Start by marking “Elric of Melniboné (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #8)” as Want to Read:
Elric of Melniboné (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #8)

Elric of Melniboné (Tale of the Eternal Champion #8)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Containing Elric of Melnibone, The Fortress of the Pearl, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Dreaming City, While the Gods Laugh and The Singing Citadel this is one of the Millennium Uniform Editions of Moorcock's work, omnibus volumes with revised texts and new introductions.
Published February 1st 2001 by Orion Publishing Group (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Elric of Melniboné, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric of Melniboné

Robert Beveridge
Jan 23, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melnibonë (DAW, 1972)

Perhaps more than any fantasy series since The Lord of the Rings, the six "classic" Elric novels stand as the definitive fantasy novels. Not long after their original American publication in the authorized editions (with stunning Michael Whelan cover art), the TSR folks included a section on Elric in the original AD&D book Deities and Demigods, removed in subsequent printings for legal reasons. Then the gothic metal band Cirith Ungol used some
TheFountainPenDiva
I was first introduced to the brooding sorcerer-emperor of Melnibone in high school(a long, long time ago in a suburbia not far away enough), and instantly related to his sense of not belonging, of always questioning the whys and wherefores of life. Elric is one of fantasy's most intriguing characters, and has sparked some rather heated debates as to whether or not he can be defined as a "hero" in the classic sense. The Elric Saga is classic sword and sorcery fantasy at its best.

And, I loved Ro
Brendan Detzner
Dec 31, 2007 Brendan Detzner rated it liked it
Your results may vary with this one, especially if you're a bigger fantasy person then I am and especially especially if you're interested in the history of fantasy. The character Elric was and is a really interesting twist on the genre, and it's nice to have a protagonist whose next move you genuinely cannot anticipate. I'm not in love with all the swordfighting/spellcasting/worldbuilding but if it's your bag then this is the good stuff.

SPOILER

The ending might have cost the book a star all by i
Debbie
Sep 18, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
This book really excited me when I started to read it. The first book in this collection was exactly what I like from a fantasy novel - good characters, good locations, good story-telling, mystery, intrigue. Unfortunately reading the book as a collection of stories, it all just seemed to lose its way. It felt very disjointed and lacked any sense of continuity.

Elric is a very interesting character, but as he's meant to be protrayed as an evil protagonist, it never really came across that way. Whe
Timothy Rowe
Jun 24, 2013 Timothy Rowe rated it liked it
Time has not been kind to these stories. In the late 60s and early 70s, Moorcock's writing changed the whole face of fantasy writing, but, as is often the case with seminal works, others (including Moorcock himself) came along and did it better. The smash-the-keyboard names ("K'aarna", "Haaashaastaak", "D'a'rputna"), the repetitious telling of how moody Elric is, the flowery writing that is trying too hard, nowadays reads in places like a transcript of a teenager's Dungeons and Dragons session. ...more
R.M.F Brown
Sep 11, 2014 R.M.F Brown rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the greatest thing that can be said about Moorcock is he's one of those writers that makes the reader want to become a writer themselves, so good is his story. The early works of Stephen King have a similar effect. In this tale of the eternal champion series (with its striking white cover that looks good on the shelf) Moorcock presents, vividness, imagination, and one of fantasy's great heroes - a tragic, romantic, destiny driven figure, the equal to anything from Norse mythology or the ...more
Tim Pendry
Mar 23, 2008 Tim Pendry rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Adolescents
Yes - well - if you like sword and sorcery fantasy, then this is one of the great texts after Conan and the Old Testament of Tolkien. If you only skim the genre, then this quasi-fascistic fantasy (aren't so many of them wonderfully politically incorrect) of magic, blood and swords with names and bloodlines is probably the one to read. My patience is only for about one of these types of book every two or three years but I could actually see myself re-reading this in place of a more modern example ...more
Simon Yoong
Mar 12, 2016 Simon Yoong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome book. I simply loved it. Harkens back to the days fantasy was simple, straight-forward, and spellbinding.
Nonethousand Oberrhein
The albino emperor
Read the heroic struggle of the only Melnibonean sovereign equipped with something that resembles a conscience! Through fantastic encounters, epic quests and evocative places, the author depicts one of the most original character in the Sword and Sorcery genre: receiving flaws (physical and/or psychological) where “normal heroes” have qualities, Elric struggle singles him out and immediately it makes him relatable to anyone. No Fantasy reader will be able to resist the fascinat
Νίκος Μπέστας
Oct 28, 2015 Νίκος Μπέστας rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic
The book offers this collection of the Champion Eternal saga, till the conclusion of it.
I will not say much, I will just say, that this book, has filled me with a variety of emotions.
Elric is the only one who could carry out such a fate, and what a fate was that!
Claus
Apr 24, 2011 Claus rated it liked it
Enjoyable reading. An omnibus following the adventures of the powerful albino sorcerer Elric. A book of dragons, ritual sorcery, questing philosophy, romance, tragedy, friendship, gods, elementals and the futility of existence and our lack of control over our own destiny. The books contained in the omnibus are: Elric of Melnibone, The Fortress of the Pearl, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Dreaming City, While The Gods Laugh and The Singing Citadel.
Padre
Jan 23, 2011 Padre rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really wanted to give it 4 stars, but it's very inconsistent quality-wise. Some pieces are extraordinary, while other parts are a mess. The sword & sorcery is usually imaginative and even breathtaking. The parts, where Moorcock describes Elric's doubts are mostly an embarrassing yawn-fest. Three stars then - I liked it, it was close to being great, but missed the mark by a bit.
Thomas
Jul 01, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it
these stories are sort of like the reading equivalent of prog rock album covers
Chiara
Mar 13, 2011 Chiara rated it liked it
An enjoyable adventure, with a strong flavour of a role-game in it. That I didn't particularly appreciate, and the gods who let themselves be summoned and who aid the humans. But I surely liked the ship that sails through sea and land, the trick of the Memory Mirror and of course the black swords with a will of their own!

