Start by marking “Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth, #4)” as Want to Read:
Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth, #4)

Rhialto the Marvellous (The Dying Earth #4)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Contents:
The Murthe (1984)
Fader's Waft (1984)
Morreion (1973)
Mass Market Paperback, 219 pages
Published November 1st 1985 by Baen Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Rhialto the Marvellous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhialto the Marvellous

Algernon
Nov 05, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
cover

Rhialto the Marvellous closes the initial collection of Dying Earth stories, as chronicled by Jack Vance, a master of invention who took me on an incredible journey through eons of history, hundreds of lost civilizations and quirky cultures, multicolored vistas of exotic lands, weird trees and chimaeric wildlife, magic invocations and last, but not least : deeds of daring, craft and cunning to tax credibility . Even if none of the later books quite recaptured the lyrical, melancholic atmosphere
Mohammed
Stories of the wizard Rhialto the Marvellous and his friensd who are also wizards in 21st Aeon of Dying Earth. I was worried Rhialto as a main character,the book would pale in comparison to the dominating force of Dying Earth series that is Cugel. Rhialto was so amoral in his ways, so arrogant grandee to rival Cugel that i enjoyed his stories in similar. His friends was comical at times that they would all talk pleasantly while in the next second they would use most terrible spells against each ...more
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. I have now finished reading all of the Dying Earth novels and can now say that this is one of the best series EVER WRITTEN. The world created by Jack Vance is as good as anything I have ever read and the possibility for storites set in this venue are limitless. I plan on reading Songs of the Dying Earth Stories in Honor of Jack Vance in the near future and can't wait to see what some of the genre's best writers do with this setting. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!!!
Kat  Hooper
May 10, 2010 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

If you’re a fan of Jack Vance, of course you’ve read, or plan to read, Rhialto the Marvellous, last of the Dying Earth books. If you’ve not read any of Mr. Vance’s work, you can start here — it isn’t necessary to have read the previous installments.

Rhialto, who has earned the cognomen “Marvellous” (this has something to do with him being a bit of a dandy) is one of the last of Earth’s magicians, a small group of selfish and unscrupulous men who sometimes w
Joseph
Apr 22, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And so things end on a bit of a wistful note, in a volume that kind of splits the difference between the original Mazirian the Magician: and the Cugel books. Again, as with Cugel, it's a collection of short stories about the same character (the eponymous Rhialto); in this case, it's three longish stories (one, "Fader's Waft", is long enough that it probably could've been published as a standalone back in the 1960s) and, unlike Cugel, there's no larger narrative collecting the stories.

Rhialto is
Stuart
Rhialto the Marvellous (1984) is the final book in Jack Vance’s Tales of the Dying Earth. The book consists of three stories, “The Murthe”, “Fader’s Waft”, and “Morreion”, so in structure it is more like the loosely connected stories of The Dying Earth (1950).

This time around Cugel the Clever is not featured. Instead, we are introduced to the magician Rhialto (the Marvellous), a resourceful, clever, and somewhat vain and flamboyant member of a conclave of loosly-allied magicians in Ascolais and
Tom Meade
Sep 24, 2009 Tom Meade rated it liked it
Stronger than The Dying Earth, but weaker than the Cugel novels. Rhialto the Marvelous is a fascinating character - one of Vance's many takes on the Maal Dweb-like Clark Ashton Smith class of sorcerers, and seemingly the only spell-caster in all of Amery with more than half a brain in his head. Given that the various run-ins with magicians were often some of the best parts of the Cugel books, it was a great deal of fun to be presented with an entire novel from the perspective of one of those off ...more
Eric
At the sight of Rhialto and Osherl, certain of the men called out in pleasure, and taking up long-handled nets advanced upon the two with sinister purpose.

Rhialto called out: " Stand back! We are magicians! Your first sneer of menace will bring down a spell of great distress; be warned!"

The men refused to heed and raised high their nets. Rhialto made a sign to Osherl. The nets folded over backwards to enclose and clench into tight balls those who had thought use them. Osherl jerked his thumb to
prcardi
Storyline: 2/5
Characters: 2/5
Writing Style: 4/5
World: 2/5

The Dying Earth's charm wore thin here. Vance is still Vance - capable of witticisms aplenty and delightful absurdity - but Rhialto is no Cugel, and these three novellas could not sustain the flair of the episodic tellings elsewhere in the series.

