Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games

Doctor Who: The Sontaran Games (Doctor Who: Quick Reads #4)

Published (first published February 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Jacquelyn
Jun 04, 2015 Jacquelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
Not entirely accurate on Ten, or the Sontarans, and it felt open, loose. I read that these shorter DW stories are geared toward children, to be something short and interesting and maybe get them to read more in general. That makes sense, as the humans in this story are kids. But it only made me miss Ten more.
Amanda
Aug 10, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
I am a huuuuuge Doctor Who fan, and my favorite Doctor is definitely David Tennant's Doctor. That being said, if you are not already a Doctor Who fan, this book is probably not for you. You will be totally lost, because it references things that happened in the TV series fairly frequently.

I was trying to pin this down to see if the Sontaran Games were more like the Olympic Games or the Hunger Games. Based on the name ("Globe Games"), the use of teenager athletes, and the specialization of each a
Dave Story
Oct 02, 2012 Dave Story rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was my first Doctor Who "quick read" book. I was interested in how a Doctor Who adventure would look in less than half the pages. To my surprise, I actually liked the flow of it better than the full-sized novels.

The pacing is quick and snappy (like a Doctor Who story should be?), with no time for lengthy descriptions or too much character development - we get that from the show. Instead, you get a story with characters you already know, acting the way they should, just diving into the thick
Kirstie Ellen
May 16, 2015 Kirstie Ellen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Whovians
Shelves: doctor-who, sci-fi
Being one of the quick reads The Sontaran Games takes about an hour to read, yet still manages to be really quite good. I gave it 3/5 because whilst it's good for it is, it wasn't incredible. Featuring David Tennant as the Doctor (and a very dead-on impersonation at that) we meet several athletes at an academy called BASE. They're basically training to becoming Olympians (on a very extreme scale). Meanwhile, the Sontarans invade the academy and The Doctor has to solve the murders that have, and ...more
Megan
Aug 09, 2013 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Younger Doctor Who fans
The Sontaran Games is a Quick Reads book which is part of the 'Quick Reads Initiative' to get kids in the UK to read more. This book is short, only 98 pages long.

I decided to pick up this book because it features my favorite monster of the week, the Sontarans! Sadly Rayner doesn't quite get the Sontarans right. I'm glad she keeps with the Sontaran tradition of experimenting on their enemies but that's as far she goes. They way the Doctor and the teenaged athletes defeat the Sontarans was really
Alissa
The tenth Doctor arrives at BASE on Earth, a fierce training facility for athletes hoping to compete in the Globe Games, and finds out that several deaths have occurred - and each has happened just when the lights went out. Worried that any police inquiries would spoil their chances of being chosen for the games, the young athletes have been covering up the deaths. At least there won't be anyone in the way while the Doctor investigates...except the Sontarans systematically taking over the BASE, ...more
Megan
Jan 15, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
The Sontaran Games takes the Doctor to an academy where people train for the Globe Games, which are similar to the Olympics. However, as usual, as soon as he arrives there's trouble that he had to stop and a mystery he has to solve.

This was a fun and quick read. It's the first Doctor Who quick book I've read, but I will definitely be giving the other ones like it a try.

Recommended if you love Doctor Who and are looking for something light to read really quickly.
MJ
May 01, 2014 MJ rated it really liked it
It was not lacking in action, just that everything seemed rushed, from the beginning, to the Sontaran Games and the ending.

The plot of this story would have most probably have bern better with a longer novel.

Still, as a Doctor Who story, it did deliver. I just wished it had been longer and more well-paced.
Adam
Jul 16, 2014 Adam rated it liked it
3.5, but Goodreads doesn't do halves.

