Start by marking “The Last 100 Days” as Want to Read:
The Last 100 Days

The Last 100 Days

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
A dramatic countdown of the final months of World War II in Europe, The Last 100 Days brings to life the waning power and the ultimate submission of the Third Reich. To reconstruct the tumultuous hundred days between Yalta and the fall of Berlin, John Toland traveled more than 100,000 miles in twenty-one countries and interviewed more than six hundred people—from Hitler’s ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Modern Library (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Last 100 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last 100 Days

Band of Brothers by Stephen E. AmbroseBlack Hawk Down by Mark BowdenHiroshima by John HerseyOn Killing by Dave GrossmanUnbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Best Non-fiction War Books
284th out of 960 books — 1,376 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankNight by Elie WieselSarah's Key by Tatiana de RosnayNumber the Stars by Lois Lowry
World War II/Holocaust Fiction & Non-fiction
186th out of 526 books — 510 voters

More lists with this book...

Mikey B.
Jan 14, 2013 Mikey B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
John Toland writes clearly and is able to move from the high levels (Churchill and Roosevelt, Hitler) to the details of individual soldiers on the battlefield. He has performed an important task of interviewing hundreds of people (from Generals to civilians fleeing the Soviet Army). He weaves a massive canvas of the final days of the Third Reich.

Thank-fully he does not accuse Churchill and Roosevelt of betraying Poland at Yalta. He points the finger clearly at Stalin and the Soviet Union for th
Dec 06, 2015 Martin rated it really liked it
Interesting look 'behind-the-scenes' at the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. Mostly about The Big Three vs. The Germans (Italy and Mussolini get a mere two chapters!), with all the usual players: Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, Eisenhower, Bradley, Patton, Montgomery, Truman, Dulles, Smith, Harriman, Hitler, Göring, Goebbels, Himmler, Speer.

Political wranglings, military manoeuvrings, agreements made & broken, 'displaced persons', refugees, the usual war-time atrocities (mass rape, lo
Erik Graff
Mar 27, 2013 Erik Graff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Having read at least two of Toland's books previously, I picked this one up with some confidence and was not disappointed. Toland, a professional writer, not an academic historian, effectively weaves into his grand historical narrative enough small illustrative examples that the reader is repeatedly reminded of the personal, human dimension of war. Much of his material is original, based on his interviews with survivors.
Walter Mendoza
Jan 06, 2016 Walter Mendoza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
John Toland's The last 100 Days is a countdown about Europa's front; like a novel Toland tell us from many points of view, simultaneous testimonials of soldiers or leaders, with a great narrative the author tell us historical events based on diaries and war documents, Toland describes important events like conference at Yalta, or the devastation of Berlin.

In conclusion the book help us understand the war's final on Europe. More 50 years after final of war, Toland's work is one of the best books
Jul 28, 2012 Owen rated it really liked it
The last 100 days of the Nazi regime have long remained clouded by the fact that it was the Soviet armies that reached Berlin first and afterwards controlled the information surrounding the end of it all. Until things had settled down, and let's not forget that they only ever partially settled down (Patton's cry of "Let's push on to Moscow," still rings in one's ears), little or no information was available to the Western press about the successful Russian attack against the German capital. John ...more
Jun 26, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII History Buffs
Recommended to Matt by: Dave Wetzler
A very interesting read, although it takes a bit to really get going. It jumps around the timeline quite a bit, particularly towards the beginning. That said, it settles down about halfway through and gets much easier to follow.

It was very eye opening and informative, however the fact that it was written by an American and published during the height of the Cold War I can't help but feel some of the descriptions of the Soviet armed forces are a bit biased. It isn't that I don't think they're fa
-En su momento, ejemplar y de referencia. Ahora no tanto.-

Género. Historia.

Lo que nos cuenta. Visión casi periodística, con momentos novelados, de los últimos cien días de Segunda Guerra Mundial en el frente europeo a través de un gran número de participantes en los hechos. Libro también conocido como “Los cien últimos días” (sí, en serio).

