Start by marking “High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)” as Want to Read:
High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #2)

High Heels are Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #2)

From the Agatha Award-Winning Author of Dying In Style

Every job has its pluses and minuses. Josie Marcus gets to shoe-shop-but she also must deal with men like Mel Poulaine, who's too interested in handling women's feet. Soon Josie's been hired by Mel's boss to mystery-shop the store, but one step leads to another and Josie finds herself in St. Louis's seedy underbelly. C

Mass Market Paperback, 278 pages
Published November 7th 2006 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about High Heels are Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Heels are Murder

Kristen
Jun 16, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy, 2012
If you love good cozies, you'll enjoy High Heels Are Murder, the second installment in the Josie Marcus series. Josie Marcus, a single mom, is a mystery shopper to make ends meet. We really do feel for her and her situation, especially with her pesky neighbors from hell. But this one, we witness a possible match--or mismatch--with her boyfriend Josh. I do feel for her some more, when her heart's broken as she discovered how he lied to her. We see how devoted to her mom and how close she cherishe ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 26, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying Elaine Viet's mystery shopper series as much as her dead end job series. I knew there were mystery shoppers but I didn't know there were mystery shopper professionals. I thought they were all just random assignments people could sign up for. I had a friend who did 2 or 3 assignments that she was randomly selected for, kind of like jury duty. In this book, the 2nd in the series, a shoe salesman is found murdered the day he has lost his job because of the mystery shopper's evaluation. ...more
Chelsea
An excellent cozy mystery that deals with single parent issues, working hard for a living and friendship. The book also deals with adult themes related to a particular addiction.

AND, if you want to laugh out loud, read her books! :-D
ChickLit Cafe
Feb 27, 2017 ChickLit Cafe rated it it was amazing
Great Cozy Mystery
Laura Roberts
Jun 12, 2014 Laura Roberts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mysteries, 2014
Elaine Viets is one of my favorite cozy mystery authors, thanks to her "Dead End Job" series, and now this title in the "Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper" series.

Combining the fun of mystery shopping with the dark side of foot fetishes, Josie has to mystery shop Soft Shoe, where salesman Mel Poulaine is accused of fondling female shoppers' feet. She catches him in flagrante, and files the report that gets him fired - and next thing you know the man's found dead. Thankfully Josie isn't implicated, b
Susan
Mar 11, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
High Heels are Murder was the first book that I have read by Viets, and I have to say that it was a quick enjoyable read. Josie finds herself mystery shopping in a shoe store that ends with her getting the clerk fired. The next day she finds out that not only was the shoe salesman dead but that the man had been loaded. Thus jumpstarts a mystery that takes Josie on many twists and turns. Viets does a great job with her character development of Josie who by the end of the book doesn't make the sam ...more
Ed
Aug 15, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#2 in the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series. Josie is supposed to find out if a shoe salesman has too much interest in his customers' feet. Interesting sidelight - who knew that there was a subset of foot fetishists, "pedal pushers", who get off on watching a woman depress the gas pedal on a car.

Mystery Shopper series - Every job has its pluses and minuses. Josie Marcus gets to shoe-shop-but she also must deal with men like Mel Poulaine, who's too interested in handling women's feet. Soon Jos
Becky
Mar 08, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery, fiction
"High Heels are Murder" is the second installment in the "Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper" series by Elaine Viets. It's the second book in the series I've read, but I'm not going in order. To be honest, this is a cozy mystery but some of the topics were a bit weird for me. The book revolves around the murder of a foot fetishist. It wasn't as "cute" as cozies are usually. While it's well-written and is a good mystery, the topic was a little to bizarre for me.
Linda
Jun 11, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing
Who knew there were so many different ways that shoes could be kinky?

