Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  16,737 ratings  ·  88 reviews
In the nineteenth century, Dr. Victor Frankenstein brought his notorious creation to life, but a horrible turn of events forced him to abandon it and slip away from the public eye. Two centuries later, a serial killer is on the loose in New Orleans, gruesomely salvaging body parts from each of his victims, as if trying to assemble a perfect human being.

Detective Carson O’...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Del Rey/Dabel Brothers (first published 2008)

John
I am kinda surprised I had not heard of Koontz’s Frankenstein series before. I am a big, big fan of the original. I was excited to read it. However, the first book is very disappointing.
I don’t think I have read Koontz before. I am not big on pop lit. It’s a page turner for sure, the pacing from the gate is high. But I found it predictable and lacking any depth.
Spoiler alert: Who could not see that one of the other detectives would be dirty? Who could not see the we’re-partners-but-secretly-lo...more
Giovanni Gelati
The graphic novel is based on the New York Times bestselling novel by Dean Koontz & Kevin J. Anderson. This is my first read on a Koontz work and I really enjoyed it. His update on the old story just fit together so well and made so much sense it was hard not to enjoy it. I want to share with you a few pieces of the graphic novel that I really enjoyed. Here is Dean Koontz from the intro: ”This is why it seemed to me appropriate to update the Frankenstein legend to our time. We live in a hubr...more
Cyberpope
This is my review of the whole series.

for me Koontz is "Stephen King for grownups"

This series picks up an alternate reality to Shelley's novel about the creation of a new man by a mad scientist.

In this one, Dr. Frankenstein lives on, &, through funding by various megalomaniacs through the ages, & his discovery of a means to personal longevity, has perfected his new race & the assembly line type system for creating these new humans, who self-heal, have no emotions(when no malfunctions...more
Angel
I had heard of the book (the novel this is based on), but I did not give it much thought, figuring it was just another Frankenstein remake or such. I picked up the graphic novel on a whim, and I am glad I did. This is not just a remake, but a very thoughtful look at the classic in a new way. It is framed as a mystery/detective story, but it has a lot more. Who are the detectives really chasing? The homicidal serial killer, or the doctor who made him? And what does Deucalion, the mysterious tatto...more
Feb 06, 2014 John rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
By comparison, this makes I, FRANKENSTEIN seem respectful to the source material.
Brian
I had never read any of Dean Koontz's books until now. Incredibly creative and beautifully descriptive language. "She was wound up tighter than a dreadlock"! I like the way this book reworks the "who is the monster" question. I'm having a hard time finding the sequel but when I do, it's going to be another fast and great read.
Dan
Great story and amazing art combine to make this a must read for fans of the supernatural. Koontz takes Shelly's original story and updates it for the 21st Century. Gotta love Frankenstein's monster (note: the monster is NOT named "Frankenstein") hanging out in a Buddhist monastery near the Himalayan mountains as a story opener.
John
This book is an interesting and modern twist on an old story. I found the book to be engrossing and very entertaining. There were numerous characters and sub plots that were woven together nicely. The author also explores the human mind and the source of happiness. I definitely plan on reading more books from this series.
Gwen Rainey
An interesting twist on the monsters story. Good characters and just creepy enough.
Lillyth
Such fun re-imagining of the original stories. I loved all the books!
Jeremy Yoder
Frankenstein: Prodigal Son Volume 1 is a graphic novel adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel which updates Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to contemporary New Orleans. Almost two hundred years after his creation, Deucalion comes to the Crescent City in search for his creator while a mysterious serial killer seems to be collecting body parts from his victims. Meanwhile in a former hospital, Victor Frankenstein (now known as Victor Helios) quietly builds an army of super humans for a future war that will...more
Melissa
Dean Koontz wrote a great introduction about why he chose to redo the story of Frankstein. This is my first comic book so I'm sorry if my review is on the short side. My boyfriend got Prodigal Son for me from the library, because he knows I'm a Dean Koontz fan. I quickly got into the story and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The art is really good and the colors used are amazing. I liked how this is a very modern take on a classic novel! People are popping up all over a Louisi...more
Kate  K. F.
This awkward retelling of Frankenstein moves the story forward into the modern world by using the device of Deucalion, who was supposedly Dr. Frankenstein's creature and has lived through time. The story begins when he's in an Eastern monastery and then a letter takes him to New Orleans where the story slips into the rather cliched realm of genetic manipulation and serial killers to portray what has happened to Dr. Frankenstein. Due to the violence that is shown in this story, it would only be a...more
Jeremy Duphorn
Very entertaining remake of the old classic. I loved the way Koontz kept pieces of the history of Frankenstein's creation in tact but gave both characters a new storyline. A mad scientist that is into cloning a race of slaves for himself and his first creation out to get even for ever being created. The trilogy was excellent. Read it twice in-fact. The fourth book was a disappointment though and The story could've lived without it.
Brian Turner
A spate of gruesome murders in new Orleans have the police running around trying to catch them.
A letter from a friend brings Deucalion, the original Frankenstein's monster to the town.
The police and Deucalion soon find each other, and he has to try and convince of the truth behind his creation.