Rhialto's replacement of Cugel should have been a welcome change for me. I was always a little uncomfortable with the latter's depravity, and I was eager to meet another Vance creation whom I mig
Profundus Librum
Feb 05, 2014 Profundus Librum rated it really liked it
A Haldokló Föld regények nem függenek szorosan össze, hiszen az első rész egy novella-gyűjtemény, teljesen külön történetekkel, míg két folytatása – ezek már összefüggenek – Ravasz Cugel, a gátlástalan, nagyképű tolvaj kalandjairól szólnak. A Rhialto visszatérve az eredeti formához három novellát tartalmaz, amit a főszereplő alakja köt egybe és időrendben jóval a Cugel-történetek előtt játszódnak. A klasszikus, kalandos fantasztikus történeteket jegyző szerzők – Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert W. C ...more
KostasAt
Jan 22, 2016 KostasAt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

Στο τελευταίο βιβλίο αυτής της απίθανης σειράς ο Jack Vance δείχνει επιτέλους και μια διαφορετική οπτική και παρ’ όλο που έχει μόνο τρεις ιστορίες, δεν παύει να εντυπωσιάζει.

Η πρώτη ιστορία μου θύμισε αρκετά το στυλ που είχε ο Jack Vance στο πρώτο βιβλίο αλλά εκτός αυτού την βρήκα λίγο μέτρια και αδιάφορη μιας και ο Ριάλτο εδώ έχει ένα πολύ δευτερεύοντα ρόλο που δεν με εντυπωσίασε.

Η δεύτερη όμως, που παρεμπιπτόντως πιστεύω είναι και η καλύτερη της συλλογής, είναι αυτή που βλέπεις πραγματικ
Simon
May 04, 2012 Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken me nearly three years but I've finally finished reading the quartet of books that make up Jack Vance's classic fantasy series The Dying Earth. Perhaps I might have been better off reading the omnibus but I like breaking up series rather than reading them all in one go. Especially with a series like this in which the stories are only loosely connected.

The series in all comprises of numerous short stories, a novella and two novels. This final book contains the novella and two of the sho
Olethros
-Fin de la serie.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En el vigésimo tercer eón y al Oeste del Muro desmoronado, viven unos magos que se han asociado para proteger sus intereses. Uno de ellos, Rhialto, está teniendo una época inquieta, cree que la Murthe está rondando su domicilio y trata de mantener el orden entre las actividades de sus vecinos magos. Cuarto y último volumen de la tetralogía La Saga de la Tierra Moribunda.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
Great last book in the series. Vance does an excellent job blending SiFi and fantasy elements in his Dying Earth stories. Very recommended
Kimm
Feb 21, 2011 Kimm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, jack-vance
Word candy. All of Vance's book have delicious syntax but for some reason this is my all time favorite.
Baelor
Vance ends his Dying Earth series with a standalone novel that manages to balance the anthropocentrism of the third volume with the fantastical creatures and settings of the first.

While I have little doubt that Rhialto and his colleagues receive far less love than Cugel and the various personages in The Dying Earth, I have not doubt whatever that they deserve at least as much. While Cugel was both infuriating and endearing, Rhialto feels more distant and yet more relatable. The wizards are essen
Jim
Feb 01, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it
A friend of mine had recommended this series to me, but had prepared me for slight disappointment with this fourth and final installment in The Dying Earth. Said friend much preferred the rollicking hijinks of the picaresque Cugel stories at the center of the series, noting that Rhialto the Marvellous was something of a step down (but still enjoyable).

Well, to my surprise I found myself thoroughly enjoying Rhialto's adventures. Sure, the guy is nowhere near the rascal Cugel is, but there's still
Liz Baessler
Sep 16, 2016 Liz Baessler rated it it was amazing
What completely weird little book.

This was our latest sci-fi book club selection, chosen because one of our members was actually friends with Jack Vance. Who'd have thought?