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:
Patrick Clark
Jun 06, 2015 Patrick Clark rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but it is heavy duty history with a lot of direct quotes from original source material. I think the time period, last 90 days of WWII, was a very critical time period for the world, but for the US in particular as it shaped the opening of the Cold War. Highly recommended for history buffs, not so much for those looking for history lite or only entertainment.
German Patarroyo
Sep 28, 2008 German Patarroyo rated it really liked it
This book is has everything!!! it show us how the people (german, amarican and russian soldiers, etc)lives these final days and in the same time represents the final experiences of characters so important like Hitler, Mussoulini and Rosevelt and the the impresions of Stalin and Churchill
Feb 19, 2008 Douglas rated it liked it
Much of the draw for my WWII hobby is the information regarding organizational and individual leadership behaviors. This work was particularly good at describing the interpersonal and organizational dynamics of Hitler's inner circle.
Dan Berkowitz
Oct 10, 2016 Dan Berkowitz rated it it was amazing
Very interesting view of the end of European WWII, greatly written to mix the overall war with small details.
Jerry Smith
May 23, 2015 Jerry Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: history, war, 2015-read
Ok but I didn't finish it before I had to return it and it was a tad disappointing, maybe due to my expectations. Having said that it is not at all bad and I will return to it I'm sure. My problem with it seems somewhat churlish - I find the detail and the personal stories somewhat distracting and long winded in this context. I realize that is unfair and that detail often makes the book as I have often opined here on Goodreads.

However in this case I am really interested in how the last 100 days
Oct 15, 2015 Themistocles rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-ii, history
I found parts of this book quite enjoyable and original, while (I admit it) I had to skip others. Toland chooses to go through the last 100 days by following specific incidents that could be good examples of the whole, but it's just not so. For instance, the Americans PoWs occupying a village. It's a very, very interesting story, but not quite representative, and it just doesn't stick with the story-telling, for instance, of the western front politics.

For some reason Toland also chooses to go on
Dec 25, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Not my favorite of Toland's work. Lots of atrocities and lots of repeated atrocities (wait, didn't we just go through this?), plus an (understandable for the time, but still distracting) focus on how bad the Russians/Bolsheviks were and a sort of canonizing of the Americans and even the Germans. "OMG I had like no idea there were concentration camps despite my high position in Nazi leadership!" Suuuuuuurrre.

He also has a tendency to just write out the minutes of meetings between Churchill, Roose
Edward Weiner
Nov 11, 2015 Edward Weiner rated it really liked it
This is a very long and detailed history that concentrates on the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. I listened to the version. Very well written. The author tells the story from all sides -- primarily, America, Britain, Russia and Germany. Diplomacy, communications, troop movements, major battles, the impact on civilian populations -- all are described in a chronological narrative; and it is a fair and balanced account. If you think you know all about these fourteen weeks, try ...more
Mar 30, 2015 Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though Toland's work has become somewhat dated, his unusual lens, focused on the last 100 days of World War II in Europe, remains useful. Toland includes the highest-level policy decisions of Yalta alongside the most important tactical events, such as the Rhine and Oder crossings, peppered with views from the home fronts, POWs, and the core of the Nazi leadership. He provides useful studies of the deaths of three world leaders - FDR, Mussolini, and Hitler. Overall, a well-written work that still ...more
Feb 28, 2013 Zack rated it really liked it
A very solid account of the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. My only issue with it is that it offers very little in the way of new information. Mind you, I've read so much on the subject that it is hard for me to learn something new. If you're just beginning to read up on the subject, I recommend you start with Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle." Nevertheless, Toland's work is well worth your time.
Linda Lou McCall
Great war account - absolutely AWFUL narrator!!! Listening to Ralph Cosham's flat, boring, uninspired reading was worse than jabbing a rusty spoon in my eye! John Toland's great research deserved a much better narrator. Twenty-seven hours and thirty minutes of Cosham's voice was too painful for me to go on after 5 hours. I love Toland's work and would have given the print version 5-stars. Don't put yourself through the pain!
D. Wayne
Jul 21, 2008 D. Wayne rated it really liked it
This provides an intense revelation of the politics and planning behind war. History records wartime leaders during as "greats", or on the flipside, unredeemable evildoers. Do leaders seek war to join the pantheon of "greats"? Recent and current wars don't have the determination and support of the populace for total victory. Greatness in part seems to come from defining victory and achieving it. Where are the lessons on demonstrating greatness through constructive means instead of war?
Mary Simonsen
Jul 30, 2012 Mary Simonsen rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent account of the last 100 days of the Third Reich, including the murderous fight between the Russians and Germans for Berlin. It also chronicles the desperate situation for the Germans in the closing months of the war and its immediate aftermath. A comment frequently heard by Germans at this time was: "Enjoy the war. The peace will be terrible." For those living in the Russian zone, it was.
Comment | Permalink
Dennis McCrea
Aug 25, 2016 Dennis McCrea rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a World War II history buff. And I thought I knew quite a bit about the history of World War II as it was conducted both in Europe and elsewhere. But this book certainly field in a lot of empty spaces that in reality I did not realize I had.

