Start by marking “White Man, Listen!” as Want to Read:
White Man, Listen!

White Man, Listen!

A collection of the controversial and passionate lectures that Richard Wright delivered in Europe from 1950 to 1956 on such topics as race in America, Black literature, and nationalism in Africa.
Published May 10th 1995 by Harper Perennial (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about White Man, Listen!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Man, Listen!

Paddythemic
May 11, 2014 Paddythemic rated it it was amazing
MY FAVORITE BOOK OF WRIGHT'S

nuanced critique of colonialism.

"liberation" of Ghana.

***how black american literature developed (with contrasts seen via pushkin & dumas). brilliant analysis that puts the development of this specific literature in perspective. MUST READ.

look for wright's stunningly brilliant poem "between the world and me".

BETWEEN THE WORLD AND ME - RICHARD WRIGHT

And one morning while in the woods I stumbled
suddenly upon the thing,
Stumbled upon it in a grassy clearing guarde
Judy
Feb 07, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: white people, world leaders

Here we have a collection of controversial lectures that Richard Wright delivered at various universities in Europe from 1950 to 1956. These lectures represent an overview of his thoughts and analyses regarding colored, oppressed and colonized peoples all over the world; the overview developed through his broad study and actual discussions with such peoples.

"The Psychological Reactions of Oppressed Peoples" is an effort to give Western Whites a view into the minds and hearts of such individual
Leif Kurth
Jan 08, 2017 Leif Kurth rated it really liked it
Excellent overview of the issues affecting places in Africa and Asia that were colonized (written in the 1950s). Wright explains the difficulties from both a governance standpoint as well as individuals and communities. He further delves into issues affecting People of Color in the U.S. and provides analysis on the issues and path forward.
Noel
Wow, by far, a great thought-provoking author; and, this book reaffirms to me, his works are very important, one of my favourite works. Although the book is dated, the arguments within in terms of race, culture, the "West", "White man" and history, are fundamental and poignant. The text is divided into four parts: The Psychological Reactions of Oppressed People; Tradition and Industrialization; The Literature of Negro in the United States; and The Miracle of Nationalism in the African Gold Coast ...more
Al
May 29, 2011 Al rated it liked it
In this brief volume, Mr. Wright does three things: First, he presents a brilliant history and analysis of the oppression of nonwhites and its effects; next, he delves into the literature of the Negro in the United States; and finally, he offers a history of how Kwame Nkrumah came to power in what became Ghana.
Parts two and three are not memorable, but the book is worth reading for the first part alone.
Adrian Vasquez
Adrian Vasquez rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
kerri
kerri rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2007
Andres
Andres rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2008
Thebiggfrogg
Thebiggfrogg rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Craig Werner
Craig Werner rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
David Baughman
David Baughman rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Mariam
Mariam rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Tim
Tim rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2008
n.
n. rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Marcel
Marcel rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Ike Sharpless
Ike Sharpless rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Ed Dauterich
Ed Dauterich rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Meagan Tunink
Meagan Tunink rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2015
Ron
Ron rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2014
Shinika Hayes
Shinika Hayes rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Salihu Mukarram
Salihu Mukarram rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2009
Jacara Chas
Jacara Chas rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Tara Powell
Tara Powell rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
Patrick Salkeld
Patrick Salkeld rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Della
Della rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Richard Nathaniel Wright was an African-American author of powerful, sometimes controversial novels, short stories and non-fiction. Much of his literature concerned racial themes. His work helped redefine discussions of race relations in America in the mid-20th century.

More about Richard Wright...

“Hence, there is no such thing as an absolute objectivity of attitude. The most rigorously determined attitude of objectivity is, at best, relative. We are human; we are the slaves of our assumptions, of time and circumstance; we are the victims of our passions and illusions; and the most our critics can ask of us is this: Have you taken your passions, your illusions, your time, and your circumstance into account?” 3 likes
“Then, first of all, let us admit that there is no such thing as objectivity, no such objective fact as objectivity. Objectivity is a fabricated concept, a synthetic intellectual construction...” 2 likes