thought the ending was hilarious.
Vicki
Funny/silly story that may be best for kindergarten and above to get the humor of this book, although a few of the preschoolers were laughing at certain points. A cute idea about a boy who pretends he is a dog. I can't wait for the girl who comes to storytime who does pretend to be a dog to hear this book!
Nancy Jo Lambert
In looking for a read aloud book about dogs, I found this one. However, I don't think this is a dog book. This book was kind of weird, but funny. I'm not sure exactly what I think of this book or how to use it with kids, but it has got me thinking....
Danielle
In the same vein as I am a frog by Mo Willems but not fun like that one. This one has a much older sensibility but it is too easy for older children. I think that the author was a little confused about his audience.
Sara Jones
Repeat to self what Nat said... graphic novel style illustrations. Good for kids that want to read em but aren't quite there yet. Ending reminiscent of "Imogene's Antlers." Or "Bark, George."
S.N. Arly
This picture book is fun and engaging. It really captures the essence of dog and the essence of child. I look forward to Jeff's next title (as does my three year old).
Heather Richard
Pretty cute. I really enjoy when books end leaving us thinking about the same character doing something different - in this case, becoming a cat. Very cute!
Kate
Cute but odd. It's a funny book that may prove especially interesting for children with over-active imaginations. Pacing is good for storytime.
Emmeline Guest
Didn't love it, but my son did.

Silly somewhat comic book style illustrations will likely appeal to goofy little boys.
Funny book about a boy who becomes a dog--reminded me of those Fudge books. Not a preachy book, just lots of fun.
Natalie
Pretty funny picture book done in a graphic novel style, good for kids that want comics that aren't quite there yet.
Debbie
A really great book for those hard to find Imagination themed books. and it's funny!
Susan
Lola loved this one - she was a dog for a long time after reading this one.
Catlover
this book reduces my children to giggling fits
Katie
Cute. Comic bookish for young kids.
Rachel
Made me laugh.
Hailey
Hailey added it
Oct 15, 2014
Suzy Raley
Suzy Raley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Love That Kitty!: The Story of a Boy Who Wanted to Be a Cat The Very Busy Toymaker The very busy zookeeper (Counting storybook)