A great read but a lengthy read as well. I highly recommend this book to anybody who has a deep interest in World War II.
Sep 25, 2012 Marco3x rated it liked it
Uneven, with fiction and the 'maybe history' genre intertwined. Even so, Toland is a good writer and creates an interesting story of the machinations among FDR, Churchill, and Uncle Joe, who comes off far more sophisticated than most accounts I have ever read.

The collapse of Berlin and the Third Reich is gut wrenching, personal, and murderous to the bitter end.
John Rebrovick
Nov 09, 2008 John Rebrovick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Presented in several richly narrated snapshots of the war in Europe covering the Allies on both fronts and the desperate Germans in between from perspecties high and low. Fascinating insights into the motives and personalities of tall the great political and military leaders. Gives unsettling testament to the dangers of weakness of will against enemies.
Bill Shears
Sep 11, 2010 Bill Shears rated it it was amazing
All the details of the inner circle and the bunker you saw in the movie Downfall plus Allied planning, FDR bamboozled by Stalin (who preferred American cigarettes and watered his vodka) at the Yalta Conference, the most detailed and horrifying account of the Dresden bombing (support for it was not monolithic at the time) seen anywhere and more.
Melissa Acuna
May 03, 2015 Melissa Acuna rated it it was amazing
Brilliant summation of the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. Because of the scope of the book, the author doesn't have the option to provide depth in many cases, but he does a remarkable job of providing a full recounting of the Allied and Axis decisions, thoughts, and actions. Many primary sources and new information make this a must read for history buffs.
Linda Dew
May 07, 2015 Linda Dew rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fascinating book reviewing the last 100 days of WWII with all the behind the scenes stories of Roosevelt, Truman, Churchill, Stalin and the stories of everyday soldiers and civilians. Fascinating.
Apr 03, 2013 JC rated it really liked it
Great book that was based on thorough research and interviews done in the early 60's so it was (by relative terms) recent history to all involved. Great scenes at the Yalta Conference and in "the Bunker"
May 31, 2012 GlenK rated it really liked it
An excellent, readable history of the Third Reich's last 100 or so days. The concluding pages of surrender details seemed to run out of steam and the inclusion of dialogue was a bit odd for a history but those are minor quibbles.
Jan 29, 2009 Sonny rated it liked it
Large, weighty but not stifling. Good observations on how the Russians were handled or looked upon in the ending days of WWII. The Conference history gives us some insight into a largely-undisclosed (or overlooked) bit of Allied posturing.
George de Armas
Sep 02, 2013 George de Armas rated it it was amazing
The writing is clear and fast paced. What I thoroughly enjoyed is the in-depth research that paints a picture of the actions of ordinary and extraordinary men during this time of a worldwide upheaval.
  • The Last Battle
  • Decision in Normandy
  • Manstein: Hitler's Greatest General
  • Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944
  • Barbarossa
  • Blitzkrieg: From the Rise of Hitler to the Fall of Dunkirk
  • The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
  • Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris; June 6 - Aug. 5, 1944
  • Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
  • The Battle of Kursk
  • The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat
  • Hitler Moves East 1941–1943
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
  • No Simple Victory: World War II in Europe, 1939-1945
  • The Last Days of Hitler
  • 1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls
John Willard Toland (June 29, 1912 in La Crosse, Wisconsin - January 4, 2004 in Danbury, Connecticut) was an American author and historian. He is best known for his biography of Adolf Hitler.[1]

Toland tried to write history as a straightforward narrative, with minimal analysis or judgment. This method may have stemmed from his original goal of becoming a playwright. In the summers between his coll
More about John Willard Toland...