Start by marking “Emma” as Want to Read:
Emma

Emma

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  4,023 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
In the very last month before her death at the age of thirty-nine, at the height of her powers, Charlotte Brontë set the scene of a new novel called Emma. A child spiritually oppressed, a school run on shallow and mercenary principles, a brutish schoolmistress, a quiet observer of the injustice and cruelty--it contained the same preoccupations which elsewhere had called fo ...more
Published August 1st 1983 by Bantam Books (first published 1860)

To ask other readers questions about Emma, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Luna Shen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Emma by Jane AustenEmma by Charlotte BrontëThe Vision of Emma Blau by Ursula HegiEmma, Vol. 01 by Kaoru MoriThe Future of Us by Jay Asher
Books with the name "Emma" in them
2nd out of 28 books — 10 voters
Prince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceBloodrose by Andrea CremerStorm Glass by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderSpy Glass by Maria V. Snyder
Hoods!
34th out of 54 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

La Mala  ✌
Dec 29, 2015 La Mala ✌ rated it liked it
Claro que son solamente unos capítulos (Charlotte falleció antes de poder terminarlo) pero, creo yo, tenía mucho potencial... más allá de que Arthur opinara que su esposa estaba repitiéndose...
Kaethe
Jul 30, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of all 19th century novels named Emma.
Free download available at Internet Archive

The Works of Charlotte Bronte:
1. The Professor
2. Emma
3. Poems

This fragment, the last literary effort of the author of 'Jane Eyre', appeared in the 'Cornhill Magazine' fro April, 1860, preceded by the following introduction from the pen of its editor, Mr. W.M. Thackeray, entitled: - Tje Last Sketch.

Charlotte Bronte was only able to write two chapters of her last and unfinished work.

Clare Boylan wrote Emma Brown gave a final version of the above manuscrip
علی
Sep 12, 2012 علی rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels, classics
Victorian literature is the literature produced during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837–1901), tend to be idealized portraits of difficult lives, perseverance and love in civil society….
The main elements in Victorian and pre-Victorian literature, are mostly hidden loves, jelousy, planned marriages for money and social positions, women’s situation both in family and the society, and the roll of Church which dominate all over the society. One can not deny the roll of Victorian novels, specially w
Fabiola
Da "purista" ho preferito leggere solo l'inizio - l'originale di Charlotte - e non le continuazioni e conclusioni che prima la Savery nel 1980 e poi la Boylan nel 2003 hanno voluto dare al romanzo.
La valutazione assegnata è data solo dal fatto che la storia sia incompleta (stesso voto ho dato ai due romanzi incompiuti della Austen, per dire), perché quel che realmente penso è: "Che peccato!".
Veramente, le premesse c'erano tutte e la scrittura di Charlotte, qui un po' disincantata e ironica-quasi
Mariamosh
Jun 14, 2016 Mariamosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De första två kapitlen från det som blev Charlottes sista roman. Mycket intressant början, hade med stor glädje fortsatt läsa om boken blivit klar!
Min
Aug 28, 2007 Min rated it it was ok
It is unfortunate that Charlotte Bronte passed away before she could finish Emma. I would have liked to have read the story she wanted to tell.
This story, however, is merely tolerable. The reason for which can be laid entirely at the door of "Another Lady." I don't know what she was thinking; at times it almost seems as if the story is going to plunge into a gothic bodice-ripping romance instead of Bronte's moodier fare. Not that I have anything against bodice-rippers, I just prefer to have the
Lisse
Apr 28, 2010 Lisse rated it really liked it
THis is a very short intro into what was to be Charlotte Bronte's last novel. Unfortunately she did not get very far into it before she met her untimely death. I have read "Emma Brown" which was taken from the first few chapters that Charlotte wrote and then made into a story that the new author came up with. I love Emma Brown, so I wanted to read what Charlotte herself had written. I really wish she could've finished Emma - I would've liked to see what her ideas for Emma and the other character ...more
Jana Eichhorn
May 10, 2015 Jana Eichhorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, one can't really call this a book by Charlotte Bronte, as she only wrote the first two chapters before she died, and it was finished by "Another Lady" (Constance Savery) 100+ years later. As such, we have no way of knowing how Charlotte Bronte had planned on this story playing out, and I think we can safely assume that it would not have been identical to what the finished product turned out to be, but I think she would have been pleased with the result. Likeable protagonists, twisting ...more
Maisie
Apr 15, 2015 Maisie rated it really liked it
Charlotte Bronte’s purpose for writing “Emma” was to show how pasts can affect people, but one must move on from that. Mrs. Chalfont is a great example of this. Her relationship with her stepdaughter was hard when she first got married because Emma would not accept her as her new mother. It did not get any easier the more she was around. Emma and her brothers did not even live with Mrs. Chalfont and her husband simply because Emma hated her. Mrs. Chalfont had been haunted by the memory of her st ...more
Becki
Synopsis from dustjacket: In the very last months before her death at age 39, at the height of her powers, Charlotte Bronte set the scene of a new novel entitled Emma...The wanton havoc wrought by Emma in the life of Mrs. Chalfont, the narrator, is not the only proof of her ruthlessness. She plays a part, too, in the sufferings of the abandoned child, Martina. The affection which grows between Mrs. Chalfont and Martina out of their mutual distress illumines this story. And Emma herself, with her ...more
Kmcc
Mar 20, 2011 Kmcc rated it really liked it
Is there a female alive that has not at some point been a bit of an Emma? And hasn't every female experienced bafflement due to an Emma placing her, at some point in her journey, in a situation with a member of the opposite sex that brought on a feeling of complete and utter mortification? THAT is why I love this book. I have lived the roles from various perspectives, and I have observed Emma in the lives of others.
Deborah
Aug 04, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing
I don't know why more people don't know about this book. I ran across it in a used bookstore and have loved it ever since! It was an unfinished fragment by Charlotte Bronte that was finished by "another lady"--real name unknown at ths point. Would make a great historical romance/mystery miniseries!
Phil Syphe
Dec 30, 2013 Phil Syphe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the fragment that Charlotte Brontë had begun writing before her sad early death and thought it a great shame that this work remained unfinished. I'm glad that over 100 years later 'Another Lady' came along and found the inspiration to write a full novel based on what little details Miss Brontë left behind.

