Start by marking “Gardner's Art through the Ages: A Global History, Volume I (with ArtStudy Printed Access Card and Timeline)” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  8 reviews
it is ok
Published January 3rd 2008 by Cengage Learning (first published May 22nd 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Gardner's Art through the Ages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gardner's Art through the Ages

Foxtower
A later version of my Art History textbook. Thank goodness I don't have to read this one! (I refer to the pictures) While comprehensive in Gardners view of Art history there were no women... what?

Like any interpretation of ART, I think that only the photos tell a kind of truth.
Christin
A textbook I actually read! And was actually readable. It helped that Kleiner was my professor and his humor was evident in the writing, even though he had to leave some of the naughtier bits out.

"Double-barreled super-stud of a centaur."
Mara
Amazing introduction to Art History. It had the right amount of content, and the style of writing was very approachable and all-around interesting.
Foxtower
This is an updated version of the college art history textbook I used back in the seventies... thank goodness I didn't have to read this one! While this and volume two provide ample photos of art work thoughout history, what lacking is that its a history that lacks women artists!
Allison
This was one of the best textbooks I've used. It's easy to read and full of useful information. Perfect for an introduction to Art History.
Merry
Excellent book for class with Dr. Diane Goode - great professor!
Allison
This is my textbook for Art History 101.
Only college textbook I've ever kept.
Mohammad El-Mesallamy
Mohammad El-Mesallamy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jhone Mendez
Jhone Mendez marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Faustino
Faustino marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Tamta Chanturia
Tamta Chanturia marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Lee Jones
Lee Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
LiZi Bruklinsk
LiZi Bruklinsk marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Laode
Laode marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Fatima Zaki
Fatima Zaki marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Chennabasappa Pawate
Chennabasappa Pawate marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Sanria Erfân
Sanria Erfân marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Findme
Findme marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
  • The Invisible Sex: Uncovering the True Roles of Women in Prehistory
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • World Religions: The Great Faiths Explored & Explained
  • The Woman in the Shaman's Body: Reclaiming the Feminine in Religion and Medicine
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • Tea: The Drink that Changed the World
  • Lost History: The Enduring Legacy of Muslim Scientists, Thinkers, and Artists
  • Show Me How: 500 Things You Should Know: Instructions for Life From the Everyday to the Exotic
  • Dalai Lama, My Son: A Mother's Autobiography
  • Year of the Elephant: A Moroccan Woman's Journey Toward Independence
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of Christianity (Oxford Illustrated Histories)
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
  • Sister Wendy's Story of Painting (Enhanced and Expanded Edition)
  • The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
  • The Fruit of Her Hands: The Story of Shira of Ashkenaz
Art Through the Ages 2 A History of Roman Art Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective, Volume II Gardner's Art through the Ages: A Global History, Volume II (with ArtStudy Printed Access Card and Timeline) Gardner's Art through the Ages: The Western Perspective (with ArtStudy CD-ROM 2.1, Western)