Start by marking “Broken Wings” as Want to Read:
Broken Wings

Broken Wings

In a magical world where being different is the norm, why must Rye Woods fear for her life if the truth about her hidden identity is revealed?

When Rye Woods, a fairy, meets the beautiful dryad Flora Withe, her libido, as squashed and hidden as her wings, reawakens along with her heart. But Rye is a poor builder's labourer with a teenage sister to raise, while Flora is a w

Published September 1st 2006 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Broken Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Wings

The Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerWitch Wolf by Winter PenningtonAmbereye by Gill McKnightThe Midnight Hunt by L.L. RaandSanta Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
F/F Paranormal and Urban Fantasy
24th out of 275 books — 363 voters
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
309th out of 1,319 books — 1,649 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiff
Apr 22, 2016 Tiff rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids
Broken Wings by L.-J. Baker is a fantastical tale involving fairies and dryads. As much as it is a fantasy and romance this book deals with some pretty hefty issues as well. Everything from life as an illegal immigrant, class differences, and especially abuse. All of these subjects are discussed in an interesting way that brings depth to our characters, and gives the story dimension.

The main character of the story is a fairy named Rye Woods. Rye works two sometimes three jobs as a laborer to pa
Ronel
Jun 19, 2013 Ronel rated it it was ok
It was an easy read but despite generally liking fantasy and sci-fi, I just could not get into this one.

It felt as if the story suffered from multiple personality disorder. The one moment it felt like reading a fairy tale for children or young adults ---oh, they are having sex. Then, oh cute, the fairies are eating buttercups and drinking honey---oh, they are naked on the floor. Oh wow, they are flying around on brooms and living in trees---uhm, they are stripping each others clothes off.

Not th
lov2laf
3.6 stars.

This was a really odd ball story for me. Overall, I had mixed feelings about it.

I've read a lot of lesfic fantasy books in the last year and this is the first full-length novel involving fairies, wood creatures, goblins and the like so it definitely has a unique setting with different characters. Even the language, swear words and slang used complement the ambience of the story since it revolves around nature terms. The author tackled a lot of different issues ranging from raising a si
Andi Marquette
Oct 16, 2011 Andi Marquette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, spec-fic-stuff
L-J Baker is one of the best writers you may never have heard of. This is her first, released in 2006, and it's a book that I still think about and re-read parts of (and yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Oh, well).

Rye Woods is a fairy who escaped Fairyland in order to give her younger sister, Holly, a better life. Rye took another identity, and she keeps her wings taped securely down beneath her shirt, because fairy-phobia is alive and well in the city where they reside. Should an
Female Person
May 24, 2015 Female Person rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
This was a total snooze fest. The characters absolutely annoying and frustrating, especially Rye and her sister Holly. Flora, poor poor Flora, all I felt for this woman throughout the whole book was sorry. Jeez she kept offering her unconditional love while she was constantly hurt, rejected and disregarded. Throughout their relationship, Rye was completely selfish and narrow minded. The romance was very unengaging. I was not captured by it, I couldn't feel or get a sense of their love.

This book
J. Judkins
Jul 13, 2015 J. Judkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbianfantasy
A good book, although I occasionally wanted to slap some sense into the main character. Very well thought out.
Krazykiwi
Jan 09, 2016 Krazykiwi rated it really liked it
I rarely read romance, I don't much like erotica (although, the heat level on this is pretty low). I'm not queer, and I don't like fairies much. The fae kind. So I quite literally have no idea how I ended up with a lesbian romance set in a world populated with sprites, nymphs, goblins and the occasional fairy. Not. A. Clue. Once I figured out what I had, I almost just deleted it, But oh the blurb was actually intriguing, and the author is a kiwi and I just thought why not.

Turned out, it was pret
Eva
Jan 04, 2016 Eva rated it liked it
The main character, Rye, is an illegal alien from Fairyland. She has been taking care of her younger sister, Holly, for 12 years since they fled their country after Rye's wings were broken as part of a gay cure when she was 19. Almost none of the book supports the idea that they could have successfully managed to avoid notice all these years.

Rye's wings are useless. They have been broken and incorrectly set for 12 years. She has to keep them binded anytime she is public. They cause her a great
Frank Van Meer
This is a fun read and at the same time a commentary on social issues. The best thing is that is wrapped up in a love story set in some futuristic fantasy land, filled with all creatures fairy and fey. Fairies with cellphones? Sign me up.

I think about every issue is covered here, from illigal immigrants to homophobia. I love it that Rey is so social awkward. I stopped counting the sentences that started with "Um." Yet at the same time she works her butt of to provide a life and education for her
Sally
The latter third or so was what made me give this four stars instead of three. I liked the first part a lot, but for me there was far too much sex, and it started to feel gratuitous... actually, it felt that way from the first time they did it, in the flying carpet.

ALSO. Since when do *carpets* have windows and tops and doors and boots? Gah. :P

But I liked Rye a lot, she was a great character. Flora, I didn't see the huge appeal in so I wasn't as invested in their relationship as much as I would
Megan
Aug 31, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
When I stated this book, I nearly put it down after the first couple of pages where the main character's broom dies and she's forced to walk to her sister's school.