The character of Emma is an elusive one. She causes great heartache for Arminel - the likeable female narrator - who becomes Emma's stepmother. Emma's influence over her three broth
Erssie
Oct 01, 2015 Erssie rated it liked it
This is a partial manuscript at the end of The Professor
Nehal Desai
Oct 29, 2014 Nehal Desai rated it really liked it
it is a worth reading book and those who have not read they need to read.it is a very simple and easy english. it is a nice book.i would like to give 5 stars but a part of the story made me to give only 4 stars. but it is worth reading.

Joyce Cavin
Feb 11, 2014 Joyce Cavin rated it really liked it
The other EMMA (not J.A's). Read this when I was still in HS. Morbid plot, tied up nicely, pragmatic. Want to say Charlotte have you ever been happy a day in your life?
Kaycee Sapinoso
It was a great shame that Charlotte Bronte wasn't able to finish this book. I'm sure it would make another great historical romance/mystery.
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
Apr 12, 2014 Hilary Lang Greenebaum rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and am so glad I chanced upon it at the library. There was lot of romantic drama, more mystery about identities, and wonderful depiction of the inequity and despicable conditions in London.
Marge DuPrey
Jan 14, 2016 Marge DuPrey rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story about Emma protecting her family. True classic.
Priya Seshaadri
Apr 05, 2015 Priya Seshaadri rated it liked it
The last 90 pages were pure torture. Ending was obvious.
Kristýna
Jun 12, 2015 Kristýna rated it really liked it
Knížky o týhle době prostě miluju :-) Nejradši bych v ní žila.
Tahle knížka se mi moc líbila.
Zajímavý, zamotaný a to rozuzlení dokonalý :)
Velmi jsem si oblíbila jednoho nejmenovaného pána a myslím, že po přečtení vám bude jasné koho :) :-D
Anneleen
Ik was eigenlijk vooral benieuwd naar dit boek omdat het (weliswaar maar een klein stukje) was geschreven door Charlotte Brontë. Het verhaal zelf viel wel goed mee eigenlijk, maar ik vraag me af hoe het zou zijn afgelopen, mocht Charlotte Brontë het hele verhaal zelf hebben geschreven. (Want ergens had ik gelezen dat zij enkel de 1e twee hoofdstukken had geschreven, waarna de rest is verder geschreven door een onbekende vrouw). Achja, we zullen het nooit weten.