An entertaining read. It's nice to find a shorter story that doesn't feel rushed. The plot seemed to suit the length just fine. I found the writing to be a little simplistic in places, but given the point of the 'Quick Reads' series, it makes sense.
Ingibjörg Elefsen
Dec 01, 2014 Ingibjörg Elefsen rated it really liked it
Okay I actually really liked this book! I could clearly see David Tennant do everything while reading and that was of course enjoyable because hey... who doesn't love him as the Doctor?
Chloé
Sep 25, 2016 Chloé rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 2.75 Stars

I enjoyed this little book, though I did have a few major problems with it. The writing style was super choppy and didn't flow at all. The characters felt a bit one dimensional and flat. And honestly, this read like a mediocre fan fiction. I wouldn't go around recommending this book, but it wasn't bad. I liked the concept, but it was lacking in execution.
Melyssa
Sep 20, 2012 Melyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vo, doctorwho
L'avantage des Quick reads, c'est qu'en 3 pages on et déjà très intimes avec tout le monde et dans les ennuis jusqu'au cou. D'ailleurs on ne peut nier que malgré le peu de mots disponibles, l'auteur a réussi à faire des personnages secondaires avec un minimum d'intérêt et de profondeur. Emma est particulièrement intéressante, je dois dire. Et particulièrement dégourdie.

Fort heureusement qu'elle l'est d'ailleurs puisque pour contrebalancer, le Docteur de son côté est souvent totalement largué et
Helen
Aug 31, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing
Every time the lights go out, someone dies...The Tardis lands at an academy for top athletes, all hoping to be chosen for the forthcoming Globe Games. But is one of them driven enough to resort to murder? The Doctor discovers that the students have been hushing up unexplained deaths. Teaming up with a young swimmer called Emma, the Doctor begins to investigate - but he doesn't expect to find a squad of Sontarans invading the academy! As the Sontarans begin their own lethal version of the Globe ...more
Siskoid Albert
Jan 17, 2012 Siskoid Albert rated it it was ok
A "Quick Reads" novella about Sontarans testing human athletes. As with much of Rayner's written work, it's a bit silly and the happy coincidences pile up until you can't be sure the Doctor was really any GOOD. However, it passes by quickly and unlike some other Quick Reads I've sampled, stuff actually happens and keeps happening throughout. I've felt that, sometimes, the writer for these wrote a single encounter (if you'll permit the RPG vernacular) and padded out the front to make it a "whole" ...more
Mikael Kuoppala
Mar 24, 2013 Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
Jacqueline Rayner is one of the most prolific but also one of the most reliable Doctor Who authors. She has a solid track record of producing stories that are smart in content, rich in prose and innovative in ideas. With "The Sontaran Games" she delivers one of her less original works.

A tale of an academy of human athletes taken over by Sontaran sports fans(...) is rather ridiculous to start with, and considering that Raynor actually manages to fare surprisingly well. The end result is rather fo
Randy
Apr 17, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Who lands on Earth at a school for athletes that compete in the Games. He gets involved in a series of murders by electrocutions even before the Sontarans arrive.

They are looking for something and wanting to assess the capabilities of Humans. They set up their own versions of the Games where death is the penalties for the losers.

The Doctor, the tenth by the way, must save the young athletes, as many as he can anyway, and learn what they are looking for.

Not a bad book. A short, quick read
Paul
Oct 28, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Review written: sometime before April 20, 2015

The Sontaran Games by Jacqueline Rayner

Why I read it: Not more Doctor Who!