Good characters, plenty of twists and an ending that will lead nicely into book 2
Theda Black
I love the old classic monsters - Frankenstein, Dracula, werewolves; so I was looking forward to the graphic novel adaptation of Dean's Koontz's story. However, I was disappointed to find myself uninvolved in the story or the characters enough to care about what happens next. I suppose I like the original monster, Deucalion, but the problem for me is that he's the ONLY character I cared enough about to continue reading into the next part. Det. Carson O'Connor is supposed to be the heroine, but I...more
Remington Rand
Koontz is so good that he makes writing break-neck paced thrillers look easy. He can pack a description of an entire setting into five words, like a poet.

This book began as a TV script and that heritage shows. Though he sketches in several appealing characters, there are so many to follow and the snippet from each character's POV is so short, you don't really have time to get involved with the leads and root hard for them. That leaves it all up to pace to carry the story.

Koontz loves the notion...more
Steve
This book does not transition from setting the stage to playing out the plot very well. The first half of this book is refreshing, surprising, and well paced. But the second half gets bogged down with reminders, random useless stuff, and minor stretching of the mythology set up in the first half.

Regardless of giving only 3 stars, I think this book is worth reading. This is especially true if you like fast-paced storytelling with major plot developments occurring often. The writing style is only...more
John Stone
The premise that a 200 year old monster is still alive is easier to accept than new creations are perfectly grown with brains that can be exactly downloaded with any information of Victor's design. I was let down by the fate of the copy-cat murderer. He had a rich background but seemed under-used and only served one purpose. I did liked the contrast between the hideous "monster" that is mentally stable and moral with the beautiful, unstable and immoral new creations. I hope Koontz doesn't miss t...more
Kathy
This series is one of my favorites, five in the series, I did the audio versions n believe me still hard to beat....
Samantha
This has been a very interesting twist on the Frankenstein story. This book was not action filled but in my opinion, the suspense of what is going to happen next kept me wanting to read it. Some of the events are predictable, though. I am looking forward to reading the second book in the series.
Nancy Carbajal
Creepy...this reworking of Frankenstiens Monster by Shelly has given me the heebejeebies. Thank goodness I take medication for anxiety. Victor Frankenstein is alive and well and living in New Orleans. His plan? To make a new world with his new race, a race that is slowley and methodically coming apart. His first creation is also alive and finds himself now in partnership with two of New Orleans finest to stop the now named Victor Helios. Looks like with time the monster has become more human and...more
Despair Speaking
This was seriously bad.

I had liked the book version so I was curious on what the graphic novel looked like. The beginning was promising at least. So the drawings were a little discouraging, but it was detailed. As I progressed though, I realized that, if you didn't read the book before you read this, you wouldn't understand a lot of things. Some of the things in the book weren't portrayed properly or weren't portrayed at all. The graphic novel has holes in them and appears rushed.

I recommend you...more
Pen Pen
Originally, I balked about reading the Frankenstein books by Koontz. I believed no one should try and improve on Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein. Koontz didn't improve on it: he wrote his own Frankenstein. Neither better nor worse, just different.

I finally listened to the audiobook of this first installment that a co-worker of mine had checked out from her library. I fell in love with it. The characters Koontz created are engaging and wonderfully believable.

Now I'm a big fan of this series....more
J.
Solid, but nothing really amazing. The mad scientist routine is a little outdated--and, yeah, I know this is a "retelling" of Frankenstein, but it's actually the same character--Victor Frankenstein, so you can't really expect much new other than test tubes and genesplicing instead of grave robbing. But the plot line was interesting enough, and the serial killer angle kept me engaged.

Also, this book shouldn't exist by itself, because it has NO resolution. And the art is horrid.
Ravin Maurice
I was thoroughly impressed by this graphic novel. It prompted me to go out and by the rest of the novel series, I had the first two already, and to dive right in to the first novel.
Its a brilliant interpretation of the frankenstein story with interesting and captivating characters, although I must admit that I loved the Carson character more once I started reading the first novel. Any fans of the series, of frankenstein, or Dean Koontz in general should pick this up
Jenny
M
Writer Dean Koontz tackles a modern-day twist on the Frankenstein mythos. The "monster," Deucalion, is a scarred being studying with monks - until a letter from an old friend sends him back on the road to track down his creator. The idea of Victor as a body shop scientist looking to create a perfect utopia is great - the tortured protagonist is still a shadow of a character. We'll need to see more before we can consider Koontz's interpretation a success.
Dan Blair
I was so looking forward to reading this when I first discovered it. I've been a fan of Dean Koontz for many years and I thought that he could do something truly incredible with the concept of Frankenstein and the monster. Unfortunately this was a terrible let down. The writing was juvenile at best, as though it was aimed at pre-teens. Perhaps my expectations were too high but this book falls far short of Koontz' other works.
This was a really great graphic novel. It is defiantly not for anyone but adults. I absolutely love the concept. Its a total different way of looking at Dr. Frankenstein. Not sure why so many people think that the monster is Frankenstein, but he isn't. I haven't read the books yet, but they are on my to be read list. If you like Dean Koontz or even the Frankenstein series, I would defiantly check out the graphic novel.

• Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #3)
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • The Key to Midnight
  • Chase
  • Darkness
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w...more
More about Chuck Dixon...
Batman: Cataclysm Batman: Bruce Wayne, Murderer? Robin: Year One The Hobbit: Graphic Novel Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 1 (New Edition)