Uitgelezen april 2013.
Janice Todd
Oct 14, 2013 Janice Todd rated it liked it
Sadly, I was disappointed. Completed by Constance Savoy, though the dialog and characters were typical of Charlotte Brontë, the title character, Emma was lacking until the final two chapters. When we finally meet her, she's a disappointment, caving in and dissipating before our eyes (though she doesn't faint or have the vapors). All is tied up nice and neatly too quickly, too conveniently, with a tidy sappy ending where everyone lives happily ever after.
John Hatley
Jul 06, 2016 John Hatley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read an unfinished work, a fragment, that I really wanted so much to continue. It will of course have to remain a mystery, but even in its truncated form it is a very good representation of the characters, particularly of the headmistress Miss Wilcox. And, it is a very good introduction to the works of Charlotte Bronte. It's the first I've read of her books but it will not be the last.
Faith
Apr 23, 2008 Faith rated it it was amazing
This book was written by Charlotte Bronte and 'another lady.' The other lady finishing Charlotte's unfinished work. I could definitely tell where Charlotte ended and 'another lady' began, and at that point, all Brontesque was thrown out the door. But if you read it without thinking that it's a mutilation of a great Bronte story, you'll really like it.
Martine
This was not a bad book, but it did not seem as Brontesque as I was hoping. The plot seems rushed and forced upon the characters, readers, and, unfortunately, Bronte. There is an excellent attempt at the language in the beginning, but seems to fade as the story progresses. Nevertheless, it is, undeniably, an interesting read.
Rosanna
Mar 29, 2011 Rosanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19th-english-lit
I was very surprised to learn that "Another Lady" wrote the majority of this novel. I felt the first 10 chapters seemed very true to Bronte's form and intent, but there's a transition where the writing became rushed, the plot forced, and the dialect not true to the Bronte era. Overall, worth reading.
Lauren
Jan 06, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
Read this in a class on 19th century British literature and enjoyed discussing it in class more than actually reading it, thanks to the superb lectures of Professor Elaine Scarry. In any case, we'll always have Cher & Elton ;)
Emma is by Jane Austen 3 19 May 04, 2014 07:06PM
  • The Newcomes
  • The Well-Beloved
  • Wickham's Diary
  • Louisa May Alcott's Christmas Treasury
  • Всё о муми-троллях (Всё о...)
  • Mother
  • The Life of Charlotte Brontë
  • Agnes Grey
  • Hide and Seek
  • The Three Clerks
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Sanditon and Other Stories
  • Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #1 & #3)
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
Charlotte Brontë was a British novelist, the eldest out of the three famous Brontë sisters whose novels have become standards of English literature. See also Emily Brontë and Anne Brontë.

Charlotte Brontë was born in Thornton, Yorkshire, England, the third of six children, to Patrick Brontë (formerly "Patrick Brunty"), an Irish Anglican clergyman, and his wife, Maria Branwell. In April 1820 the fam
More about Charlotte Brontë...

“Все мы ищем в жизни идеальное. Когда-то мной владела сладкая иллюзия, будто в положенное время большинство людей находит предмет своих исканий и происходит это скорее рано, нежели поздно. Хотя мне не довелось найти его в годы моей юности, твёрдая уверенность в том, что он всё же существует, продолжала жить в моей душе в самую лучшую, светлую пору жизни, сохраняя надежду. Но я не нашла его и в зрелости и смирилась с тем, что отныне так всегда и будет. Несколько бесцветных лет я жила спокойно, ничего не ожидая от грядущего.” 2 likes
“...хорошенькие, живые, непосредственные девочки, бесстрашные, ибо не чувствующие за собой вины...” 2 likes