Start by marking “Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence

Mrs. Dalloway's Party: A Short Story Sequence

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  46 reviews
"Mrs. Dalloway said she would buy the gloves herself. Big Ben was striking as she stepped out into the street. It was eleven o'clock and the unused hour was fresh as if issued to children on a beach."
-from "Mrs. Dalloway in Bond Street"

The landmark modern novel Mrs. Dalloway creates a portrait of a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway as she orchestrates the last-mi
Published January 5th 2004 by Mariner Books (first published March 13th 1923)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Dalloway's Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Dalloway's Party

To the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfMrs. Dalloway by Virginia WoolfThe Waves by Virginia WoolfOrlando by Virginia WoolfA Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf
From Virginia's Room
23rd out of 85 books — 40 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienLolita by Vladimir NabokovA Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
Best Beginning of a Novel
85th out of 148 books — 185 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra X

I've never been able to see what was so great about Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville-West, the premiere female authors of the Bloomsbury Set. Two women from the upper class who wrote books about upper class women who did nothing at all except have minor angsts or affairs which they wrote about with excellent powers of description but no introspection at all. The men were different, there were some very great writers amongst them - Lytton Strachey and the wonderful E.M. Forster, for exam
Emanuel Moreira
"Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the gloves herself.", desta forma começa o primeiro conto deste livro, um tanto semelhante a um romance posterior.
Mrs Dalloway's Party reúne em si sete contos de Woolf que terão sido escritos antes e em paralelo com Mrs Dalloway. Os contos apesar de independentes, de alguma forma se fundem, criando uma consciência global do que será uma e a mesma festa, fracturada em sete formas distintas do particular. Apesar de bastante sucintos, os contos são densos em conteú
I absolutely adored these short stories. I enjoyed delving into these people's minds while they are supposedly enjoying Mrs. Dalloway's party. Their thoughts say so much about the human condition and existence. How we are our own worst enemies. And her writing... I am so in love with Virginia Woolf.

Let me be, let me be...

P.S. We all have been to this party. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

MRS. DALLOWAY’S PARTY. (1923-1025). Virginia Woolf, Stella McNichol (ed.). ***.
I have no skill in reviewing short stories, especially short stories written by Virginia Woolf. These seven pieces were written between 1923 and 1924, and formed the plot basis for much of Woolf’s “Mrs. Dalloway.” Of the seven, perhaps three of them were readable; the other four straying off into the strange world of Woolf. It is obvious that Woolf used these short works as character studies that she included in the l
Kathy Duncan
Mrs. Dalloway’s Party is a series of thematically linked stories, that can be read as vignettes or as one long party. It the first, “Mrs. Dalloway in Bond Street,” Mrs. Dalloway sallies forth to buy the gloves herself. At age 52, she runs smack into her own mortality on the way to the glove shop. Alarmed, she realizes for the first time that the shop girl is a good twenty years older than the last time Mrs. Dalloway bothered to really look at her, to consider her as a fellow human rather than a ...more
Seven stories, a further look into the high society life that makes Mrs. Dalloway's party. Ms Woolf had a fascination with parties and I have a fascination with her fascination. "For a party makes things either much more real or much less real." My favorite story being the longest- written, entirely about one outdated dress.
I found two positive things to say about this book. First, as a self-confessed lover of 'all things gramatical', Virginia Woolf's long complex sentences are beautifully constructed. These can run for half a page, with side-tracks and twists, yet when you look back at them, they are absoltely correct. This, for me, is the joy of Woolf.

But, this series of short stories is utterley devoid of joy. Don't be fooled by the publisher's assessment that the book has the whole range of emotions associated
This is wonderful if you loved Mrs. Dalloway, like discovering a really good fan fiction about one of your favourite moments in a loved book, except it's written by the same author as the book. What a privilege to read the draft of the opening sequence in Mrs Dalloway, where instead of flowers, she goes to buy a pair of gloves. It feels like a peek inside Virginia Woolf's mind, watching the cogs turning. Each short story is profound and fascinating, making me wish it was a longer book. After rea ...more
Kendra Danielle
Bernadette Robinson
This is our July Library Reading Group read and I can't wait to see what the rest of the group think. A very short book of 57 pages, comprising of 7 short stories or as it calls them in the introduction chapters. The only way that you could call them chapters is that they are all set in the lead up to the Party but aren't related to one another in any other way. Why? I have to ask myself are we in anyway interested in them as I found them rather dull and of very little substance. I found my mind ...more
James R. C.  Baker
Spot on! "Fibres of her were floated capriciously this way and that, like tentacles of a sea anemone, how thrilled, now snubbed, and her brain, miles away, cool and distant,up on the air, received messages which it would sum up in time so that, when people talked about Roderick Serle (and he was a bit of a figure) she would say unhesitatingly: 'I like him,' or 'I don't like him,' and her opinion would be made up for ever. An odd thought; a solemn thought; throwing a green light on what human fel ...more
As short story collections go, "Mrs. Dalloway's party" is a miracle. By that I mean that,in general, rating a book of short stories can be quite tricky. Usually they are the proverbial "mixed-bag" of stories you like and dislike in turn, and feel obliged to give a lower rating because you can't reconcile the two disproportionate halves. With "Mrs. Dalloway's Party" this was not my experience. The curation of this volume is near perfect; every single story in it belongs right where it is. Each in ...more
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en

“La fiesta de la señora Dalloway” de Virginia Woolf. Alrededor de la Señora Dalloway.

