Start by marking “Two Rooms - Acting Edition” as Want to Read:
Two Rooms - Acting Edition

Two Rooms - Acting Edition

This book is approximately 50 pages in script format, published by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. "The two rooms of the title are a windowless cubicle in Beirut where an American hostage is being held by Arab terrorists and a room in his home in the United States which his wife has stripped of furniture so that, at least symbolically, she can share his ordeal."

Two Rooms rec
Published October 1st 1990 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Two Rooms - Acting Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Rooms - Acting Edition

Raina
Mar 10, 2015 Raina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to this play in my dramatic acting class where a classmate performs one of Michael Well's monologues, and was immediately drawn to this story.
In only 48 pages we glimpse into the lives of four individual characters - husband, wife, journalist, and State Department official, each with their own motive surrounding an American hostage imprisoned in Beirut. The play gives you a succinct, yet lasting glance into the lives of people affected by the capture, making you think a b
Geneva Miller
Jun 07, 2011 Geneva Miller rated it it was amazing
I hesitate to call "Two Rooms" a love story, yet it's the relationship between husband and wife that compels the reader. One room is a windowless cubicle in which the character Michael is held hostage by Arab terrorists. Back in the US, Michael's wife Lainie has stripped his home office, covered the windows, and laid a bare mattress on the floor. Here Lainie and Michael speak to each other across a void of space and time. Separated by oceans, the two deal with political bullies at home and abroa ...more
Kevin
Apr 08, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
A fine play with interesting staging and very different characters. Its one most notable characteristic is that it was written over 20 years ago, yet still perfectly applies to the present day circumstances, often without even a name or location change. Two Rooms will unfortunately continue to be relevant as long as the Middle East remains volatile, which may be for a long time to come.

Blessing's play has a great arc, but never comes clear toward its true motives. There are romantic parts, yet t
Michael
Feb 27, 2016 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a class in theatre. It is a political play and I was hesitant to read it because, at this point in my life, I've little taste for politics, especially when it comes to the Middle East. I was, however, very pleased with the play and how it touched on the topic of terrorism and politics (which are about the same these days). It shows how people are used as pawns by the government, by the press, and by the terrorists as a means to an end completely regardless of how either the means ...more
Kat High
Apr 16, 2016 Kat High rated it it was amazing
Shelves: play
This is a very powerful play. It had me choking up at parts, and I was straight up sobbing at the end. It's important to note that I was reading the script: these emotions were produced by the playwright's words alone. The only criticism I have is that there are a lot of very long monologues--though this could be a bigger issue reading the play than it would be watching a performance.
Blake Norby
Sep 10, 2015 Blake Norby rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read plays, but this was recommended to me and I read it in one sitting. How very poignant, how very real and dirty. It was just so right and so wow. I loved every second of reading it.
Letitia
Jan 01, 2008 Letitia rated it liked it
His most famous play, I believe. At times heart-wrenching, and I think at heart a tragic love-story, but fails to distinguish itself as such. Needs more surprises, more teeth, and a better reason for existing than Lee Blessing's scathing rebuke of the American government.
David
Jun 27, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
a beautifully-written play. complex characters in a realistically shitty situation.

blessing writes a mean monologue. a play that is this affecting and interesting is rare, and i would wholeheartedly recommend reading or seeing it if you get a chance
Mac Colley
Oct 17, 2014 Mac Colley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very moved by this play, especially with the current political conditions in the East. Black Box in April.
Mariel Kathryn
Jul 09, 2015 Mariel Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great play- translates perfectly to today from yesteryear.
Chuck O'Connor
Sep 23, 2012 Chuck O'Connor rated it it was amazing
I love how Lee Blessing recognizes that political issues affect personal lives. This is a very moving play.
Indira (A.P)
Jan 11, 2017 Indira (A.P) rated it liked it
Might post my Journal essay, might not, just depends. Mostly on the grade I receive, lol.
Shanna
Shanna rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2008
Michael Happ
Michael Happ rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Jeffreyreeser
Jeffreyreeser rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2017
Brittney Blais
Brittney Blais rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2011
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2011
Em Flore
Em Flore rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Orit
Orit rated it liked it
May 24, 2010
Fazia
Fazia rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2008
Kellie
Kellie rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2009
Christopher Rutherford
Christopher Rutherford rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Justin Hudnall
Justin Hudnall rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Missy Angolia
Missy Angolia rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2010
Emily Liberatore
Emily Liberatore rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012