Start by marking “Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence

Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  32 reviews
"Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the gloves herself. Big Ben was striking as she stepped out into the street. It was eleven o'clock and the unused hour was fresh as if issued to children on a beach."
-from "Mrs. Dalloway in Bond Street"

The landmark modern novel Mrs. Dalloway creates a portrait of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway as she orchestrates the last-mi
Published January 5th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published March 13th 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Dalloway's Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Dalloway's Party

To the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfThe Waves by Virginia WoolfA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfOrlando by Virginia Woolf
From Virginia's Room
22nd out of 84 books — 31 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenLolita by Vladimir NabokovThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienRebecca by Daphne du MaurierFinn by Jon Clinch
Best Beginning of a Novel
80th out of 140 books — 163 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra X
Shallow.

I've never been able to see what was so great about Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville-West, the premiere female authors of the Bloomsbury Set. Two women from the upper class who wrote books about upper class women who did nothing at all except have minor angsts or affairs which they wrote about with excellent powers of description but no introspection at all. The men were different, there were some very great writers amongst them - Lytton Strachey and the wonderful E.M. Forster, for exam
Kathy Duncan
Mrs. Dalloway’s Party is a series of thematically linked stories, that can be read as vignettes or as one long party. It the first, “Mrs. Dalloway in Bond Street,” Mrs. Dalloway sallies forth to buy the gloves herself. At age 52, she runs smack into her own mortality on the way to the glove shop. Alarmed, she realizes for the first time that the shop girl is a good twenty years older than the last time Mrs. Dalloway bothered to really look at her, to consider her as a fellow human rather than a ...more
Paula
Seven stories, a further look into the high society life that makes Mrs. Dalloway's party. Ms Woolf had a fascination with parties and I have a fascination with her fascination. "For a party makes things either much more real or much less real." My favorite story being the longest- written, entirely about one outdated dress.
Lara
I found two positive things to say about this book. First, as a self-confessed lover of 'all things gramatical', Virginia Woolf's long complex sentences are beautifully constructed. These can run for half a page, with side-tracks and twists, yet when you look back at them, they are absoltely correct. This, for me, is the joy of Woolf.

But, this series of short stories is utterley devoid of joy. Don't be fooled by the publisher's assessment that the book has the whole range of emotions associated
Bernadette Robinson
This is our July Library Reading Group read and I can't wait to see what the rest of the group think. A very short book of 57 pages, comprising of 7 short stories or as it calls them in the introduction chapters. The only way that you could call them chapters is that they are all set in the lead up to the Party but aren't related to one another in any other way. Why? I have to ask myself are we in anyway interested in them as I found them rather dull and of very little substance. I found my mind ...more
James R. C.  Baker
Spot on! "Fibres of her were floated capriciously this way and that, like tentacles of a sea anemone, how thrilled, now snubbed, and her brain, miles away, cool and distant,up on the air, received messages which it would sum up in time so that, when people talked about Roderick Serle (and he was a bit of a figure) she would say unhesitatingly: 'I like him,' or 'I don't like him,' and her opinion would be made up for ever. An odd thought; a solemn thought; throwing a green light on what human fel ...more
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/la-fiesta-d...

“La fiesta de la señora Dalloway” de Virginia Woolf. Alrededor de la Señora Dalloway.

De la nota de edición de Lumen al libro podemos leer:
“Los siete relatos que componen La fiesta de la señora Dalloway son el complemento ideal de la novela, pues Virginia Woolf los escribió en el período comprendido entre 1922 y 1927, así que, de alguna manera, estos textos rodean y acompañan a La señora Dalloway, que se publicó en 1925.
Dos de ellos sirven de i
Kadidja May
I've never read anything by Woolf before, but I must say that I enjoy her writing style. I can almost hear my old English teacher say how "fine" this writing is, how beautiful those little moments of recognition at the end of most of these short stories are when the characters finally understand something. And I guess I agree with his imaginary comments.

Woolf's narrative technique isn't something you would call conventional though. Her stories pretty much consist of pure streams of consciousness
Rachel
It's been so long since I've "read," officially, for GoodReads that I had to do another! "Mrs. Dalloway's Party" is a collection of short stories (and what was a draft of Chapter One of "Mrs. Dalloway") which Virginia Woolf wrote during and after her most well-known novel. It was bound up and published posthumously, featuring an intro by Woolf historian Stella McNichol.

In the intro, McNichol touched upon Woolf's fascination with parties, perhaps akin to today's "5 minute dating" events. It was a
Adam
Some books, and some authors, can be enjoyed distractedly, but these stories by Woolf demand your full attention. I've not read "Mrs. Dalloway" yet, but I am impressed by how Woolf portrays the rich inner life of character after character amid the rather banal setting of a party.

I think this was a fine introduction to Woolf; I'm convinced now that reading her novels will be well worth my time, and I assume this was not her apex, so the best is yet to be experienced.
Patricia
Some of the stories offer a perspective on the different paths the novel could have taken. The novel is probably sleeker without Mrs. Dalloway wondering whether to buy Cranford for Milly, but I love how she reflects on the episode of the cow in flannel and laments the humor and self-respect(!) that kind of writing embodied.
It's fascinating to follow the alternate routes novel might have taken. But the value of the stories go beyond that. Like her essays and novels, these stories capture "moment
Telma
Resumo: Um conjunto de 7 contos que Virgínia Woolf escreveu para ilustrar e compreender e servir de apoio ao universo que constitui a festa da Mrs. Dalloway.