Donna
May 24, 2013 Donna added it
I loved it! Actually, what's not to love? Blood and gore, a soul-eating sword, a morose albino emperor, 1/2 demon 1/2 human. Oh, and don't forget, mercenary sidekicks galore, lovely women, many a quest and a memorable ending.

Yeah, Elric!

Sarah Garner
May 15, 2016 Sarah Garner rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really couldn't get in to this book, I only read the first book in the collection. I just found it really hard to get into as I really struggled to feel anything but annoyed with the Elryic. Just sucked big time.
Matt Ryan
Apr 16, 2013 Matt Ryan rated it liked it
I'm moving this off my "to read" list. I read it when I was young, sort of remember it, and would like to reread it once time allows.
John Montagne
Jun 26, 2011 John Montagne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sword-sorcery
Actually fleshed Elric out more... which I would have thought impossible at this point. A great add to the classic saga.
Paraskevi Oppio
I love the tale of the albino sorcerer. I love Elric, I think he is the best of Moorcock's Eternal Champions.
Mano (Leslie)
Jan 21, 2008 Mano (Leslie) rated it it was amazing
awww yeah, donchoo mess with the albino and his sword stormbringer! because it will end in D00M!
Nikki
Jun 05, 2008 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Good fantasy, but not as mindblowingly awesome as my mother insisted it was. Very, very easy to read.
Aurora
Aurora rated it it was ok
May 25, 2016
Jay Ferrin
Jay Ferrin rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
A
A added it
May 10, 2016
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Amanda Appel
Amanda Appel marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
María José
María José is currently reading it
May 06, 2016
Sil Walker
Sil Walker marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Bill J. Lenz
Bill J. Lenz rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Gary Bailey
Gary Bailey rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
  • The Conan Chronicles: Volume 1: The People of the Black Circle (The Conan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wraiths of Will and Pleasure (Wraeththu Histories, #1)
  • The Painter Knight (Branion, #2)
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
  • The Door to Saturn
  • Shadow Magic (Havemercy #2)
  • The Chosen
  • The Year of Our War (Fourlands #1)
  • Flashing Swords! #4: Barbarians and Black Magicians
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Konrad (Konrad, #1)
  • Quid Pro Quo (The Administration, #2)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems
  • The Sword of Bheleu (The Lords of Dûs, #3)
  • Publikumsbeschimpfung und andere Sprechstücke
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Tale of the Eternal Champion (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Von Bek (Eternal Champion, #2)
  • The Eternal Champion (Eternal Champion, #1)
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • Corum (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #4)
  • Sailing to Utopia (Eternal Champion, #8)
  • A Nomad of the Time Streams (Eternal Champion, #4)
  • The Dancers at the End of Time (Dancers at the End of Time, #1-3)
  • The New Nature of the Catastrophe (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #9)
  • The Prince with the Silver Hand (Tale of the Eternal Champion, #10)
  • Legends from the End of Time (Eternal Champion, #13)