Blank-133x176
Abnormal Psychology: A...

David H. Barlow

Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  12 reviews
ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY: AN INTEGRATIVE APPROACH, Fifth Edition, is the perfect text to help you succeed in your abnormal psychology course! Authors Barlow and Durand show you how psychological disorders are rooted in multiple factors: biological, psychological, cultural, social, familial, and even political. You can test your understanding of topics with the text's built-in c...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Abnormal Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abnormal Psychology

Raychel
I read this textbook (the entire thing!) for my Abnormal Psychology class. It was very informative and I learned very much from it. I definitely couldn't have gotten through the class without it. DSM criteria is stated in boxes throughout each section, which is very helpful. Great textbook.
Aloha
I read this book a while back for school. It is an informative and absorbing book. I was always interested in anything out of the norm, so this was perfect for me. It's interesting traveling down memory lane at Goodreads.
stephanie
an excellent textbook for abnormal, it resists a lot of the impulse to simply follow DSM criteria and the medical model. i appreciated the integrated approach taken to the disorders, the mentions about research being done, and the depth with which the disorders were discussed. i was also pleased to see things like DBT mentioned with BPD, and certain meds with bi-polar - it takes it a step further from simply describing the disorders to discussing how people are treating them today.

all in all qu...more
Shacoria
This was my assigned textbook for my Abnormal Psychology class. I can't believe I actually read this entire textbook during the semester.It was pretty interesting as far as textbooks go. I really liked all of the case studies in the book. They were my favorite parts of the book. I also enjoyed the little quizzes at the end of each chapter.
Travis
I thought it was a solid overview of the field of Abnormal Psychology. The main takeaway from the book was certainly that disorders generally have genetic and environmental components. I feel i am more knowledgeable than I was beginning the class (wish I had the CD...seems like the had interesting interviews with folks).
Amanda Patterson
The best layman's guide to 'abnormal' psychology.
Find out about the major life stressors. Find out how fine the line is between a narcissist and a sociopath.
Easy to read and worth having as a research guide if you are writing almost anything.
this book has one of the best textbook covers (almost as amazing as Harlequin novels, really) I've ever see!
really, it's like therapy for stressed female students everywhere (or maybe, it's just me).
anyway, I love this book, so much.
Dec 30, 2011 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good. I'm hoping this book will give me some insight on some of the commonly diagnosed mental disorders of people I know.....Perhaps I'll be less judgmental if I find out why so many folks are nuts these days.
Lindsey
Feb 02, 2010 Lindsey is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Im currently studying this book for my abnormal psychology class in my sophomore year of college.
Katie
Reading it for school but it is interesting and chalk full of information.
Melissa Baggett
Decent book, but glad class is finished!
Meagan Brantley
Excellent Abnormal Psych reference book!
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Sep 06, 2014
Hayden Hyndman
Hayden Hyndman marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sherry Saraswati
Sherry Saraswati marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Emmy Lou
Emmy Lou is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Crystal Hacker
Crystal Hacker is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Laura Alejandra
Laura Alejandra marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
S K
S K marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual Anxiety and Its Disorders: The Nature and Treatment of Anxiety and Panic Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook Abnormal Psychology: An Integrative Approach Unified Protocol for Transdiagnostic Treatment of Emotional Disorders: Workbook