What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School: Notes From A Street-Smart Executive

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  563 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"Business demands innovation. There is a constant need to feel around the fringes, to test the edges, but business schools, out of necessity, are condemned to teach the past.'

-- Mark H. McCormack, from "What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School" published by Bantam Books.

Mark McCormack is the founder of International Management Group, a multimillion-dollar, worl...more
Published June 1st 1986 by Bantam (first published 1984)

Be the first to ask a question about What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
CEO 10k a day
43rd out of 96 books — 24 voters
Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death by Patrick HenryMy Land and My People by Dalai Lama XIVA Lawyers Life by Johnnie L. Cochran Jr.The Common Law by Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.How to Succeed in Business Without Being White by Earl G. Graves
Books I Plan to Read
36th out of 36 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

David
Filled with anecdotes and not many concrete strategies, "What They Don't Teach You" is an interesting collection of advice from a guy who's "been there." This book seems like something you might want to keep on your shelf and open up once in a while when you get stuck or need some good ideas.
Loy Machedo
First and foremost - Who is Mark McCormack?
Mark Hume McCormack (November 6, 1930 – May 16, 2003) was an American lawyer, sports agent and writer. He was the founder and chairman of International Management Group, now IMG, an international management organization serving sports figures and celebrities.

McCormack was featured as one of the Forbes 400 Richest Americans in 1995, 1998, 2001. In 1990, he was named the "Most Powerful Man in Sports" by The Sporting News. His impact on the Sporting World...more
Sneh Asnani
The book is about management strategies from the Marck which he had learnt during his career of working for various clients, starting his own firm and growing it. The tone of the book is prescriptive throughout and it makes you feel that someone is constantly teaching you the do's and dont's of business.
If you have spent a couple of years in the industry already, you would already know most of the gyan. The examples are from Mark's real life, who runs a firm dealing with sports marketing and st...more
Carlos Velasco
Selling is what they don't teach you at Harvard Business School. ;-) Of course the book is loaded with useful facts from a real-world businessman. Street smarts will love this one from the late Mark McCormack.
J. R. Martin
Read many years ago when tarnsitioning from the Navy to civilian life. Very insightful. Should be required reading for all college graduates.
حاتم عاشور
الكتاب لا يتعدى أن يكون إضاءات في عالم الأعمال .. يشمل الإدارة والعلاقة مع الموظفين والدخول في عالم الأعمال .. وبسبب قدم الكتاب فسوف تشعر بأن بعض النقاط التي يتحدث عنها تحتاج إلى تطوير أو أصبحت لا يعتمد عليها .. وكذلك هي عبارة عن نقاط من تجربة شخصية .. حينها سوف تدرس كل منها وتقيس مدى تطبيقها من حالتك.

يجب أن يحتوي على منهجيات كي يكون أكثر عملية من نقاط سردية.
Tyler Storm
Great book for those starting a career in business or really any field to be honest. A lot of relevant information for young individuals. Kind of gets you into the baby boomer mentality and you can understand why they do what they do at work. You can obtain a lot of information from the 1st read but you have to put it in practice. Remember that at the end it is just this guys opinion, not an absolute fact.

The author has some very interesting stories and this book is quite easy to read. Its more...more
Joe Thacker
The very first business book I ever read, my grandma bought it for me from the Cole's bookstore in Lethbridge when I was in grade 10. Not a very good book, but I have fond memories of starting my long path of learning.
Bibhu Ashish
A practical book with some great tips on how to meander through the complex maze of business world. Written in simple language, this is a no non-sense book which can be used as a cheat sheet by all business executives.
Carla Hall D'Ambra
A little dated but good advice for newbies in the business world... obviously written before IT era. Mark H. McCormack has obviously "been there, done that."
Roman Dee Hellwigi
Solid, common sense read. I expected Glengary Glen Ross indoctrinate, but no. This guy's way funner. And I suspect, far shrewder.
Anna
Fajnie sie czyta, duzo ciekawych anegdot, szkoda tylko, ze ksiazka jest z poczatku lat 80-tych, wiec z lekka outdated.
Gunjan Gupta
This book is all about teaching us that it is the simple things you do that will ensure you do great in your work.
Beautifully written and a must read.
Madeline Wright
I wanted to like this book, but for some reason it became a chore to finish. The subject matter was interesting at the beginning, but the main problem for me is that it tried to turn a person's business and negotiation advice/ case study of his own company into a textbook, which took a long time to get through. If the chapters were shortened by 50% they could have achieved the exact same effect.
Michael
Excellent read! Highly Recommended.
Makarand Hazarika
It has a pretty catchy title and it did catch my attention alright. But now I understand why they don't teach what they don't teach in Harvard Business School - because you ought to learn it yourself, you don't need to read a book for that.

Mark might as well have named the book "Look, I am such an awesome executive!" and it would still reflect what this book is really all about.

Karthik Gunasekaran
Excellent book for personality development
Alex
A brilliant book that 25 years later shows little sign of ageing. Yes, there is talk about memos and typing pools, but the business lessons and tips remain valid.

The anecdotes will stay with you - and provide good material to bore your friends and colleagues with! - but the points they make will stay even longer.
Jothi Arumugam
This is book doesn’t talk about any hard core strategy to be followed which is generally taught by Business school. It is a book which talks about common sense, street smarts, modesty, humour, business skills, and techniques etc., which helps in achieving better results.
Julie
I learned a lot about business by reading and re-reading this book. It really helped me in conversing with high-placed business people, and in dealing with internal situations as well. Mostly it taught me how to be tough but not offensive.
Eddie Nkunda
Read this book a number of years ago, just after graduating from university. The theme is basically thinking out of the box, use all the theory you have learnt and make it practical for you. Street wisdom.
Tree
A pretty good book, with some tips that still resonate after all these years. But others - such as how to take notes to later transcribe to your ledger - are slightly outdated.
Suzy
One of the best corporate politics books I have ever read. Great at talking about dealing with, and reading, people; especially from higher up in the corporate ladder.
Emily
This book is essential to anyone who enters the business world, especially sports marketing. Order your on copy for future reference. It is easy to read and insightful!
Pratik Burman
Great first half....
sad advice on how to deal with employees...
last few chapters were about how great and powerful the author is...
Guy Allen
This is an excellent instructional book for anyone wanted to climb the corporate ladder or succeed in their own dealings with people.
John Maguire
Didn't work for me. Found the endless examples of how fabulously the author dealt with challenges to be a bit off putting.
towner77
Jan 28, 2013 towner77 rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to towner77 by: Geoff Karch
Based on recommendation from Geoff Karch, and the fact that it was NYT Bestseller. Didn't really appreciate the book that much.
Charles Vasanthkumar
Every aspiring Management Student must read this book since it provides practical inputs which are not taught in Bschools.
Stephen
When I applied some of McCormack's rules to my office life my stress level dropped in half. Highly recommended.
  • Ahead of the Curve: Two Years at Harvard Business School
  • How to Master the Art of Selling
  • The Art of Client Service, Revised and Updated Edition: 58 Things Every Advertising & Marketing Professional Should Know
  • The McKinsey Way
  • How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be: The 25 Principles of Success
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Snapshots From Hell: The Making Of An MBA
  • Overachievement: The New Science of Working Less to Accomplish More
  • You, Inc.: The Art of Selling Yourself
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
What They Still Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School Never Wrestle with a Pig: And Ninety Other Ideas to Build Your Business and Career On Negotiating On Managing Getting Results for Dummies.