I warmed to this book more and more as I read it. The first story was my least favorite, but whether this is because it's the weakest or because I hadn't yet gotten my bearings, I'm not sure. The second story felt interminable, but once I came to terms with the fact that the interminability was deliberate and meant to be cha
Ivo Crnkovic-Rubsamen
Mar 12, 2011 Ivo Crnkovic-Rubsamen rated it it was amazing
Apparently Jack Vance is a sci-fi great, with both hugo and nebula awards under his belt, although i haven't read much, if anything, else by him. Rhialto the Marvellous was a very enjoyable read, quirky and light-hearted yet set in a universe that keeps the reader guessing as to what whimsical twist will emerge next. Vance's prose and the way he has the wizards converse is an interesting mixture of archaic and ridiculous and complements the action well. No complaints of any kind.
Víctor L. Briones Antón
La narración es algo tosca pero uno puede disfrutarla si se mantiene enfocado en el florido despliegue de ingenio y se deja llevar por el influjo de la tierra moribunda y de su melancólico sol que está a punto de apagarse.

Podéis leer una reseña de la saga a la que pertenece esta novela en mi blog Acercamientos: http://acercamientospoesia.blogspot.c...
Raquel Laforet
May 16, 2015 Raquel Laforet rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Nunca ha habido un cónclave de magos más presuntuoso, estúpido y absurdo en conjunto que el de Rhialto y sus contemporáneos. Me he reído mucho, a pesar de que las historias no son perfectas (la segunda me parece demasiado larga, la tercera demasiado precipitada y en general hay mucho machismo). Aun así, graciosísimo. Y que conste que el primer relato es el que menos machista me parece.
Jay
Aug 16, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Jack Vance revisits the Dying Earth with these three stories featuring Rhialto, a mage who thinks a lot of himself. The stories have the wonderful visions one expects Vance to paint, the whimsical characters and, of course, the elaborate spell names.
A pleasure to read and re-read.
Nima
Jun 25, 2014 Nima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
elég hullámzó érdekességgel bírtak számomra a történetek. volt, amikor nagyon jól szórakoztam, de összességében egy kicsit fárasztó volt nekem ez a világ, meg a sok lökött varázsló a sok-sok mellébeszéléssel.
Lorileinart
Jun 30, 2009 Lorileinart rated it it was amazing
re-reading concurrently with my son: what joy!
these are the kind of laughs that last forever.
fromcouchtomoon
Aug 09, 2015 fromcouchtomoon rated it it was ok
I miss Cugel.
Alex
Feb 08, 2011 Alex rated it did not like it
Shelves: crappy-fantasy
Apparently I missed something because everyone else loves this book. I hated it. What a pretentious piece of garbage. And nothing happens. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Jonathan
Aug 13, 2007 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Especially brave when his enemies are tied up, enormously selfish, a role model to none, Rhialto truly is marvellous.
Jonathan Stevens
Feb 16, 2017 Jonathan Stevens rated it liked it
Jack Vance seems to have been influenced by Clark Ashton Smith, and definitely influenced
Gary Gygax. A collection of stories, with much ado about Ioun Stones.
Roddy Williams
Some thirty-three years after ‘The Dying Earth’, Vance returns to the last days of Earth with a trio of inter-related tales surrounding Rhialto the Marvellous, leading member of a cabal of magicians whose petty squabbles with each other are not only delivered with sublime dialogue but which hold a mirror to the interpersonal politics which go on within any organisation.
It lacks the fire and energy of the earliest work, but this is mature Vance, revelling in his mastery of the English language, o
Joel Flank
Nov 16, 2013 Joel Flank rated it liked it
Rhialto the Marvelous, also by Jack Vance is the last of the Vance books of the Dying Earth. This book features the titled magician in 3 somewhat longer stories and is set even further into the future of the Dying Earth than the previous stories. Rhialto shares several personality traits with Cugel - in that he has a very high opinion of himself, and feels that he's owed the best in life. The difference is that Rhialto is a full fledged wizard, instead of a rogue with only some minor knowledge o ...more
  • A Quest for Simbilis (The Dying Earth, #2.5)
  • Songs of the Dying Earth: Stories in Honour of Jack Vance
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Zothique
  • Viriconium Nights
  • The Oak and the Ram (Corum, #5)
  • The Spiral Labyrinth: A Tale of Henghis Hapthorn (#2)
  • Imaro
  • Black God's Kiss
  • The Devil in a Forest
  • Ancients of Days (Confluence, #2)
  • The Secret of Sinharat
Aka John Holbrooke Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to grea
More about Jack Vance...

The Dying Earth (4 books)
  • The Dying Earth (The Dying Earth, #1)
  • The Eyes of the Overworld (The Dying Earth, #2)
  • Cugel's saga (The Dying Earth, #3)

“I understand the gist of your speculation,' said Rhialto. 'It is most likely nuncupatory.” 14 likes