Josie Marcus gets talked into doing a favor for her childhood nemesis, Cheryl, by Josie's mother, who needs CHERYL's mother's patronage to become chairperson of a couple of church committees. Little does Josie know that she will be drawn into a web of gambling, foot-fetishists, a ring of housewife-hookers who don't REALLY have sex, and blackmail by DVD.
Rumeur
Nov 10, 2012 Rumeur rated it liked it
Good "cozy" mystery but strange topic--foot fetishes?? I know they exist but still strange for a cozy subject. Also---I highly doubt ANY casino would allow pictures to be taken inside. I can barely walk through a casino with a camera without being questioned. But when reading these types you sometimes must just let reality fly out the window and just go with the flow of the book
Kathleen
Nov 29, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This was a great surprise find for 50 cents at Half Price Books, well worth it since I would have paid more for this enjoyable read. Well written and fully developed characters it was easy to picture the scenes in my head as they were taking place. I could have read it a lot faster then I did, but this was one I wanted to savor. I look forward to reading other books in this series.
Macey
Dec 30, 2011 Macey rated it really liked it
Such a fun and funny book. Really a "fluff" type book, as in not too much thought needs to be put into it to read or understand it. But I love Elaine Viets and she's always entertaining.
I believe this might even be better than the Dead End Jobs series...this is the first Josie Marcus I've read, it's numnber 2 so I will have to get the others!
Sara
Nov 01, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this book. Josie, as a character, is engaging and so are the other characters who populate her world. It's light hearted and fast paced and fun and a good mystery. The subject matter is so different from other cozy mysteries and I think I've learned more about shoe fetishes than I really need to know. On to the next book in the series.
Mary Newcomb
Our heroine, Josie Marcus is a mystery shopper. Her report on a sleazy shoe salesman gets him fired. He is found murdered the next day. Through her nosy neighbor, she gets involved in sorting that out. By the end, we have learned more about gambling, foot fetishes and who the actual murderer is. An interesting series with some well written characters in her world.
Aug 29, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book, the second in the series, was much better than the first one. I think I liked it that Josie herself wasn't actually accused of murder or a crime, she was investigating one. I like the interaction between Josie and her best friend Alyson, and their attempts at sleuthing. Fun, quick, read.
Vicky
Nov 11, 2008 Vicky rated it really liked it
Elaine Viets is a talented author. I would read her columns when she wrote for the St. Louis Post Dispatch and was thrilled when she began writing novels. She is clear and concise in her writing style.
Mantelli
Jun 13, 2016 Mantelli rated it really liked it
The Josie Marcus Mystery Shopping mysteries are my favorites of Elaine Viets' books. They are funny and frothy and are set in Maplewood, where I live. This is a fun one. The ring of suburban foot fetishists is good for laughs and intrigue, too!
Nicole Taylor
Aug 02, 2009 Nicole Taylor rated it it was amazing
I just got done reading this book; I am normally not into murder mysteries, however it was so cute. It took me about 3days to finish, a change from what I normally read, will be reading more by this author.
Gwenn Wright
May 24, 2012 Gwenn Wright rated it liked it
Amusing. A cleaner, less funny, version of Evanovich, but still amusing.
A little preachy about gambling and I absolutely detest gambling (work enough
gas stations and gambling begins to churn your stomach). But it was fun and light.
Jenn
Sep 30, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
A very quick read that was highly entertaining. I always enjoy Elaine Viet's sense of humor. A murder that involved foot fetishists was definately over the top and something I never would have thought about. And how DO you explain that to your child when asked???
Jennifer Hall
Feb 23, 2014 Jennifer Hall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jenn-s-favorites
High Heels are Murder by Elaine Viets
I recently discovered the Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper series.
This is the second book in the series and it is incredible I have found a new series to read. A five star mystery book.
Toni
Feb 04, 2011 Toni rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series and Viets' style of writing (love the dead-end job series).
Susan
Apr 08, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Quick & easy read. Interesting mystery. I like this series.
Tina
May 11, 2009 Tina rated it really liked it
Although it seemed too far-fetched that Josie could be so surrounded by murderers, I still enjoyed reading the way she goes about her business of mystery shopping and finding answers.
Michele
Apr 27, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it
Finished book 2, now on to book 3.
Lynn Shurden
Sep 06, 2011 Lynn Shurden rated it liked it
Fun book and quick read.
Teresa
Sep 28, 2013 Teresa rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Frivilous fluff. Light dessert for the brain. Filler.
Lenore
I loved this first one much more. The storyline was a little weird but still a good book.
Jessie Stirling
Oct 18, 2009 Jessie Stirling rated it it was ok
Kind of creepy antoagonist to the story, but great overall.
Rosalee
Jul 11, 2011 Rosalee rated it really liked it
Very cute, but may be a little offputting for some.... I like the character Josie, and will definitely read more in this series!
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Wreckers' Key (Seychelle Sullivan, #4)
  • Armed and Glamorous (Crime of Fashion, #6)
  • Dying to Retire (Murder, She Wrote, #21)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Bookplate Special (Booktown Mystery, #3)
  • Dying to Be Thin (A Fat City Mystery, #1)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu
More about Elaine Viets...

Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper (10 books)
  • Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1)
  • Accessory to Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #3)
  • Murder with All the Trimmings (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #4)
  • The Fashion Hound Murders
  • An Uplifting Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #6)
  • Death on a Platter (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #7)
  • Murder is a Piece of Cake (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #8)
  • Fixing to Die
  • A Dog Gone Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #10)