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: Decent enough, though it was hard to visualise the setting and none of the side characters massively impressed. Nice twist though, and some of the Doctor's shenanigans are pretty darn entertaining. Still not sure what the Sontarans were up to.
Rosemary Reeve
Jun 11, 2011 Rosemary Reeve rated it did not like it
Shelves: doctor-who
I don't know exactly how to put my finger on it, but this book was just off. The Doctor was off, the whole setting was off. There was too much story that got pushed through given the book's few pages. And *so many* people died! Death is pretty common in Doctor Who, but people were dropping like flies and this book is targeted at an even younger reader than the regular Doctor Who books, and those are pretty simplistic as it is!
Michael
Feb 04, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Indeed a "Quick Read". As a fan of Dr. Who this is not the worst way to spend and hour or so, the uninitiated may lack context (Time Lords? T.A.R.D.I.S?). The story's quite entertaining and could have been made into a decent episode of the TV show, I pictured Christopher Eccleston as the "right" Doctor for this one. The writing is rather simplistic, but I assume that's part of the "Quick Reads" concept.
Uliamos
Jul 21, 2010 Uliamos rated it really liked it
Started this book in my lunch break yesterday, then continued reading on the train home and I was that intrigued I decided to go to bed early and finish it. So to sum it up, for me this is the best and most gripping story of the Doctor Who Quick Reads so far. It had its flaws, mostly because it was obvious who the shape shifter was, but even then the story still had a nice twist. And Jacqueline Rayner found some perfect last lines.
Anu
Oct 26, 2013 Anu rated it liked it
"The Sontaran Games" is darker than the other Doctor Who Quickreads books that I've read. Also, the plot was quite predictable. However, it's an exciting read and the Doctor has no companion in this book and must handle everything himself. It also ties in very well with the TV series as the Doctor's loneliness is very evident in the book after he loses all his companions. Again, a must-read for all Whovians.
Donavan
Sep 05, 2016 Donavan rated it liked it
No messing around.
Jessica Stout
Sep 14, 2014 Jessica Stout rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! The tenth doctor is amazing and this book captures his personality perfectly. What Doctor Who book is ever bad. This one was awesome. The tenth doctor thrown in an arena to fight for his life? what is better than that. The Sontaran Games was funny, clever, and fun. For a quick read book, it was delightful. Only thing bad,it made me want more.
Olivia K Nieder
Light Read Indeed

I overall enjoyed this book. The Sontarans are an alien race in Doctor Who that I am not fond of, but it was a nice insight on how they are like historically, and it was nice to encounter their enemy. We all know that the Sontarans are in a war, but we never got to meet with who.
M
Jul 01, 2012 M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
A bit too short and simple, but still good. Also slightly too sad and a bit pointless. Well, I still liked it. Probably just because the Doctor was running around in rubber boots and he looked funny. What can I say? I'm easily entertained... The writing quality was decent, or at least not very bad.
If you love the Doctor, you might want to read it.
Seth Tucker
Sep 23, 2013 Seth Tucker rated it really liked it
This is the best tenth Doctor quick reads that does not feature one of the seriers companions. It was an interesting story and I felt the Sontarans were perfectly captured and the Doctor was written with an amazing brilliance that truly did justice to the character. So for any Who fans out there this book will definitely be an enjoyable read.
Vera
Sep 11, 2013 Vera rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, 2013
I really love Doctor Who and I think David Tennant is the best doctor. This story was pretty cool, but it was very simple. But what else couls you expect from a quick read? Therefor I rate it 4 stars.
Anna
Mar 14, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: who-books
Really good quick read. Enjoyed it. The author hit the mark on David Tenant's mannerisms for the most part. I could picture his big goofy grin and his smart attitude as he talked back to the Sontarans. Good book.
Matthew Vandrew
May 05, 2014 Matthew Vandrew rated it did not like it

OK, this was exceptionally bad. Sontarans act like a bunch of psychotic killers, murdering frightened students just for fun. And they must be having a great time because they immediately forget why they invaded the academy in the first place. Oh, and I figured out the big twist immediately.

Cat {Wild Night In}
At only 98 pages, this really was a quick read! Nonetheless, it was a pleasant one and despite the length, was packed with all the action of a T.V. episode of the programme. One for the fans, for sure.
  • Doctor Who: Revenge of the Judoon
  • Doctor Who: Sick Building
  • Doctor Who: Wishing Well
  • Doctor Who: Hunter's Moon
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Destruction
Jacqueline Rayner is a best selling British author, best known for her work with the licensed fiction based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.

Her first professional writing credit came when she adapted Paul Cornell's Virgin New Adventure novel Oh No It Isn't! for the audio format, the first release by Big Finish. (The novel featured the character of Bernice S
More about Jacqueline Rayner...

Doctor Who: Quick Reads (7 books)
  • Doctor Who: I Am a Dalek