Crítica: Este foi o meu primeiro contacto com a escrita de Virginia Woolf e adorei. Tinha receio que ela tivesse uma escrita muito rebuscada ou difícil mas a poesia da sua escrita é maravilhosa. Senti que o seu raciocínio vinha por ondas, começava numa ideia, que puxava para outra e que nos levava a outra ideia, nunca se repetindo e dando co
elstaffe
Favorite story was "Ancestors." It never ceases to amaze me how a character can be perfectly encapsulated within four pages and a few run-on sentences.
Fascinated and preoccupied by the idea of this social event,Virginia Woolf wrote this story sequence around the same time as writing the novel Mrs Dalloway. In each of these three stories written in Woolf's distinctive style, the listener is offered glimpses into each character's inner most thoughts and emotions. Woolf depicts the intriguing social world of Mrs Dalloway's party in microscopic detail.

This story, 'Mrs Dalloway in Bond Street', follows Mrs Dalloway as she runs errands and prepares
Niloy Mitra
I think I missed most of the stories :(
Susan
In these seven short stories gathered together for the first time, Virginia Woolf explores what she calls "party consciousness." Written during the same time Mrs Dalloway was conceived and written, these stories (and the thoughtful introduction) are an interesting accompaniment and variation on the themes of that novel.
Rebecca
I loved this little collection of stories. Having read and enjoyed Woolf's novel Mrs. Dalloway, this collection was very intriguing. There are certainly similar themes in both works, but this collection focused more on individual people who were never introduced in the novel. Style is very Woolf. I would highly recommend this collection, especially to avid Woolf fans.
Sherry Chandler
While she was writing Mrs. Dalloway, Woolf also wrote a series of short vignettes of characters who attend the party that's the culminating event of the novel.

Mrs. Dalloway's Party pulls all those stories together in one volume, what you might call a gallery of misunderstandings and insecurities.

I found it delightful -- if often sad.

Monique
How can I possibly relate to every one of these complicated characters? I don't know, but Virginia Woolf somehow did. She always gets me marking my pages with how exactly right she's got it. I hadn't read Mrs. Dalloway in a few years but it wasn't necessary to reread. Love the way this collection flowed like a mini-companion novel.
Moniiq
Zeven korte verhalen die verbonden zijn met de roman 'Mrs Dalloway'. Virginia Woolf schreef ze ook rond diezelfde tijd. Vingeroefeningen misschien, een soort onderzoek naar de essentie van 'feest'. Zeven verschillende perspectieven en ervaringen vóór en op de bewuste party van Clarissa Dalloway. Delightful!
Syd
This small collection has a very good introduction, explaining the common ties of these stories. The most fascinating part of reading Woolf's short stories is observing her process. She has experimented with writing more than any other author I am familiar with, and her brilliance never ceases to amaze me.
Didn't even know this selection of short stories existed before I came upon it at the British Library's shop. I read the whole thing in one go, inspired by the fact I'm staying in Bloomsbury, where Woolf lived and wrote when she was in London. Now I have to go back and read the novel again.
Jonathan
I do love Virginia Woolf, and this is like a little added extra to Mrs Dalloway. Featuring characters already familiar from the main book, these are short stories focussing upon the thoughts and experiences of 7 individuals either going to or at Clarissa's party. Another short book!
Alice
Virginia Woolf's exercise to prepare her for writing the novel, "Mrs. Dalloway," these stories absolutely explode off the page. If you are interested in gender play and sexual politics, this collection is for you.
Yancey Gulley
The short stories that would become Mrs. Dalloway. They give a very interesting insight into the main character her development, both in life and the mind of woolf.
Molly Jo
I read this after I read "The Hours" and it was wonderful. It made "The Hours" so much more moving and made me fall in love with Virginia Woolf.
Rikki
Aug 23, 2008 Rikki added it
this is a nice short in depth look into mrs. dalloway's home. From what I remember its lush with description and feels somewhat gossipy.
bookmateriality
I see Katherine Mansfield in Virginia Woolf's style and vice versa. No wonder Mansfield was the only person Woolf has ever been jealous of.
☯Bettie☯
Rachel
damn, i want to read this... and i never read short stories.
  • Complete Shorter Fiction (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Palladian
  • Guadalajara
  • Virginia Woolf
  • The Gentleman in the Parlour: A Record of a Journey from Rangoon to Haiphong
  • My Guru And His Disciple
  • The Penguin Book of Victorian Women in Crime: Forgotten Cops and Private Eyes from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Few Short Notes on Tropical Butterflies
  • The Woman Who Borrowed Memories: Selected Stories
  • The Abbess of Crewe
  • Printer's Devil Court
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...
Mrs. Dalloway To the Lighthouse A Room of One's Own Orlando The Waves