Start by marking “Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty

Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflections on Dealing with the Death Penalty

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  59 reviews

As a respected criminal lawyer, Scott Turow has been in
Published August 1st 2004 by Picador (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Punishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Punishment

Larry Bassett
I am on the thin book rampage, a revolution against thick books. I have these thin books. Why shouldn’t I read them? This particular is not only thin (164 pages) but is a spin off from my last book that was also about the death penalty, A Saint on Death Row. That one left me feeling a little flat so I am hoping Scott Turow’s Ultimate Punishment will perk me up.

When I start a new book I very often read several GR reviews just to get a lay of the land. And sometimes I need help to get it. In readi
Paul Eckert
Scott Turow was part of a committee appointed by then-Illinois governor George Ryan to examine capital punishment and how it can be improved, or if should be abolished altogether. Ultimate Punishment is Turow’s experience on this panel, which spent 2 years investigating capital punishment, coupled with his other experiences as a lawyer.

Luckily, Turow is not just another extremist advocating only one side. He approaches the issue by carefully examining the consequences of having a death penalty
Sara
Turow was asked by the Governor of Illinois to participate in a commission to review and recommend reforms for capital punishment. I liked his self-label of being a death penalty agnostic and can probably apply it to myself. He addressed many facets of the capital punishment system including the investigation, eligibility, the prosecutions decision to seek the death penalty, the trial, and review of the sentencing.

At the end of the book I was no more certain about my stance on the death penalty
James
It's OK. This is a lawyer's contemplation. It should not be confused with philosophical contemplation. As a lawyer, Turow is excellent. He spots issues. He sees different points of view. He even persuasively puts on arguments on both sides, and convincingly reaches his own conclusions using his political and prosecutorial experiences. But don't expect any profound insight and meditative breakthroughs. His use of examples is sparse and a little confusing.

The book raises more subjects than it res
Louis
A very thought-provoking book on the death penalty. Turow is best known for his legal novels, but he is also an accomplished and well-respected lawyer. This book recounts his time on a commission in Illinois reviewing the death penalty both philosophically and in practical application. While it did not change my mind as far as supporting the death penalty in theory, it did enlighten me to flaws in the system that need to be corrected as we go forward.
M
Strong argument for monitoring of cases where the defendant has been remanded to death. Actual factual examples of cases before the Illinois Commission on the Death Penalty that were overturned due to several improper criminanl procedures, including suppression of evidence, trumped up charges, lies, deliberate with holding of information, filing of false reports and includes issues that the victims have to contend with. Recommended.
SueAnn
Really interesting stuff. I listened to the audio version. One point that Turow makes is that our founding fathers recognized slavery and capital punishment. While we no longer agree with slavery, has our opinion on capital punishment changed as well?
Chris
A truly interesting book. Mr Turow reflects on the Illinois death penalty and his investigation as part of a panel to recommend reforms to the death penalty in the early 2000's.

Mr Turow considers all kinds of angles, is the death penalty just? is it practical (he notes that the cost of a death penalty trial outweighs the cost of incarcerating a convict for life and that there aren't enough death penalty cases each year for abolition to show appreciable savings, both points I found fascinating)?
Bob Schmitz
Many years ago I read a couple of Scott Turow's legal mystery's and a couple of years ago I read "One L" about his experience in law school a wonderful perceptive and descriptive non-fiction piece. I picked up Ultimate Punishment to see what this smart guy has to say about Capital Punishment. Turns out he has a ton to say.

In 2001 or 2002 Turow was appointed by the governor of Illinois to a blue ribbon committee to examine capital punishment in the state. In this book Turow recounts his two year
Carin
Mr. Turow was on the committee in Illinois that looked into the way the death penalty has been applied, to see if there should be a moratorium on it, as the governor has suggested after a large number of capitol cases were found, upon appeal, to have been in error (DNA proven in 50% of the cases). This brief book is the result. It is fair look at the system, from people on many sides of the argument, investigating everything from the financial costs to the racial makeup of the convictions, and i ...more
Christina
I've always enjoyed Turow's legal thrillers, so seeing him put his formidable intelligence to the question of the death penalty was enjoyable as well. I was already inclined to agree with his opinion (the death penalty is wrong) but I was appreciated the exploration of different concerns. But would this book change the mind of a death penalty supporter? I'm not so sure.
Rob
Read this book if you haven't already made up your mind about the death penalty, or if you're pro-death penalty and willing to have your thoughts challenged. As an opponent of the death penalty, I wasn't particularly moved. Still, Turow's a great writer (if needlessly self-promoting) and I share many of his views. Plus, at 120 pages, it's a quick read.
Clifford
This book didn't change my mind because I was already firmly opposed to the death penalty, but I did appreciate the close examination of the issues by a lawyer who has examined them closely and thoughtfully.
Kecia
This book forced me to challenge all preconceptions I had about the death penalty and ask myself if I could pull the lever. I could not.
Marik Casmon
A compassionate and logical book of essays about the death penalty, one which examines the issue from many, perhaps all, sides.
Natasha
This book definitely opened my eyes to many issues surrounding the death penalty.
David
This is a thoughtful, even-handed examination of the merits and demerits of the death penalty. The author concludes that because the justice system in our democracy is essentially incapable of adopting all of the specific reforms necessary to make the death penalty fair, equitable, appropriate, and less prone to error, it should be abolished. In other words, if you can't get it right, then you shouldn't get it. He gave little attention to the prospect that the death penalty sends a message that ...more
Kristy Miller
Before Scott Turow was a best selling mystery author he was, and remains, a practicing attorney. He has been a federal prosecutor and a defense attorney, and has first hand experience on both sides of the death penalty issue. In 2000, then Governor George Ryan declared a moratorium on the death penalty after 13 defendants had been cleared using DNA evidence. He then called a commission to study the death penalty system, and make recommendations for fixing the many, many problems. The commission ...more
Philip
Jul 01, 2012 Philip rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: law
The death penalty, like abortion, is one of those issues that seems to inspire strong opinions in just about everyone, regardless of personal experience or knowledge. Like most people, I consider myself a moderate – I have been uncertain about the morality of capital punishment and haven’t drawn any conclusion (read, done any research) about its effectiveness as a deterrent, but I have been firm in believing that the government should not be in the execution business.

