Start by marking “Dry Heat” as Want to Read:
Dry Heat

Dry Heat (David Mapstone Mystery #3)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The past is never past on the mean streets of Phoenix, especially when the mercury hits a hundred and it's only April. Half a century after the unsolved murder of an FBI agent, the missing badge is found on the body of a dead transient. The case seems a perfect fit for David Mapstone, history professor turned Maricopa County deputy sheriff. That is, if he can get past a fo ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Minotaur

To ask other readers questions about Dry Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dry Heat

george burns
A Dlsappointment

Super criminals did not work for Agatha Christie in The Big Four and they have not worked for anyone since. This book has two intertwined plots: a thoroughly unbelievable super criminal revenge scheme and the problem of a dead FBI agent's badge turning up over 50 years after his death. Neither plot comes to much and most of the book is filler: chases, Mapstone's reflections and his descriptions of his wife. This is unfortunate, because the underlying premise of a history PHD hand
Patty
Mar 29, 2016 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My brother recommended this author to me; Talton authors a series of mystery novels based in our hometown of Phoenix. Mysteries aren't really my jam, but after spending a vacation week in Phoenix with my brother and feeling those familiar pangs of nostalgia, we went to The Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale and he bought me a (signed) copy of Dry Heat. The writing is good, the story intriguing, the action believable. I'm not clamoring to buy the whole series, but when I feel that nostalgia for ...more
Meryll Levine Page
Jan 10, 2016 Meryll Levine Page rated it liked it
If you know the Phoenix area, it will enhance your enjoyment of this mystery. All the requisite
pieces are here---complicated plot, complex relationships plus Russian mafia. I found the detective's nostalgia for "old Phoenix" charming when he first reminisced but less charming as he repeated his complaints like a bell tolling the hours chapter after chapter.
Christy
A David Mapstone mystery. Not a great mystery fan, but these are entertaining. Especially liked that it's set in a city I know a little bit. Shows me a side of Phoenix I don't know. I may read another one while I am in Phoenix area for the atmosphere.
Elizabeth
Nov 14, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Another solid book featuring David Mapstone as the Maricopa County's Historian and investigator of cold cases. In this one, an FBI badge from an agent who died in 1948 is found sewn into the jacket of a dead homeless man. The FBI doesn't want Mapstone investigating, Peralta is mysteriously over-interested in the case and Lindsey, now Mapstone's wife, has her own troubles to contend with having just solved a huge credit card fraud case involving the Russian mafia.

My only problem with this book i
Andy Plonka
Mar 31, 2016 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
In addition to producing a credible mystery Talton demonstrates a love and understanding of the American Southwest and Phoenix in particular.
Betty McMahon
Feb 16, 2016 Betty McMahon rated it liked it

Good mystery and well written.
Kathy Pool
Oct 05, 2013 Kathy Pool rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I have read every one in this series. Despite the repetitious staging of each book (guess they could be read out of order, every now and then with other books inbetween I enjoyed this series and learned a lot about old Phoenix area. Loved the historical credentials of the protagonist.
Barbara B.
Dec 27, 2011 Barbara B. rated it really liked it
The 2nd in a series of books written be a former reporter of our Phoenix paper. His books all take place in Phoenix, so it's a real pleasure to not only read a good story, but also to always know where he's talking about!
Jessica
Mar 27, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people from AZ who still like it
Talton's books are entertaining mysteries, but unless you're from AZ, and more specifically Phoenix, several of the references might seem random. If you're from AZ and you like mysteries, though, this is perfect for you.
Tammy AZ
Jul 29, 2011 Tammy AZ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good crime series that takes place in Phoenix. The author lives or at least did live in Phoenix and does an excellent job of capturing it both physically and psychically.
Paul
May 02, 2009 Paul rated it liked it
A fine, unfussy mystery set in Phoenix, AZ. Excellent use of local color and lore to deepen characterizations.
Charles
Sep 27, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
I like David Mapstone mysteries
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
George Justice
George Justice rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
James Thom
James Thom rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Carol Bunner
Carol Bunner rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Sherry Meador
Sherry Meador rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Ann Behan
Ann Behan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Aleta
Aleta added it
Apr 24, 2016
Willie Bell
Willie Bell is currently reading it
May 18, 2016
James Meador
James Meador rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Rita
Rita is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Marilyn Somers
Marilyn Somers rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Matt Brennan
Matt Brennan marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
SANDY MACKENZIE
SANDY MACKENZIE rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Barbara M. Farley
Barbara M. Farley rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jon Talton is the author of the David Mapstone novels, which follow the adventures of a historian-turned-deputy, working the mean streets of the urban West.

Jon's first novel, "Concrete Desert," was hailed by Kirkus as "an impressive debut." The Washington Post said it "is more intelligent and rewarding than most contemporary mysteries." The series has continued with "Camelback Falls," "Dry Heat,"
More about Jon Talton...

David Mapstone Mystery (8 books)
  • Concrete Desert