De la nota de edición de Lumen al libro podemos leer:
“Los siete relatos que componen La fiesta de la señora Dalloway son el complemento ideal de la novela, pues Virginia Woolf los escribió en el período comprendido entre 1922 y 1927, así que, de alguna manera, estos textos rodean y acompañan a La señora Dalloway, que se publicó en 1925.
Dos de ellos sirven de i
Kadidja May
I've never read anything by Woolf before, but I must say that I enjoy her writing style. I can almost hear my old English teacher say how "fine" this writing is, how beautiful those little moments of recognition at the end of most of these short stories are when the characters finally understand something. And I guess I agree with his imaginary comments.

Woolf's narrative technique isn't something you would call conventional though. Her stories pretty much consist of pure streams of consciousness
It's been so long since I've "read," officially, for GoodReads that I had to do another! "Mrs. Dalloway's Party" is a collection of short stories (and what was a draft of Chapter One of "Mrs. Dalloway") which Virginia Woolf wrote during and after her most well-known novel. It was bound up and published posthumously, featuring an intro by Woolf historian Stella McNichol.

In the intro, McNichol touched upon Woolf's fascination with parties, perhaps akin to today's "5 minute dating" events. It was a
Sarah Ann
I really like the idea of a collection of short stories that are thematically linked and the exploration of "party consciousness" in this collection offered an interesting social insight to the truth of the guests' thoughts against the falseness they are socially obliged to display.

I did enjoy this collection but the style wasn't a great example of Virginia Woolf's craft, in my opinion, though I think it would be enriched when re-read in conjunction with Mrs Dalloway.
Some books, and some authors, can be enjoyed distractedly, but these stories by Woolf demand your full attention. I've not read "Mrs. Dalloway" yet, but I am impressed by how Woolf portrays the rich inner life of character after character amid the rather banal setting of a party.

I think this was a fine introduction to Woolf; I'm convinced now that reading her novels will be well worth my time, and I assume this was not her apex, so the best is yet to be experienced.
Nate D
Extended bonus tracks -- a remix / alt version of the opening, plus six party-sequence expansions, broadening the internal landscapes of social obligation and uncertainty in exquisitely rendered single-viewpoints. I actually thought more could have been done with the party itself in Mrs. Dalloway, seeing as such a gathering is a fantastic venue for Woolf's wandering subjective camera techniques, and she evidently agreed.
I love Virginia and I loved this book. Pay zero attention to anyone who says it's shallow or only a show of a great grasp of grammar. That assessment is what's shallow.

Understand these are sketches and drafts of people at parties, absolutely stunning looks into character and motive, in preparation to write Mrs. Dalloway, devour Virginia's prose and beautiful writing, and you too will love it. Pick it up expecting fleshed-out works and you're missing the point.
Some of the stories offer a perspective on the different paths the novel could have taken. The novel is probably sleeker without Mrs. Dalloway wondering whether to buy Cranford for Milly, but I love how she reflects on the episode of the cow in flannel and laments the humor and self-respect(!) that kind of writing embodied.
It's fascinating to follow the alternate routes novel might have taken. But the value of the stories go beyond that. Like her essays and novels, these stories capture "moment
These are little vignettes of characters surrounding the Dalloways. It makes sense that these moments didn't end up in the final book but they add to it by showing how Woolf could peer into the minds of those surrounding her main characters.
Resumo: Um conjunto de 7 contos que Virgínia Woolf escreveu para ilustrar e compreender e servir de apoio ao universo que constitui a festa da Mrs. Dalloway.

Crítica: Este foi o meu primeiro contacto com a escrita de Virginia Woolf e adorei. Tinha receio que ela tivesse uma escrita muito rebuscada ou difícil mas a poesia da sua escrita é maravilhosa. Senti que o seu raciocínio vinha por ondas, começava numa ideia, que puxava para outra e que nos levava a outra ideia, nunca se repetindo e dando co
Alison Gates
I liked Woolf's perspective of writing each chapter about the feelings a guest has at a party, and I thought it interesting that many of these feelings still apply! However, I am not terribly fond of the writing style.
Favorite story was "Ancestors." It never ceases to amaze me how a character can be perfectly encapsulated within four pages and a few run-on sentences.
Belinda G
2.5 stars. Not bad, but not great. I can see why they were cut from Mrs Dalloway for sure.
Fascinated and preoccupied by the idea of this social event,Virginia Woolf wrote this story sequence around the same time as writing the novel Mrs Dalloway. In each of these three stories written in Woolf's distinctive style, the listener is offered glimpses into each character's inner most thoughts and emotions. Woolf depicts the intriguing social world of Mrs Dalloway's party in microscopic detail.

This story, 'Mrs Dalloway in Bond Street', follows Mrs Dalloway as she runs errands and prepares
Niloy Mitra
I think I missed most of the stories :(
Martha Pastor
way too poetic at times, but entertaining nonetheless.
We are all like flies trying to crawl over the edge of the saucer.
In these seven short stories gathered together for the first time, Virginia Woolf explores what she calls "party consciousness." Written during the same time Mrs Dalloway was conceived and written, these stories (and the thoughtful introduction) are an interesting accompaniment and variation on the themes of that novel.
  • Dream Stuff: Stories
  • Complete Shorter Fiction (Oxford World's Classics)
  • Odour of Chrysanthemums
  • All the Conspirators
  • Elementals: Stories of Fire and Ice
  • Matchbox Theatre: Thirty Short Entertainments
  • The Squabble
  • Pictures Or It Didn't Happen (Quick Reads 2015)
  • Mrs. Woolf and the Servants: An Intimate History of Domestic Life in Bloomsbury
  • Stories and Essays of Mina Loy
  • Palladian
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...