First thought "omigod, this is going to be too cute for words". My last thought "omigod, its three o'clock in the morning. Wow, that was a good book." Obviously it grew on me.

The story revolves around a fairy named Rye Woods who, with her younger sister, has escaped from a the ultra conservative and religious fairy realm. The two ar
Agirlcandream
May 21, 2013 Agirlcandream rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.
Fantasy is not my go to genre. Sure I grew up devouring Tolkien's LOTR and Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern. But then I became that boring adult who only had time for "literature."
Thank you L.J. Baker for bringing me back to a genre I forgot how much I truly enjoy. I loved the imagery and the world of dryads, fairies and sylphs. I got a kick out of the nature related expletives and the various ways to make algae and borage sound tasty. I may just start spouting Oh Branch instead
ybnrmalatall
I felt the fear in Rye, that is the only thing that seemed to stick throughout the story. I didn't feel the love between the main couple, nor did I like in any way Holly. She was an annoying typical teenager with horrible acting you would see on a bad 80's sitcom or worse, in commercials. It was just pathetic how petty she sounded. Teenagers have a little more going on in their head.
Elaine Burnes
May 27, 2009 Elaine Burnes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian
I really enjoyed Broken Wings. Don't be turned off by the fact that it's fantasy with fairies (I almost was). It is a fun romp, but it also has a very serious side. The characters are extremely vivid and likable. In this fantasy world, magic brooms break down and teenagers are still teenagers. Rye Woods is just a struggling builder's laborer, trying to raise her teenage sister, Holly, who's an absolute stitch. Rye meets and falls for a successful artist named Flora, who Holly happens to idolize. ...more
Queen
Jul 26, 2014 Queen rated it really liked it
Although this was a fantasy, it is really relatable to real life. A lot of themes and ideas in this book made me think and reflect on our current world. Most of them resonated with me. It was also frustrating at times because a lot of Rye's actions were repetitive. Nonetheless, it is definitely a book I'd recommend.
Rose
Jul 11, 2016 Rose rated it really liked it
I really loved Baker's writing style, and the setting of the book was phenomenal. I couldn't put it down until I hit certain points. This my be weird but I don't usually enjoy when stories have truly depressing life situations, especially ones that hit home for me. I read books to escape that kind of stuff. So there was a point in this book I just had to put it down and walk away for a while before picking it back up later the same day and finishing it. It's an amazing book and well worth the re ...more
Natasja Hellenthal
Jun 15, 2013 Natasja Hellenthal rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-f-fantasy
Although I really tried to like this book and did find some things original such as having to hide her wings(but not the strange eating habits which was just weird). I just couldn't warm to the characters. There was too much swearing, which for me spoilt it and the story was a bit unbelievable and the plot hard going. I had to stop half way through, because I found myself only wanting to find out what happened to Rye and her sister (will they be deported back to Fairyland?) but did not enjoy the ...more
Spectre
Mar 15, 2009 Spectre rated it it was amazing
L-J Baker’s Broken Wings is a creative romp through a world inhabited with fairies, dryads, and numerous other mythical creatures. Have no worries about this story falling in fantasy clichés, however. These characters are rich, creative renderings while the plot is full of wry humor and thought-provoking issues. I highly recommend for any reader wanting to immerse him/herself in a truly unique world.
Tracey
Aug 02, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I rarely write a review and if there better than a five star rating I would give it. The wonderful emotional journey that Rye Woods travels will have you laughing and sobbing. The world is so realistic despite the mythological creatures inhabiting it. You can imagine the events unfolding in our own society all too easily. Highly recommend to anyone and everyone.
Breyonna Morgan
Jan 24, 2016 Breyonna Morgan rated it it was amazing
"Me In You" successfully describes the feelings that i have when I am with the one that I love. I haven't come across anything else that even comes close to describing that feeling.
Kylla
Mar 01, 2013 Kylla rated it it was amazing
It really drag me into fantasies of fairy world. And how hard Rye struggle to feed her little sister, Holly, and both of them. But the ending just great feeling ever !!!
~Anita~
Dec 15, 2012 ~Anita~ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, f-f
Enthralling. It is always pleasant to read good f/f. I also liked that one of the major characters was a fibre artist
Rachel Miller
May 05, 2013 Rachel Miller rated it it was amazing
Broken Wings was such a fantastic book. I highly recommend it. I didn't want the story to end.
Jeanne
Mar 10, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Slow but very interesting. I am not much in to fantasy but it told a nice story.
Britni
May 21, 2013 Britni rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book!! It was a really fun read!
Fastwinstondoom
Apr 27, 2011 Fastwinstondoom rated it it was amazing
Adorable!
Laya
Laya marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Chris H
Chris H rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Shereen Cheah
Shereen Cheah rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Silver Collar (Garoul, #4)
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • The Spanish Pearl (Kate Vincent Adventures, #1)
  • Rebel's Quest (Supreme Constellations, #2)
  • The Clinic (Tristaine, #1)
  • Innocent Hearts
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Coyote Sky
L-J Baker lives in New Zealand with her civilly united spouse, more cats than is sensible, and various other critters. She spent a long time at school pursuing studies that had nothing to do with writing. She is the site admin for the online Lesbian Fiction Forum. And, yes, L-J really is her whole name.
More about L.-J. Baker...