Start by marking “Unexplained Mysteries of World War II” as Want to Read:
Unexplained Mysteries of World War II

Unexplained Mysteries of World War II

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Loss of life, destruction, unending pain and misery - the results of war never seem to make sense. War defies logic. Having searched through stacks of periodicals, military reports, interviews, and other publications, author William Breuer has come up with over one hundred such illogical events, and presents them in Unexplained Mysteries of World War II. From popular myste ...more
Published May 15th 2008 by Castle Books (first published April 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Unexplained Mysteries of World War II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexplained Mysteries of World War II

Glenn Walborn
The book Unexplained Mysteries of World War II has many strange stories and instances that happened in the war on both sides of the conflict. One of the stories was about the most successful submarine in the US Navy's Pacific Fleet. At the end of the mission, the last torpedo fired malfunctioned and sunk the submarine instead of the target. Another story was about Colonel Jimmy Doolittle's raid on Tokyo that coincidently happened at the end of a Japanese air raid drill. The raid made Colonel Doo ...more
Doug
A collection of interestion stories from WWII. Some know (missing flight 19 from the bermuda triangle) and other less well know but interesting to me. For me the great point was that it all came in very 'bite size' pieces. I could read 1 or more items and easily put it down and then come back whenever I liked.
Richard Turner
I picked this up from the bargain bin and found that it wasn't a bad book, just not what I expected. It focuses heavily on the intelligence activities form both sides during WW2 and as such, it isn't really about Unexplained Mysteries IMHO. Still if you like bite-sized odd anecdotes about WW2, this is a book for you.
CD
A book that can easily be picked up and put down since it contains short chapters or sections with various stories. These 'unexplained' events or unusual events as many are well explained, are the quirky footnotes to history. Ranging from combat lore to end of the Third Reich including disappearances and strange or macabre death, most readers at all attracted to this type of work will be entertained. This is one of those read at will or leisure books that makes few demands on the reader other th ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
I'm making my way through my physical book collection, one that has been ignored for years.

First completed was this little collection I remember buying from the Barnes & Noble discount area. Breuer has collected verifiable stories that fall in one of several section categories:

1. Puzzling Events
2. Odd Coincidences
3. Curious Happenings
4. Uncanny Riddles
5. People Who Vanished
6. Peculiar Premonitions
7. Strange Encounters

The stories are all footnoted as to whether the original story came from, w
J. Bryce
Light and silly, and I don't know how accurate a lot of the stories in here are -- though the incidents I do know a lot about were retold sensationally and poorly, though most of the facts were fairly straight.
Tena
Very interesting and informative. Loved reading things I didn't know about some of my favorite WWII heroes!
Thomas Almanza
More of a casual, spare-time read, but nonetheless, it was fairly interesting. Too many needless details were at the start of each snippet. I guess it proved these stories as factual. Many of the stories were, without question, interesting. The downside to it is that they were all in categories, therefore the ending to each story was quite predictable. Good book to have hanging around the bathroom.
Anna
overall a great read. Some of the stories seemed a little too conspiracy theory for me, but most of them were really interesting. It's not a book for reading straight through, but just a few stories here and there when you have some down time. I recommend it to anyone who likes world war two and wants to know some of the strange things that happened.
Ted Myers
Interesting book. It puts a personal face on the war and the people who served in it.
Patricia Gulley
I really enjoyed this book. Too often, I wanted to know so much more about the person or persons involved, as in the mysteries. Unfortunately, they are still mysteries today. A very good read.
Andrew McMillen
This was quite an interesting read that's full of brief snippets of events and happenings in WWII. Each story is annotated with the original publication leaving the reader with an easy trail to follow if they want to look further into the various stories.
Louann
This book is AMAZING! I loved every page after the first chapter. The first chapter was a little dry. I was really sorry to see this one end. If you like WWII history, you will LOVE this!
Beth/Chuck
Interesting companion to the same author's previous publication, Bizarre Tales of World War II.
Each subject is less than 2 pages long, perfect for reading when you have a little time to spare.
Sadie
A good read if you're interested in the more curious side of history.
Linda
Puzzling events and odd occurrences of World War 2. Okay read.
Must read if you're a history buff with an interest in WWII.
Jason Cummins
Lots of great info but the mysteries are not very mysterious.
Alan
A little tedious at times, but overall interesting.
Ruth
fascinating and true stories
Michael Kerwin
toilet read
Kasun Hasantha
Kasun Hasantha marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Moira Lau
Moira Lau marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Shweta Nayak
Shweta Nayak marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Alexandre Bittar
Alexandre Bittar marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • The Ultimate Battle: Okinawa, 1945: The Last Epic Struggle of World War II
  • The American Heritage Picture History of World War II
  • The Englishman's Daughter: A True Story of Love and Betrayal in World War I
  • Weird History 101
  • The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It
  • The Thousand-Mile War: World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians
  • Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • An Honorable German
  • Kristallnacht: Prelude to Destruction
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • Here is Your War
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • The Hidden Hitler
The Great Raid: Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor Bizarre Tales from World War II Top Secret Tales of World War II Devil Boats: The PT War Against Japan Secret Weapons of World War II