I am hardly an activist, but
Stephen
This is an excellent collection of concise essays about various issues related to capital punishment, such as police investigations of heinous crimes, housing dangerous killers in prison, the burden of victims' families, the legislative process that produces death penalty laws, and the author's service on the Illinois death penalty commission. Mr. Turow incorporates into several essays his experience as a federal prosecutor and defense attorney in capital cases. Many of the essays present argume ...more
Barry
Just excellent- a thought provoking non- fiction analysis of the death penalty by Scott Turow. Turow is best known for his fictional works with a criminal law context- but he also served on a Commission in Illinois to review issues attendant to the death penalty experience in this state. Its very well done

Some questions probed:

What are the goals of punishment?
What do we think of the perfectibility of human beings and the perdurability of evil?
What value do we place on life of the murderer and of
Kris
4 STARS

"A gripping examination of the case for and against capital punishment by a respected criminal lawyer and celebrated novelist. In the words of Harvard Law Professor, Laurence H. Tribe--"Ultimate Punishment is the ultimate statement about the death penalty: to read it is to understand why law alone cannot make us whole." (From Amazon)

I quite liked Turow's views on capital punishment and it makes you think of your own opinions.
Janet
Scott Turow presents another page turner that I couldn't put down. Set in his TriCities mythical place in Middle America, this novel explores the force of being an identical twin, a twenty-five year old murder, the strength of the Greek community, along with a number of likable characters. Was sad when it was over.
Monika
A quick overview of Turow's experience serving on the Illinois Commission on Capital Punishment. At 164 pages it managed to be a quick yet thorough read, despite feeling redundant in places.

Kaethe
Whatever reasons one might have for supporting the death penalty in the US, Turow ably explains why it has to go.
Mary Whisner
Years ago I picked up this slender book. Subtitled "a lawyer's reflections on dealing with the death penalty," it relates Turow's experience handling a couple of death penalty appeals pro bono and serving on the Illinois commission that looked at the death penalty. He said he began as a "death penalty agnostic" -- not opposed, not for -- and ended up so concerned that the report he participated in led to Gov. Ryan's decision to declare a moratorium on the punishment.

This is a thoughtful discussi
John Mccormack
Scott Turow writes very clearly.I tried to keep an open mind,and was pleased that Turow presented a fair,balanced argument.I've read One L(non-fiction)as well as several of his novels.He's writing is vastly superior to that of John Grisham.
Jean Doolittle
Thoughtful--should be mandatory reading
Andrew
Solid book by an accomplished, seasoned writer. Turow has the gift of being able to see events from more than one perspective. His account of his days on the capital punishment commission during Illinois' moratorium on the death penalty in the early 2000's is well-paced, nuanced, and balanced. Would make a very good complement to Helen Prejean's Dead Man Walking.
Rebecca
This was a pretty quick read-not a deep dive into the politics or morals associated with the larger debate. Instead it was a satisfying pragmatic walk through the moratorium in IL and one commission members approach. It was transparent and well written. There is no agenda to change minds but I did find a lot of my own feelings were in line with the author.
  • Convicting the Innocent: Where Criminal Prosecutions Go Wrong
  • Gideon's Trumpet
  • Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA
  • Black's Law Dictionary
  • Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer
  • The Final Days: The Last, Desperate Abuses of Power by the Clinton White House
  • Every Move You Make
  • The Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals
  • Lying in Wait and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #17)
  • Active Liberty: Interpreting Our Democratic Constitution
  • Senatorial Privilege: The Chappaquiddick Cover-Up
Scott F. Turow is an American author and a practicing lawyer. Turow has written eight fiction and two nonfiction books, which have been translated into over 20 languages and have sold over 25 million copies. Movies have been based on several of his books.

Series:
* Kindle County Legal Thriller

More about Scott Turow...
Presumed Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #1) The Burden of Proof (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #2) Innocent (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #8) Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3) One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School