Start by marking “Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall” as Want to Read:
Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall

Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
From Tom Lee to Robert E. Lee, who made the fateful decision to turn from the nation he loved to defend the state he loved more, the Lees of Virginia dominated both their local and our national landscape.
Published October 24th 1983 by Mariner Books (first published May 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Tidewater Dynasty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tidewater Dynasty

Amber
I think I learned more about the early history of America in this one book than I did in 11 years of American public education. Strangest of all, I was so enthralled I found myself sneaking chapters in the bathroom at work, just to find out what happened to all of the characters -- perhaps all the more because I knew that almost everything in this book actually happened and every event I was reading about had in some way shaped the world we live in today.

This book has been on my mom's shelf sinc...more
Ppackard
This book ticked off all of the milstones of the late 1700 as seen thur the eyss of the Lees. A great refresher in Virginia and US early history.

The dialogue keep me going as I was reminded we were just the poor folks up in the Shendandoah Valley!

I now need to go back to Stratford Hall and reading this book inspired me to visit Sully House (home of Richard Bland Lee) a real treasure on Rt 28 by Dullas Airport in northern VA.

Diane Lynn
A very interesting biographical novel about the Lee family of Virginia. Starts in 1861 for just a bit and then backtracks to tell the Lee story from 1718-1810. If you are interested in Virginia history and/or Robert E. Lee's ancestors, I think you would like this book. Does get repetitive and dry at times but I still enjoyed it.
Annah
As a "from-here" Westmoreland County resident, Roberts and Seely brought alive the old homes and roads that surround this area, opening my eyes to the role the Tidewater played in shaping American history. Well worth reading, and then taking a trip to the NNK to see first hand the area.
jackie
I lovee this for all the Virginia history and early American history. It gives a nice perspective on the colonies and their differences. The Lee's were an important and distinctive family which helped shape our nation.
Shirley Brown
A wonderful read. I learned more bout Robert E. Lee's family than I have in any other reading. His family certainly contributed much to the formation of this country.
Suzanne
I'm sure the fact that I just returned from a trip to Washington DC made this book all the more enjoyable for me, but it was definitely an interesting read.
Kris
This was my first foray into historical fiction when I was in high school. I loved this book!
Sandy
Sandy added it
May 02, 2014
George Simons
George Simons marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Janice
Janice added it
Jan 03, 2014
Salle Mickey
Salle Mickey is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2013
LindaD
LindaD marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2013
Arianna
Arianna marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Nikki
Nikki is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2011
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2009
Pray God to Die Touch a Cold Door Untitled 2 Star-Spangled Sailors: A Stirring Account of the Brave Watermen Defenders of Chesapeake Bay in the War of 1812 Sources in Patterns of World History, Volume 1: To 1600